Esteemed Contributor

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash

Ran out to pick up a few things, a good hour later......, I made a few changes to what we will be using going forward.  I read so many labels, what an eye opener!

I went to Kroger after reading this thread.  I bought the Simple Truth brand dish soap and all purpose spray cleaner.  I was impressed with the small ingredient deck.  I also purchased Kirk's Castile pure botanica coconut oil soap.  I will report back.  The shampoo aisle was a major eye opener.  Suave, VO5, Tresemme, Dove, Infusium all contain our "methyl" friend. The Garnier products don't contain it, but they test on animals.  I also looked at the label of Isommers deodorant and it contains Triclosan, another no no.  I repurchased Renpure Originals Coconut Cream Shampoo.  It says on their label:  These produts are not tested on animals.  They are tested on the Redmonds.  That is the family that owns the company.  Smiley Happy

Keep reading labels and sharing!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

My doctor was not interested in the possible link of this chemical and my rash.  She said to use more gentle products, take less showers, don't wash my hair very often, step in and out of the shower as quickly as possible, better yet take sponge baths.  She also said that only two areas of the body get stinky (arm pits and beween the legs) and to use small amounts of a safer body wash or soap on those areas.  Other parts of the body just need a rinse in the water.  She recommended Burt Bees baby products. 

This is all do (in her opinion) to getting older and having thinner skin.  That the products on the market do have way to many harmful ingredients and to try to stir clear of those.

I have a question for those that are linking their rash to this Meth chemical.  Does it start out as an itch, you scratch it and the next time you look at the area you have a red rash? 

I have come to the conclusion that as I age, I am not allowed the luxury of scratching a simple itch anymore. 

Frequent Contributor

Trusted Contributor
Tends2dogs

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash[ New ]

Ran out to pick up a few things, a good hour later......, I made a few changes to what we will be using going forward.  I read so many labels, what an eye opener!

I went to Kroger after reading this thread.  I bought the Simple Truth brand dish soap and all purpose spray cleaner.  I was impressed with the small ingredient deck.  I also purchased Kirk's Castile pure botanica coconut oil soap.  I will report back.  The shampoo aisle was a major eye opener.  Suave, VO5, Tresemme, Dove, Infusium all contain our "methyl" friend. The Garnier products don't contain it, but they test on animals.  I also looked at the label of Isommers deodorant and it contains Triclosan, another no no.  I repurchased Renpure Originals Coconut Cream Shampoo.  It says on their label:  These produts are not tested on animals.  They are tested on the Redmonds.  That is the family that owns the company.  Smiley Happy

Keep reading labels and sharing!

@tends2dogs, you've been busy!  I don't mean to be the Product Police, but even if products don't contain MIT, research the other ingredients, also, particularly if you're having problems. There are other irritants floating around, like diazolidinyl urea.  Of course, these things don't cause problems for everybody, but it doesn't hurt to at least be aware.

Frequent Contributor

@saltysails Interesting take on things by your doc.

Re: Your question about the rash, mine began on one hand on the palm with tiny bumps under the skin, which progressed to my fingers with an itchy, red rash and later affected my other hand, also. The tops of my hands are okay, but between my fingers and the palmar sides, a mess. The skin gets unbelievably dry, and nothing seems to lubricate it. Then the skin cracks open and peels, which is very, very painful. It will nearly heal, but the whole thing starts over again. I've used topical steroid salve and numerous creams.  Although my doctor prescribed the steroid, he also warned that steroid salves/creams can thin and dry the skin.  So, although the steroid does help to a degree, I also have to back off after a few applications. Nearly a year later, my entire face, out of the blue, swelled and felt miserably "prickly," and a similar itchy, red rash took over, but rather than the skin cracking, it peeled. Even the upper and lower eyelids, which were terribly swollen. I've had numerous flare-ups of that.  As I've mentioned, I've taken two rounds of Prednisone orally.

My opinion is that we probably can use products with these chemicals occasionally and get by with it, but if it's a product (or products) that is used daily, at some point, there are some of us who can't tolerate them any longer. I have improved, but there are places on my hands that are just having a tough time completely healing, as if the skin cells have been damaged, and I have to be very careful with my face. This has been a dreadful experience, which is why I was motivated to begin this discussion.  HTH!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Regarding TP and paper towels:  Some of them have such a strong odor (I'm thinking because of sanitizing the recycled paper to prevent bacteria growing, germs, mold, etc.), that I've been using it for wiping off spills, etc.   At first I thought they were storing the TP and towels near strong laundry detergents (which they sometimes also do).   But after airing the outside of the package out on the front porch, the TP rolls and paper towels within the packaging still have a strong smell.  I'd like to find unscented, real, natural (not recycled) TP.  Especially TP and facial tissues, which are in contact with our delicate skin. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

@tends2dogs @Mothertrucker and others, have been wondering how everybody is doing with your skin issues and hope there has been healing. 

To those who have conquered their allergy to MI and related chemicals, any suggestions for healing your symptoms would be greatly appreciated!  I, of course, have been reading labels and avoiding "guilty" products and products which don't have ingredients listed at all.  Have been managing with Dove Sensitive bar soap, Avene and Cetaphil Skin Calming products and Kroger Simple Truth laundry and dish detergents, along with a healing ointment on my hands.  Despite product scrutiny, I'm still having some flare-ups with my hands, although not as severe.

Also, for those of you on FB, here is a link I found:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=allergy%20to%20isothiazolinone%20methylisothiazolinone%20and%...

Honored Contributor

@OooLaLa If you call the number on the back of the tide jug they will answer all of your questions and take suggestions too.

Honored Contributor

Just say our pr*yers for the newborns and young babies who are sleeping in heavily scented bedding and clothing.  Dryer sheets, strong detergents, and all of those chemicals.  Whatever happened to using Ivory Flakes and Ivory Snow on babies' clothing and bedding?  It's a different world, that's for sure............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

Honored Contributor
ROMARY 1

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash[ New ]

Just say our pr*yers for the newborns and young babies who are sleeping in heavily scented bedding and clothing.  Dryer sheets, strong detergents, and all of those chemicals.  Whatever happened to using Ivory Flakes and Ivory Snow on babies' clothing and bedding?  It's a different world, that's for sure............

@ROMARY Isn't that the truth? The info I've run across about MI and the like's effect on developing neurons is really disturbing. I'm certainly not a chemist or physician, but as a layman, I can't help wondering about a possible link to ADHD, autism, etc. As you say, I really don't recall those problems back in the Ivory Snow days.  And yes, prayers all around!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amarica:  Yes, those health problems and, dare I say, even worse.  What if newborn is allergic (asthma) to the fumes/odors/heavy scent?   It must be a 'touchy subject' (so to speak), as I haven't heard much of anything about the possible dangers..............'Allegedly'