Honored Contributor

Re: If you want something done ask a busy woman.

[ Edited ]

I work with two women who seem to be dynamos.  They are popular teachers, well prepared and hard-working.  Every day after school they are posting from soccer games, Disneyland, concerts MLB games... I promise you I'm not exaggerating.  I've always wondered how they manage their lives - grocery shopping, laundry, housekeeping.  Well, I found out.  I've been to their homes which are quite chaotic - one of them looks like a clean version of a hoarder house and the other isn't, but she has a housekeeping service once a week.  Both women say they don't have time to cook - they eat out with their kids, or get take-out every night. BOTH of them joked that they've been known to buy new clothes for the kids when everything else is in the laundry.  Of course I'm generalizing based on only two cases, but it seems pretty clear to me that you can't do it all - something has to give and it's a matter of priorities. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

Wow that's some schedule! But does she have time for the kids?

I'd bet that the kids have a full schedule as well.

Maybe they say "hey" to each other once in a while.

Honored Contributor

I'd ask an efficient person to do something if I wanted something done, but that doesn't necessarily mean a "busy" person.

But I would say that the efficient people I've known are pretty busy people.

They're not into sitting around doing nothing.  They accomplish things.

Honored Contributor

My Mom was one of those people who was  just naturally very well organized and efficient.I don't know if I inherited that trait from her or learned it but I am also very organized and can plan my time well. I form a plan for every task.This was a real bonus in my career. My DH is the polar opposite of organized or efficient with his time - he has great intentions but never finishes anything and makes every task twice as difficult as it needs to be because he is so scattered. I always end up having to finish his projects and clean up after. He NEVER does anything 100%. 

When we were in high school I would have all my own stuff to deal with - homework, papers to research and write plus I always had to finish his, or he would not have gotten them done and he would have gotten incompletes all the time. I would save all those papers I wrote for him and use them a couple years later as my own - after all I wrote them!  

Respected Contributor

@151949, you wrote his papers?    Maybe if he would have gotten an incomplete, he would have learned to do his own work on time.   

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@151949, you wrote his papers?    Maybe if he would have gotten an incomplete, he would have learned to do his own work on time.   

Nah - when he went away to college he used to buy completed papers to hand in - as do many college students.  I guess he had his own way of getting things done. Teachers and professors should realize that when they give the same assignments year after year after year that kids are going to catch on & recycle papers.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom   You just reminded me of a former qualification I frequently saw on résumés or in cover letters, "I multitask well," as if that were something to brag about and not realizing they were actually saying they did not focus on any one thing.  

Additionally, now we understand multitasking is stress inducing.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

There is a software program designed to catch plagiarized papers now.   Even high school teachers use it.    Plagiarism is a serious offense and really shouldn't be tolerated.   

It's a lack of character, IMO

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

Nah - when he went away to college he used to buy completed papers to hand in - as do many college students.  I guess he had his own way of getting things done. Teachers and professors should realize that when they give the same assignments year after year after year that kids are going to catch on & recycle papers.

So you blame the teachers for the kids cheating?

Esteemed Contributor

I'm retired now, but my boss said when I was working for him (after he plopped another task on my desk) "if you want something done, give it to the busiest person in the office". I was the busiest, but always got everything done when needed. Also a single mom with three kids. My home and yard were immaculate. I wonder now, at 71, how the heck I did it all.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein