Honored Contributor

Re: If your house was on fire....

My diabetic supplies and handbag.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This actually happened to my neighbor across the street from me.  A week before hurricane Sandy we were watching the vice presidential debates on TV when we started to hear a car horn honking.

We live on a quiet cul de sac and most kids are grown and gone so at first I thought it was the only teen left on our street who lived next door making the noise.  However when I took a look out my front window I saw that my neighbor directly across the street had their front bushes on fire.

By the time the fire trucks arrived several minutes later the exterior of the house was engulfed and the fire fighters focused on the homes on either side so the fire wouldn't spread.  

Everyone got out safely but the couple were able to grab their car keys, wallets and phones.  They stayed the first night at another neighbors' home and we all chipped in to help out those first couple of days.  However because they grabbed their keys they had access to their cars.  They could go to the store or anywhere they needed to go plus they had their credit cards to make those important purchases!

The car noise was my neighbor trying to alert everyone on the street what was happening.  Today they have a nice new home and though the house was gone they did salvage a few photo albums.

My DH has scanned all of our photos and they are stored in the cloud....so no worries about losing them.  I think I would also grab the essentials to make life easier in those early days before insurance kicks in like my wallet, keys & phone.

Honored Contributor

All important papers are in the safety deposit box at the bank so I would grab photos, and , of course, my husband.

Esteemed Contributor

My cats, iPhone, and iPad - in that order.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our birth certificates and social security cards are in our bank safe deposit box. 

We we keep a tote bag packed at home that has extra medications, extra eyeglasses and our three ring binder that holds all of our need to know info. We call the bag the tornado tote. I would grab the tornado tote and my purse. 

If if we had a few more minutes I'd grab the iPad, jewelry box and computer. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

First my three dogs,then my kids pictures of when they were kids.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have an original painting of Shiprock, a New Mexico icon on the Navajo Nation in the Four Corners Area.  My mother bought it with her first paycheck from her first teaching job for $30.  She said her parents had a fit.  It has always hung in the family living room and now hangs in mine.

Here's a photo of my painting.

20160530_170126_004-1.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My purse. All my comfort things are in there.....at least I would have concealer and lipstick.....

Respected Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

Really, the only thing I would care about us my dog. Everything else of value is enshrined in my memory. Only living things really matter.

I completely agree, I would make sure my pets are safe.  Maybe grab my ID and a cup of coffee on my way out.  Everything else of value is in my memory.

Honored Contributor

Whenever I travel, I am always careful to  have slip on shoes by the bed, and my important things by the door when in a hotel in case of evacuation.