Respected Contributor

Re: Incessive Dog Barking....

@chickenbutt Amen!

Regular Contributor

I have a mini dachshund "Julio" who is very much a barker. Whenever he goes outside in my fenced in backyard, I go out with him. He barks at other dogs that are on walks and the door to door solicitors.. My next door neighbors could not stand his barking, even though he is NEVER left out alone and has never barked for hours. I've lived in my home for 19 years. The neighbors are new. THEY use a SILENT WHISTLE on my dog. It shuts him up immediately. He goes and hides by the tree. I told the sheriff and they lied and said they didn't use one. The sheriffs do not do anything so I would just avoid that unless the dog has no food and water and housing.

Silent dog whistles work. Just don't let the owner see you use it. You can even buy fake bird houses that have silent dog whistles.

My heart hurts for my Julio because he is at the mercy of their mood. After all, I pay my taxes, fenced in my yard and am a very responsible dog owner. He is a good dog.

So from both sides of the coin, so to speak, there is one solution that I for one , knows that works.

Respected Contributor

@peggyhbsl wrote:

I have a mini dachshund "Julio" who is very much a barker. Whenever he goes outside in my fenced in backyard, I go out with him. He barks at other dogs that are on walks and the door to door solicitors.. My next door neighbors could not stand his barking, even though he is NEVER left out alone and has never barked for hours. I've lived in my home for 19 years. The neighbors are new. THEY use a SILENT WHISTLE on my dog. It shuts him up immediately. He goes and hides by the tree. I told the sheriff and they lied and said they didn't use one. The sheriffs do not do anything so I would just avoid that unless the dog has no food and water and housing.

Silent dog whistles work. Just don't let the owner see you use it. You can even buy fake bird houses that have silent dog whistles.

My heart hurts for my Julio because he is at the mercy of their mood. After all, I pay my taxes, fenced in my yard and am a very responsible dog owner. He is a good dog.

So from both sides of the coin, so to speak, there is one solution that I for one , knows that works.

I understand.  I had shelties and taught them not to bark unless i gave the ok.  If they heard something threatening they would growl and look to me for direction.  I did not have a whistle.  Between your voice and the whistle you can teach him not to bark unless you say it is ok.  It takes time, that is all.  Then your neighbor wont use their whistle.

Honored Contributor

I can take the barking - it's those who walk their dog over to use your yard as their toilet instead of their own that gets to me. We even have a sign up and they will bring the dog over to lift it's leg on the sign. Actually in our county it is a $500 ticket for allowing your dog to go the bathroom on someones private property as long as the property is posted - thus we have the sign.We ought to start taking pictures & reporting people.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I'm so sorry for the dog, dogs don't bark for no reason.

I would approach your neighbor, you said you haven't talked to him in years, maybe something is changed and I would address it with him first.

Tell him you are concerned about the needs of the dog and maybe you can come to some type of resolution.

Poor baby, I feel for the dog.

@Just Bling  Yes, dogs can and do bark for no reason.  Some have it bred into them, such as guard dogs, Keeshonds, Gr. Pyrennes, and on and on.  They first hear a sound and begin to bark, but the barking never ends.  I had to keep some of my previous dogs inside most of the time due to the barking.

The two pups I have now bark if they hear delivery people, etc., but they stop after a few barks, thank goodness.  I can't stand the sound of a constantly barking dog, so why would anyone else.

I agree, though, that some poor dogs who are left outside 24/7, inhumane in my opinion, could bark due to boredom, and trying to protect themselves from whatever sound they hear.

Honored Contributor

Incessive ......  or excessive?

Honored Contributor

Good point @Tinkrbl44. Been wondering about that all day.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Incessive ......  or excessive?

probably meant incessant? I was wondering too..

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze. Either way, you can't expect a dog not to bark. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@HappyDaze. Either way, you can't expect a dog not to bark. 

@Shanus true. I lived next to a neighbor who kept her dog outside all day when they were at work. I worked off hours and also worked from home so was home all day. That dog was nonstop. I felt badly for the dog because all it wanted was to not be left alone outside. It wasn't the dog's fault. It drove me nuts though. I couldn't concentrate on some of the things I needed to get done. My solution? I moved out to the middle of nowhere. Problem solved. Smiley Wink