Regular Contributor

Re: If you knew you only had one year...

I would eat whatever I wanted - all the goodies I avoid now to keep my weight under control - like pizza, chocolate, chips, ice cream, etc.. This is my addiction.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd live with what I have and give away much of it. Let someone else get the good out of it. I would be so happy to have any or all debts paid off too.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I wuold relocate to Hawaii, rent a condo on the water, and spend the rest of my days with my DH and DS, and my two furry dogs.....what a better way to go than in paradise!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

On 2/3/2014 Jules5280 said:
On 2/3/2014 serenity4ever said:

Although I would love to travel, what kind of an illness would a person have that would allow them the health to be fit enough to travel? Most illnesses that kill you in a year, end up making you weak......

As far as the unnecessary spending on jewelry and non-essentials, if they brought me joy I would continue buying them.

This is obviously a hypothetical question, so assume best case scenario.... that you had the health to do whatever you wanted, just that you knew you would only live for a year. I never mentioned illness in my OP. I was just curious what people would do if they knew for a fact, the limit of their time. Would a person buy a bunch of jewelry knowing they only had a limited time to wear it? Buy a super expensive car just so they could drive it a little while?

I misunderstood....sorry.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

If I had a year left to live, I would probably just want to be around my family. However, I also think I would want to live as I always have and try and continue to enjoy life to the fullest possible.Smile

Super Contributor

On 2/3/2014 Jules5280 said:

Although I would love to travel, what kind of an illness would a person have that would allow them the health to be fit enough to travel? Most illnesses that kill you in a year, end up making you weak......

As far as the unnecessary spending on jewelry and non-essentials, if they brought me joy I would continue buying them.

This is obviously a hypothetical question, so assume best case scenario.... that you had the health to do whatever you wanted, just that you knew you would only live for a year. I never mentioned illness in my OP. I was just curious what people would do if they knew for a fact, the limit of their time. Would a person buy a bunch of jewelry knowing they only had a limited time to wear it? Buy a super expensive car just so they could drive it a little while?

I misunderstood....sorry.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

If I had a year left to live, I would probably just want to be around my family. However, I also think I would want to live as I always have and try and continue to enjoy life to the fullest possible.Smile

No need to be sorry, I just didn't intend for it to be a question about being sick and dying. Only a "what if" we knew how much time we had, what would we do differently, if anything. I think your answer is a great one. Smile

Super Contributor

Thank you, Jules. I think it was a very thought provoking topic.Smile

Honored Contributor

ROAD TRIP.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

One year for whatever reason, I'd personally deliver the bequeathals to each person and institution in my will. Purchases, not really; continuing the "fairy godmother " packages to my niece and cousins; and, convincing DH to take a sabbatical and accompany me to all the places that we enjoy. Pizza and dessert every day. Finally, no pun intended, preparing for the ultimate last trip to the next life.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Jewelry, clothes, purses etc., would be the last thing I'd think of purchasing.

First...I'd make sure all legal inheritance matters are taken care of and in proper order for my family, including life insurance.

I'd sell off any and all antiques my immediate family didn't want. The money would added into the pot for their financial security.

Next my immediate family, furbabies and I would travel as much as we could and as long as we could until it was impossible to continue on.

Leaving them with wonderful memories would be my greatest wish.

Super Contributor

On 2/3/2014 SugarNSpice said:

Jewelry, clothes, purses etc., would be the last thing I'd think of purchasing.

First...I'd make sure all legal inheritance matters are taken care of and in proper order for my family, including life insurance.

I'd sell off any and all antiques my immediate family didn't want. The money would added into the pot for their financial security.

Next my immediate family, furbabies and I would travel as much as we could and as long as we could until it was impossible to continue on.

Leaving them with wonderful memories would be my greatest wish.

What a beautiful sentiment, SugarNSpice!