Honored Contributor

If your house was on fire....

or involved in any other disaster where you were certain to loose most all your possessions, what would be the one thing you would save?

For this, we are assuming that all people and pets are out and safe, and you simply need to pick up the item as you walk out, no risk, no danger.

I'm not sure I can answer this. My photo albums are the first thing that come to mind for me. There are so many things that were made by or belonged to family before me, that it would be devastating to choose, so the photos seem to give me the most of my past in one simple thing.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If your house was on fire....

Photos, family videos on cds,  a jewelry box my daughter made me out of a cigar box and macaroni, my dads Montblanc pen he always used when he was alive. 

I actually do have most of that stuff in a fireproof safe though. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Birth certificates and social security cards, since 911 they are exceptionally hard to get duplicates imo.

Esteemed Contributor

Really, the only thing I would care about us my dog. Everything else of value is enshrined in my memory. Only living things really matter.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

As I made by way to the garage to pull out my car, I'd grab my purse and lab top.  Yes, there are many other things that I cherish and would miss dearly if destroyed.  But I have to be realistic on what I would need the most in the coming days.

The subject is really something to think and plan for.  Perhaps keeping important items in a central area.

Esteemed Contributor

Portable fire safe with legal documents - any photos I like.  Grab the cats.  Maybe some jewelry. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

There are so many things I wish I had thought about, but we got out and that's all that mattered.  Later you reach or think about the other and it's not there and you do miss them.

Whatever it is ... it will always be in your heart and mind.  It will bring sadness when you can't put your hand on it, but you know you had it for that moment in time.  You can't take that away.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Photos, family videos on cds,  a jewelry box my daughter made me out of a cigar box and macaroni, my dads Montblanc pen he always used when he was alive. 

I actually do have most of that stuff in a fireproof safe though. 

We, too, have a very large fireproof safe, and I have placed a number of special things in there, that I would hope would survive, as long as the fire rating of the safe wasn't exceeded. It does give one a peace of mind about some of the special and important things that people loose in a disaster.

Esteemed Contributor

For sure my jewelry since it's easily accessible but I'm going to take measures on getting important stuff together. Thank you, great topic. 

Honored Contributor

We live in hurricane country, so our important documents, photo albums, etc. are packed in our hurricane closet in waterproof containers, ready to go at a moment's notice.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.