Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@cody2, could you look at this recipe and tell me if this is the correct one. Thank you in advance!

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/9701/cuban-black-bean-soup.html

@irshgrl 31201 No, wrong one Irish. Try googling Jeff's name with Cuban Black Bean soup. It should come up. I will try to find it and hope I remember how to do a link.
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I probably have 100 cookbooks dating back to late 1800'. Out of these many cookbooks, I use probably 4 or 5 at most repeatedly.  However, I too have toned down the cooking, baking and eat cleaner and plainer.  I don't bake like I used too, as I eat it all lol. For good recipes I use over and over I return to The frugal Gourmet, Foster's Market, gee etch paltrow's fist book and Ina garden. The recipes are creative, adaptable and just packed with flavor.  Works for me

I have every cookbook that The Frugal Gourmet ever wrote. I was saddened by the demise of his career but that doesn't change the fact that, like yourself, I go back time and time again to his books for recipes. His Cuban Black bean Soup is a staple in our family. The kids and grand kids have all grown and moved on but they still request "my" Cuban Black bean Soup when they are around. I have given all of them the recipe but they all say that theirs just doesn't come out like "mine". Smiley Happy

HI @cody2! Cuban Black Bean soup is one of my favorites and I am going to google this recipe. Right now my favorite place for CBB soup is Bahama Breeze restaurant. It is the best I have had anywhere but I want to try his now, so thanks for the heads up. Is the Frugal Gourmet the one who was accused of doing things with children?

@irsgrl31201, hello girl. He has two different ones in two different books. The great one has bell peppers and you soak them overnight with the beans before cooking the next day. At the end you add wine vinegar and olive oil. It is soooooooo good. If you can't find it, I will see if I can find which book it is in. Hope you are well. Smiley Happy

I am good @cody2, I hope you are as well!! The recipe I posted was in epicurean and said its source was the frugal gourmet. It also had bell peppers and red wine vinegar but I didn't see olive oil. I will go back and check. Thanks again!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Re: Ina's Cookbook!

[ Edited ]
http://eat.at/swap/forum1/95686_Rec_Cuban_Black_Bean_Soup @Irshgrl31201 Some times I add ground meat to make it more hearty. Also, this is a soup. I usually use less water to make it not so soupy. I think you will love it. The soaking the night before with the jalapeno and green pepper really give it some depth.
Respected Contributor
@dmod nj, I found the link to the recipe that we love. It is in the post above to Irish. I hope you try it. Let me know what you think if you do. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2 wrote:
http://eat.at/swap/forum1/95686_Rec_Cuban_Black_Bean_Soup @Irshgrl31201 Some times I add ground meat to make it more hearty. Also, this is a soup. I usually use less water to make it not so soupy. I think you will love it. The soaking the night before with the jalapeno and green pepper really give it some depth.

Thank you so much @cody2. This looks wonderful. I will do the jalapeno as well while soaking. Great idea. I one I love at Bahama Breeze is also a little thicker than most of the other CBB soups I have tried too, and I like that about it so I will follow what you do by adding less water. Again, thank you so much, you made my night and I have black beans in the house already so I am going to soak them tonight and make this tomorrow. I can't wait!!!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

Thank you so much @cody2. This looks wonderful. I will do the jalapeno as well while soaking. Great idea. I one I love at Bahama Breeze is also a little thicker than most of the other CBB soups I have tried too, and I like that about it so I will follow what you do by adding less water. Again, thank you so much, you made my night and I have black beans in the house already so I am going to soak them tonight and make this tomorrow. I can't wait!!!!

LOL, i just noticed that the recipe doesn't have a Jalapeno. I added that myself. It doesn't make it hot at all, it just adds a little pizazz. I just cut a large one in half and don't even seed it. It really doesn't make the whole recipe hot. I hope you will love it like we do. And it freezes well for those long winter nights when you crave a nice comfort pot of beans. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

LOL, i just noticed that the recipe doesn't have a Jalapeno. I added that myself. It doesn't make it hot at all, it just adds a little pizazz. I just cut a large one in half and don't even seed it. It really doesn't make the whole recipe hot. I hope you will love it like we do. And it freezes well for those long winter nights when you crave a nice comfort pot of beans. Smiley Happy

Thank you @cody2, I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to trying this. I am a HUGE soup eater. I make a ton of soups too. I have tried a couple different black bean soups and they were fine, but nothing really great. I also like freezing as well so good to know that. In the winter, soup is like my favorite thing to eat. I am so excited!

JFK
Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

@cody2 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

I probably have 100 cookbooks dating back to late 1800'. Out of these many cookbooks, I use probably 4 or 5 at most repeatedly.  However, I too have toned down the cooking, baking and eat cleaner and plainer.  I don't bake like I used too, as I eat it all lol. For good recipes I use over and over I return to The frugal Gourmet, Foster's Market, gee etch paltrow's fist book and Ina garden. The recipes are creative, adaptable and just packed with flavor.  Works for me

I have every cookbook that The Frugal Gourmet ever wrote. I was saddened by the demise of his career but that doesn't change the fact that, like yourself, I go back time and time again to his books for recipes. His Cuban Black bean Soup is a staple in our family. The kids and grand kids have all grown and moved on but they still request "my" Cuban Black bean Soup when they are around. I have given all of them the recipe but they all say that theirs just doesn't come out like "mine". Smiley Happy

Hi @cody2,

Hope you are doing well. Smiley Happy 

I enjoyed The Frugal Gourmet, as well.  I will look up this  recipe. It sounds wonderful!

Baseball season is coming to an end. My Yankees are..............well let's just say they will be golfing in the post season.  *sigh*

@dmod nj Great to see you too Donna! My Giants have been miserable since the All Star break so I know how you feel. I think aliens came in and kidnapped the real team and left this bunch of bungling fools. I just can't BELIEVE how bad we are. There is a slim chance we could get in Wild Card. Very slim. I hope we don't because it will just be one and done. It is time to end our misery, LOL. But come Spring...well...you know. Hope springs eternal doesn't it.

@cody2 I completely understand. Smiley Happy  Yankees finally stopped the bleeding and won a game! Woohoo. lol   I still think they will be golfing. lol

Yes, there is always next year. lol Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:
@dmod nj, I found the link to the recipe that we love. It is in the post above to Irish. I hope you try it. Let me know what you think if you do. Smiley Happy

THANKS!!!

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Esteemed Contributor
LOVE Ina!!!

Several ( ok, 9 ) recipes are standard in my kitchen and every one of her recipes that I've tried were delicious and delivered a great result from this inconsistent and still an aspiring cook.