Honored Contributor

Re: If your house was on fire....

@MaggieMack wrote:

Really, the only thing I would care about us my dog. Everything else of value is enshrined in my memory. Only living things really matter.

@MaggieMack  Then hope you don't get dementia!   There goes the memory.....

This thread title reminds me of two important scenes in the film Leap Year. Those scenes are about this and end up being about way more than this.

Valued Contributor

I thought i knew what i'd take until i read all the great posts so i'm rethinking it now.  thanks for the smart ideas.

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Respected Contributor

My purse---by habit I guess.  Most everything is in there.

Honored Contributor

I'm usually barefoot so I'd grab sneakers, dog's leash, purse, phone, iPad and meds.

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Birth certificates and social security cards, since 911 they are exceptionally hard to get duplicates imo.

Really? I had to get my daughters because I couldn't find it. I ordered it online and had it is a few days. Also now I keep the originals of all of our stuff in our safety deposit box. Now she was born in Albuquerque so we aren't local and I cant just drive by but I thought it was really easy. I think I did this in 2009. I don't know if it has gotten more difficult. I was actually surprised how easy it was. Of course right after I received it I found her original BC. SMH!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

My purse. All my comfort things are in there.....at least I would have concealer and lipstick.....

Oh Lord, I didn't even think about makeup and such. I have a ton of the stuff, I am a junkie! I certainly cannot see myself running out of the house with the 3 huge lucite containers I keep them in. I would have to go buy all new stuff though, on the bright side. Forget my jewelry, I should have insurance on my makeup. I have a small fortune invested in that!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I always answered this question with "the beautiful afgan my Grandmother made me when I was 20."  

When we actually did have a fire, I hate to admit that I never even thought about Grandma's afgan!  I grabbed my purse.  (All out important papers are in our fire proof safe.)  

I also hate to admit that I took a moment to get dressed because I didn't want the neighbors and the firemen to see me in my jammies!!  SMH

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

or involved in any other disaster where you were certain to loose most all your possessions, what would be the one thing you would save?

For this, we are assuming that all people and pets are out and safe, and you simply need to pick up the item as you walk out, no risk, no danger.

I'm not sure I can answer this. My photo albums are the first thing that come to mind for me. There are so many things that were made by or belonged to family before me, that it would be devastating to choose, so the photos seem to give me the most of my past in one simple thing.

If you scan your photos and save them to a memory sticks or something similar you don't need to worry about albums.  I had numerous albums from family stuff to my trips around the country (48 states) and abroad (24 countries).  It took  a little time to scan and label them, but I can now keep them safe and can easily share with family.  One of my nieces is particularly interested in genealogy so I plan to leave those family photos to her.

Honored Contributor

Last summer a neighbor in the building I live in left a pot on the stove causing a fire in her unit.  She actually, turned the stove on, went out to the garden & forgot all about the pot.

The fire alarms went off.  When I got outside, I noticed another neighbor was in a house coat, no shoes & soaking wet.  I asked her what happened & she said she was in the shower when she faintly heard the fire alarm. Smiley LOL

I noticed nobody had their pets either.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My jewelry boxes!