Honored Contributor

Re: If you could choose one baked iten to gift from any company or bakery, what would you choose?

colliegirls wrote:

I never heard of Smith Island Cakes before, it sounds like something that my in-laws may like for Christmas.  Are they really moist and wonderful???

Hi Colliegirls!  Yes, they are very moist and wonderful!    As you can see they have all those layers and are just beautifully done.  Now, they're not inexpensive but, IMO, they are worth it.

They have a number of different ones.  I've tried the coconut, the lemon, and the banana.  I loved them all.  Probably the coconut the most because it's major coconut and I love love love coconut.  Smiley Happy 

Hopefully, Shoekitty will see your post and also respond.  She has tried more of them.  She's a true cake aficionado.    She's the one who got me addicted to them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you could choose one baked iten to gift from any company or bakery, what would you choose?

@butterfly123 wrote:

We live in a small town with only a grocery store and Walmart.  We have friends that we gift sweets to for the holidays.  I would like to send something different this year. I appreciate any suggestions.

I know several people who recieve so many sweets during the holidays, most are wasted.  I like the idea of something different.  Perhaps something from Hickroy Farms or Ohama Steaks be a nice change.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I had to come back to plug, Purple Mountain Cheesecake.  I had some at DD's home Saturday.  She had it for my son-in-laws 50th birthday. It was so delicious.  I see they are online. She got hers from a restaurant in the "big city" not too far from where we live.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

We live in a small town with only a grocery store and Walmart.  We have friends that we gift sweets to for the holidays.  I would like to send something different this year. I appreciate any suggestions.

I know several people who recieve so many sweets during the holidays, most are wasted.  I like the idea of something different.  Perhaps something from Hickroy Farms or Ohama Steaks be a nice change.

I agree 100%.  I am not really a sweets/dessert person and would much rather receive (and give) one of those items or a homemade lasagne that was frozen, etc.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I would love to receive a Texas or Georgia fruitcake!!!!

Collin Street Bakery makes THE best fruitcakes.   The only problem is that their prices have gotten so high that it's hard to justify.  

I've been buying from them since 1989 and always the same quality.  Of course I would expect prices to go up over the years but it's truly been excessive.   If you can spend the money, though, go for it!  Smiley Happy

What I did when the price started getting out of line was to get a couple of them on sale (they run sales from time to time) and I cut them into single-serving pieces, froze them and then vacuum sealed them individually.  That way it stays pristine in the freezer and i can enjoy a piece now and then.  Smiley Happy    Those two large fruitcakes were enough that I'll have fruitcake for years!

------------------------

After reading this post, I looked up the Colin Street Bakery and ordered the Pecan cake.  It is very good, came pre sliced, moist, and has a small amount of fruit - not overdone.  

Thanks for this suggestion.

Honored Contributor

I have to wonder if ordering whether it is too late?Man Embarassed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**