Respected Contributor

Re: If you won one of those crazy jackpots . . .

@LilacTree wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . and you had a large extended family, including nieces and nephews who are "needy," would you give them any money?  And if so, how much?

I would gift them each a small amount. Nothing outrageous. I'd put the lion's share in trust for my son, I'd pay for my daughter's education and I'd make sure my dad is taken care of.  Once upon a time I dreamed of luxuries, no more. It would all be put to practical and reasonable use. 

@PurpleBunny

I like that.  Several of my nieces and nephews have already had grandchildren, making it the fourth generation starting up.  Good grief . . . and I'm the oldest of all of that!! 

I think if I won, I would just keep my mouth shut. It must be horrible to have everyone with their hand out. That way, you could do things anonymously - no pressure. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Regular Contributor

There is family and organizations that I would help. I would not want anyone to know that the money came from me. There would be a lot of help going to no kill shelters and a church in my town that provides meals for anyone that is hungry on a daily basis. It would be such a joy to see the happiness that it would bring.

Honored Contributor

I'm not in touch with any of my extended family, we've never been close. The rest of them, no. Honestly my first thought with them would be to make sure they couldn't get at it. Because suddenly they would think I'm great when previously it was the complete opposite. One of my brothers has health issues so of course if he needed money related to just health issues I would do that. 

I would make sure my mother lived like a queen for the rest of her life, buy us a condo and a home for me to live in when she is gone. I would do some anonymous charity acts. First I would hire a good lawyer and a good financial person.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I have a very small family.  If I had a really large family, I would give them each five million.

Super Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

. . . and you had a large extended family, including nieces and nephews who are "needy," would you give them any money?  And if so, how much?

Everyone would get a million dollars but don't ask for more....I'm thinking I'd probably say.  So in other words invest some of it and have fun with some of it but be careful because that's all you're getting.  

Esteemed Contributor

Honestly, it would just depend on my mood.

I would def give to my kids, parents, and in laws. No, I would not give to extended family. Now that I think about it. And I bet they wouldn't be giving me any either, if they won. And I wouldn't want any from some of them anyway....

Good question, @LilacTree. Got me to thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

Every state has a law about coming forward to claim your prize. Some states allow you your privacy, while others say you have to claim it publicly. From an article:

"The best thing a person can do is buy a ticket in one of the six states that don't require you to come forward," Marty King, partner with law firm Gorman & Williams in Maryland, told TODAY. "That means you won't have to go to the press conference with the big oversized check and show your face." Those states are Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina. If you live near one of these states, King recommends crossing the border to buy your ticket because the rules apply depending on where you buy it, not where you live."

I would definitely want to be anonymous!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Contributor

I would pay off all our college loans, then pay off our mortgages. That's it. Everyone would still have to work, but be relieved of those big debts. 

Honored Contributor

I'd buy a huge amount of property and start an animal/wildlife rescue/sanctuary.

What few family members I have would be welcome to help run it, for a free home on the property and a nice healthy paycheck. I'd pay for their EVERY need (medical, etc.)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I would help my mom,brother,his wife, put money in savings for my granddaughters, give to st jude,animal rescues,and buy myself a home.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.