Esteemed Contributor

Re: Income Taxes - Does Anyone Else Do This?

My accountant filed on paper for years until last year. I don't know if this is true or not, but he said by law now you have to file online. He said he much prefers to do it on paper and now he's obligated to file online. So far, so good. He didn't mess up last years taxes, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/14/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

Hey, Hi, KittyMomNC: Just read your post! Funny we should meet here, of all places! (Not intentional, BTW. Just coincidence. Trying to 'get away' to a better place.........lol)

Hi ROMARY! I gave up on the other one. I just don't understand why people think just because we don't necessarily want things to keep changing so much, that we're incapable of handling it when they do. I'm a realistic person - like I think most people are - we'll go with the flow when we have to, or maybe sometimes before we have to, but we just don't have to like it! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

My ""tax guy"" files it electronically for us.

I have been working on getting stuff ready this week to take in. And then working on FAFSA too. Will be so glad when I don't have to do FAFSA anymore!

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 scotttie said:

My "tax guy" files it electronically for us.

I have been working on getting stuff ready this week to take in. And then working on FAFSA too. Will be so glad when I don't have to do FAFSA anymore!

one good thing about the FAFSA form.....you can transfer MOST of the information from one student to another, which eliminates a lot of the extra typing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2015 sunshine45 said:

one good thing about the FAFSA form.....you can transfer MOST of the information from one student to another, which eliminates a lot of the extra typing.

Yeah, and it is easier when you can do that "transfer" from your taxes but we hadn't had our taxes done yet and the FAFSA was due. Oy! I think I have it about ready now. Groan.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 sunshine45 said:

Yeah, and it is easier when you can do that "transfer" from your taxes but we hadn't had our taxes done yet and the FAFSA was due. Oy! I think I have it about ready now. Groan.

we have not done ours yet either so we just use last years figures and then go back in and do a revision once they are complete. i let the kids do their own with me providing the figures.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I help with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program and the software is a pain. Would much rather do it on paper.... especially for extra forms like Schedule C. It takes me longer to figure out which boxes to check vs doing it from scratch just following the forms....but I'm sure it is easier with different software. And since I want my refund ASAP, I always efile..
Super Contributor

On 3/14/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I know folks who get 'return receipt requested' (or whatever it's called) at the post office, when mailing their forms/payments/whatever. That way, they receive confirmation that the gov. received their forms/payments/whatever. Makes sense.

You can also get a Receipt of Mailing. It's a receipt that they stamp for you at the post office and if your mail didn't get where it's supposed to, you have confirmation of it being sent. Although, it won't track the item for you.

It's about $1.79.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2015 BlingQueen022 said:

My accountant filed on paper for years until last year. I don't know if this is true or not, but he said by law now you have to file online. He said he much prefers to do it on paper and now he's obligated to file online. So far, so good. He didn't mess up last years taxes, lol.

Professional preparers have to file electronically. I don't know when or if that will ever apply to those who do their own taxes.

Valued Contributor

I know married filing separately couldn't efile a few years ago. Not sure if it changed.