Esteemed Contributor

In reference to Cecil the lion (your opinion)

First let me say, I think it is horrible and appalling about Cecil the lion and I signed online petitions (the other day already).

Now here is where I want the opionion.

On facebook my niece typed; To any of you complainng about poor Cecil have no room to talk if you eat meat. Then she typed arent you worried about the cows and pigs that are treated poorly and killed for meat? (She does "not" eat any meat)

I thought to myself you know she has a valid point that people who eat meat have no room to talk. However...........

Then I heard this on the news story later. The person (who also does not eat meat) on the news said although he doesnt condone killing any animals, that there is a difference. Cecil was hunted for fun for a trophy. Cows, pigs, etc are hunted for food.

So then I thought yes this is true. And this is where the outrage about poor Cecil the lion is coming from. Cecil was hunted just for the heck of it which is wrong!

And as far as myself, yes I do eat meat but not much anymore. But I must say, my niece really made me think about the little meat I do eat. Because the story about Cecil made me so upset and mad, so why am I eating any meat?

Your opinion? Do people who eat meat have the right to be upset about Cecil or is that hypocritical if they eat meat? (And please dont argue I just want to know your opinions).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: In reference to Cecil the lion (your opinion)

I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not eat meat, wear leather, fur, etc...

That being said, ABSOLUTELY..

EVERYBODY is entitled to their opinion...

Eating what is killed vs. following a wounded animal for 40 hrs 

to SKIN and take "trophy head" are RIDICULOUS comparisons IMHO!

BTW, Ted Nugent is an arse .. and kids really should stop listening to his diatribe...

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

The whole story reeks of hypcrisy, very few are villifying the actual members for the guide team that helped lure Cecil from the park.  Had it been any other animal, it would be business as usual imo.

Honored Contributor

We've already discussed that at length on the other threads.

They are apples and oranges and one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  Your niece is young.  She will figure it out.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

Sydney...WRONG! Those guys are already being held accountable...

Once he is extradited I will stop talking.

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

You might want to explain the concept of an "endangered species" to your niece. It's basic to understanding the issue.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Up until Dec., '13, I was a meat eater.  I bought my beef and chicken from my friend who raises some for herself and some for a few others.

Her chickens are free range.  Her cows have 2 large pastures, fresh water from a pond,  and get vet care when needed.  (Just yesterday I rode my horse past the cows as they were gathered together spending a lazy day in the shade of some tall trees. Such a peaceful setting.) 

When it's time to butcher, my friend and her husband kill the chickens quickly.  They take the cows to a local butcher who also kills them quickly.  

Not all farm animals are raised in concentrated animal operations.  Those are hideous.  Free range chickens and grass fed cows who roam in large pastures are healthier and happier for the time they're here.

So, I disagree with your niece that meat eaters can't complain about Cecil.  The life of some farm animals is happy and healthy until the last few moments.  Animals raised in CAFOs are a whole 'nother thing.

And, I will add this: allowing an animal to suffer for 40 hours is barbaric when you have it within your power to end its pain.  There are so many other aspects of Cecil's death that are just plain wrong, but leaving him to suffer for hours and hours was heinous.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

The whole story reeks of hypcrisy, very few are villifying the actual members for the guide team that helped lure Cecil from the park.  Had it been any other animal, it would be business as usual imo.

I think you're right................had it been another lion who wasn't named, just some random lion.......I doubt you'd see this type of uproar,...........just like the 5 rare elephants that were slaughtered by poachers just days after this lion was killed.........unlike the lion, African Elephants are on the Vulnerable list..........but nuthin...........cricket........no outcry of rage.........100,000 elephants slaughtered over a 3 year period..........but hey, they weren't named, they didn't have a Facebook page....................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@Alley Catvocate wrote:

Sydney...WRONG! Those guys are already being held accountable...

Once he is extradited I will stop talking.

Nobody is trying to silence you, I just call it like I see it.  Is anyone tweeting the addressess of the guide team?  Is the practice of big game hunting going to stop, unlikely.  Will the US allow him to be extradited, unlikely.