Respected Contributor

I'm assuming they ask for your ss# and not sure I want to give that info out.

Has anyone used them?

Honored Contributor

Yes.  My info is correct.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

you don't worry about them having your ss# and where it might end up?

Esteemed Contributor

I use it often.  It is accurate and no problems.

Respected Contributor

I use Credit Karma and it was quite helpful when I was getting my Home Equity line of credit this summer.  I don't remember whether they required my social.

They make their profit (the credit check is free) by offering customers Visas, car loans, etc. at the rates approrpriate to your credit score.

Honored Contributor

CK only asks for the last 4 digits of your SS#

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I've read several reviews on financial websites and in various magazines about Credit Karma and everyone has said they are legit. There is no way around giving out your social to get  your FICO score.

Many other sites are just guesstimating what your score would be and are not accurate.

CK doesn't ask you to put in any bank account number or credit card info. so it's not a site where you are signing up for a free trial and they charge you a monthly fee if you don't cancel.

Some are predicting this site won't last long since they can't be making enough money to provide this service. 

Just be careful you are going to the real Credit Karma site as there are others out there like Kredit Karma, Credit Carma, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

you don't worry about them having your ss# and where it might end up?

no

Valued Contributor

absolutely legit, they actually get your credit scores from Transunion and Equifax,  

Super Contributor

Credit Karma is legit, but I found my score to be different depending on who is checking. DH and I took out a small loan at the bank, and they used a different site and both our scores were higher than CK. We decided to check on a new car, and they used another different site, and again the scores were different.

To be sure what's going on we check every site to see how many points the discrepancy is. The bank told us that they don't use the same criteria as the car dealerships or credit card companies, etc. As long as we stay in the excellent range, that's okay.

tea