Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you want something done ask a busy woman.

I can't imagine anyone admitting to cheating. Not a very flattering picture of either of those involved.
Esteemed Contributor

@151949, here are some ways they check for plagarism now. In addition to this professors also have software where they compare a students work against their own previous work finding amateurish sentences mixed with sophisticated sentences. http://oureverydaylife.com/universities-detect-plagiarism-5792.html

http://www.dailytoreador.com/lavida/professors-use-plagiarism-detection-site-to-check-students/artic...

I was also surprised to just read that a study was done at Rutgers by Donald McCabe where 40% of undergraduates (out of 71,300 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on tests and 40% of graduate students (out of 17,000 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on test. *Excluding first year students, code schools, and two year schools. Surveys conducted between Fall 2002 and Spring 2011 by Donald McCabe. http://www.plagiarism.org/resources/facts-and-stats/

NOTABLE SMALLER-SCALE SURVEYS AND SCANDALS:

Survey by David Wangaard and Jason Stephens of over 3,600 students in six New England-area high schools found that 95% of students admitted to cheating in the past year.  In addition, 57% of these students agreed/strongly agreed with the statement, “It is morally wrong to cheat.”
http://www2.cortland.edu/dotAsset/317302.pdf

Stuyvesant High School newspaper, The Spectator, survey of 2,045 students in March found that 80 percent said they had cheated in one way or another.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/education/stuyvesant-high-school-students-describe-rationale-for-c...

Seven College Cheating Scandals (short summaries): 

• MBA Students at Duke
  • Maryland Professor “sting”
  • Naval Academy Students
  • Henry Ford II 
  • UVa
  • GMAT cheating

Even before the software to check it, I would have never thought it would have been so high. That really surprised me. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@151949, you wrote his papers?    Maybe if he would have gotten an incomplete, he would have learned to do his own work on time.   

Nah - when he went away to college he used to buy completed papers to hand in - as do many college students.  I guess he had his own way of getting things done. Teachers and professors should realize that when they give the same assignments year after year after year that kids are going to catch on & recycle papers.

REally?  Many college students buy their papers?  I don't think so.  The ones who are dishonest and just trying to get by the easy way buy their papers.

I don't know anyone who bought their papers, nor did I ever. 

And you admit to writing his papers?  You actually brag about cheating?  You should be ashamed of yourself teaching him the totally wrong thing to do.  When he goes to work are you going to go to?  You may have to if he can't learn on his own. 

I don't think many students buy their papers either.  That is yet another form of cheating.  No wonder our country is so messed up and college students can't get a job -- they don't know anything.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Actually I do not recall having to write papers in nursing school. We had to write something called care plans -which were boring and  a drag but they were more like an outline for how to care for a certain patient wirth multiple disease processes going on. There were huge books in the library of care plans and you would just look up your patients disease and copy down the care -- then have to apply it to that specific patient. Hours and hours spent copying those down - now a days the computer would do that for you.

Wow!  And you steal too.

Talk about an inappropriate post.  Let's brag about breaking the law and be proud of it. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@151949, you wrote his papers?    Maybe if he would have gotten an incomplete, he would have learned to do his own work on time.   

Nah - when he went away to college he used to buy completed papers to hand in - as do many college students.  I guess he had his own way of getting things done. Teachers and professors should realize that when they give the same assignments year after year after year that kids are going to catch on & recycle papers.

I know this happens today (and always has) and it makes me sick.

To think that people are handed degrees and work in fields that they really didn't earn,  may be at least lacking in skill/knowledge or at most darn right dangerous because they never completed their own work, makes me both sick and angry. I think of things like this every time I go to a doctor or think about flying on a plane....any situation where you might put your health and safety into the hands of someone else.

And to do another's work is not only wrong but says a lot about the person that lets themselves be used that way. I used to see moms doing their kid's homework for them, with out any shame or idea just how they were harming their kids in doing so.

I guess @151949  got the man she made. One that finishes nothing, and doesn't begin to know what he should.

@Mominohio

It doesn't happen today so much, too many types of software to catch students.  Papers are sent to Profs on computers, not paper copies, and they're scanned.

They can even tell if the writing style is different.

