Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting Study of 1200 Children Worldwide

@Karnerblue wrote:

@Maudelynn, are you trying to make a point here?

What's yours?

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

Only 1200 subjects? Too small a survey group to make such wide-sweeping generalizations.

Trusted Contributor

I don't believe this for a second. 

Valued Contributor

It is a statistically significant number. Studies are not done without using subjects in statistically significant quantities.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Trusted Contributor

I think that this makes perfect sense.  The "community" promoted in churches is typically limited to those within that particular "community".  "Tight-knit" is considered a positive quality in churches.  Evangelism and fundamentalism is based on converting others because conversion is deemed by the religion as an "improvement" in ones beliefs.  When someone knocks on my door to convince me of the "right" way of thinking, they aren't being respectful of MY way of thinking.  They feel that their faith is superior to mine, and that I would benefit from becoming more like them.  I think that anyone with a deep faith in anything believes that their way of thinking is "superior" to others.  

Children are like sponges. They comprehend this message loud and clear.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn

Assuming the tot pictured is an offspring of yours, which would you say is best for him/her?

Trusted Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

I wanted to add that the religious group was comprised of Christian and Muslim children.

Full disclosure to include all groups and test in the study: 

IMO ... Interesting study results with such limited testing.

To examine the influence of religion on the expression of altruism, Decety and his colleagues asked more than 1,100 children between the ages of five and twelve from the US, Canada, Jordan, Turkey, South Africa, and China to play a game in which they were asked to make decisions about how many stickers to share with an anonymous person from the same school and a similar ethnic group.

Most of the children came from households that identified as Christian, Muslim, or not religious. The study also included smaller numbers of children from Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, and agnostic home

The children became more generous with age, consistent with earlier studies. But their religious rearing environment also fundamentally shaped their altruistic tendencies, with more-religious children showing less generosity. Importantly, the researchers report, children who were the most altruistic came from atheist or non-religious families.

The data also show that religious children judged interpersonal harm as being meaner and deserving of harsher punishment than did children from non-religious households. Those findings are consistent with past research in adults showing that religiousness is directly related to increased intolerance for and punitive attitudes toward interpersonal offenses, including the probability of supporting harsh penalties.

"A common-sense notion is that religiosity has a positive association with self-control and moral behaviors," Decety said. "This view is unfortunately so deeply embedded that individuals who are not religious can be considered morally suspect. In the United States, for instance, non-religious individuals have little chance to be elected to a high political office, and those who identify as agnostic and atheist are considered to be less trustworthy and more likely to be amoral or even immoral. Thus, it is generally admitted that religion shapes people's moral judgments and prosocial behavior, but the relation between religiosity and morality is actually a contentious one, and not always positive."

Decety says he is now in the process of expanding the work to include children of ages four to eight in 14 countries—Canada, China, Cuba, Colombia, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Turkey, Jordan, Taiwan, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Norway, and Mexico

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-11-religion-kids.html#jCp.

Honored Contributor

Just when you think you have heard it all.  I'm speechless......which is probably a good thing!  This test does not have the faintest hint of wisdom and knowledge of children.  Five to twelve yr. olds.....  " vengeance and judgement"?????  Those two words gave the people away who ran this test. This is all the time I intend to give to this...it's just so ridiculous.     

Valued Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

It is a statistically significant number. Studies are not done without using subjects in statistically significant quantities.

It is not a statistically significant number, and studies are done all the time using insignificant quantities.  The researcher determines the pool of subjects.

How do I know this is not a statistically significant number (besides common sense in comparing 1200 to the total number of children in this age group to the total number on the planet?). I have 2 degrees in mathematics, and have studied statistics. 

Esteemed Contributor

400 is usually considered an appropriate and reliable # for a political poll. that makes 1200 significant and probably more reliable.