@Noel7

Oh it still happens and more than people know. My nephew just graduated from college in the last several years, and he wrote papers for people for profit. Some kids still make a lot of money doing this.

@Mominohio

Was it a junior college?  I know all the ones around here seriously check for it, including state colleges.  In places like Stanford, someone who cheats is out of there.  Fast.

Didn't your nephew's family try to stop him?

No it was not a junior college (and that is a bit insulting to assume, like 'real' colleges are so on the ball they catch all this stuff). It was a very prestigious university.

And I don't know if they tried to stop him or not, or if they knew it or not. I only knew about it by 'accident' and I'm not that close to my extended family, so I stayed out of it.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I don't understand how they could check for it - if my friend is third year at say CMU and I am second year at Pitt and he gives me a paper he wrote last year and I recopy it and hand it in - how would they possibly prove I didn't write it?

I think this has been going on in college since the beginning of time.

There are computer programs that might catch it.  

Even if it wasn't caught, why would someone do something like that?   It's so unethical.   

Esteemed Contributor

I can remember when my daughter was in grade school and would have a science of social studies project, there would only be a handful of children that would come in with projects you could tell they actually made themselves or with the HELP of their parents. They actually had to have a group parent/teacher/principal meeting over this, letting parents know that this could result in an automatic failure. Even after that they still had parents doing this. I understand wanting to help your child but when you do it entirely for them they don't learn anything and that became obvious when these poor kids had to present these projects and explain how they worked.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949, here are some ways they check for plagarism now. In addition to this professors also have software where they compare a students work against their own previous work finding amateurish sentences mixed with sophisticated sentences. http://oureverydaylife.com/universities-detect-plagiarism-5792.html

http://www.dailytoreador.com/lavida/professors-use-plagiarism-detection-site-to-check-students/artic...

I was also surprised to just read that a study was done at Rutgers by Donald McCabe where 40% of undergraduates (out of 71,300 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on tests and 40% of graduate students (out of 17,000 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on test. *Excluding first year students, code schools, and two year schools. Surveys conducted between Fall 2002 and Spring 2011 by Donald McCabe. http://www.plagiarism.org/resources/facts-and-stats/

NOTABLE SMALLER-SCALE SURVEYS AND SCANDALS:

Survey by David Wangaard and Jason Stephens of over 3,600 students in six New England-area high schools found that 95% of students admitted to cheating in the past year.  In addition, 57% of these students agreed/strongly agreed with the statement, “It is morally wrong to cheat.”
http://www2.cortland.edu/dotAsset/317302.pdf

Stuyvesant High School newspaper, The Spectator, survey of 2,045 students in March found that 80 percent said they had cheated in one way or another.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/education/stuyvesant-high-school-students-describe-rationale-for-c...

Seven College Cheating Scandals (short summaries): 

• MBA Students at Duke
  • Maryland Professor “sting”
  • Naval Academy Students
  • Henry Ford II 
  • UVa
  • GMAT cheating

Even before the software to check it, I would have never thought it would have been so high. That really surprised me. 

This doesn't surprise me at all. Like another poster has said, don't some of you wonder how some of the people you know or come across in your daily business, ever got a degree. I know I do.

I'm in my mid 50's and I fought the cheating all through high school and college. Our valedictorian (high school) was found cheating on finals, but it was covered up and she kept her position. I remember struggling for grades in high school and college, watching people cheat, many bragging about it, like it was something to be proud of (ie the poster here who seems to have that same value system).

There are a lot of smart and honest students, but there are a lot who simply aren't. And it becomes a vicious cycle for many. They can't build upon work they never actually did/learned and have to keep cheating to stay in school.

People cheat on their taxes, their drug tests, their mates, their diets. What makes people think it doesn't happen in school too?

What does surprise me is how naive so many people on here are about things like this.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Kind of sad if 151949 is proud of that. Probably a good guarantee that you wouldn't get dumped by the guy if you kept doing his homework for him. Guys who need babysitters aren't worth it IMO.

Respected Contributor

My kids' teachers wanted the kids to do the projects themselves too.  She said it helped them learn how to budget their time and meet deadlines.   

It was hard not to get involved sometimes.   Lol