Frequent Contributor

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash

Super Contributor
saltysails

Thank you so much for posting about this.  I think this is also what I am going thru.  I had a patch on my ankle that got infected and had to have meds for it and now I have another patch on my thigh that started as an itch and I am trying so hard to not touch it. 

I just check Philosophy shower gels that I use and they had this ingredient along with my shampoo and I am sure a lot of the other products I use also. 

Why are manufacturers in this country allowed to poison us for profit?  I also have those garden clogs that QVC sells that are washable.  I am wondering if these are also a problem. 

Hi, @saltysails. Sorry you're having skin issues and that you've had to resort to meds.  So have I, and those always have their side effects, also.

Please check out the first link on my original post, which lists of all of the other names under which MI can be "disguised." Also, the NIH link has a very long list of products - and that's just a partial list! I'm sure you wash your garden clogs, so check out the soap/detergent you use.  

As for why manufacturers insist on using this harmful ingredient, well, that IS the question, isn't it?  Most likely, as you say, profit, for one reason.  We could give them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't aware of the misery it's causing, even with the abundance of information on the internet.  Or, and I really hope this isn't the case, they just don't care - until those profits start going down. Unfortunately, I think that and massively voicing our complaints are the only ways to get their attention.

Thank you for sharing your story, and I hope you conquer that rash very soon!

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Yikes!  I have used and recommended Huggies baby wipes on here for removing makeup and waterproof mascara many times over the years.  I do use the unscented, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.  Disappointed to see other familiar names like Head and Shoulders.  Thanks for doing the work to find this out and let us know.  FDA, do your job. 

I checked this morning and the Huggies baby wipes now say that ingredient is no longer used.

Thanks to the OP for the information. Apparently, many of us have had unexplained rashes in the past and this is one ingredient to most definitely avoid.

Trusted Contributor

Just checked my body washes...Dove for Sensitive Skin and Old Spice...yep, they do contain MIT. Who would have thought Dove for Sensitive Skin? Also body/shower gels from Bath and Body Works contain MIT also (at least the one I have remaining). Well, no more of those, I guess! 

Thanks for this information!

OP, what products have you found you can use now? 

Esteemed Contributor

I just received an order from Vitacost.  I am trying for the first time : Dr. Bronner's SALSUDS Biodegradable Cleaner.  After reading the reviews, it has hundreds of uses.  Google it.  I am going to use it for laundry (2 Tablespoons), dishwashing, general cleaning, cars, floors, rugs, wood floors, etc.  It does not contain the ingredient we are discussing here.  It has SLS, Coco-Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Siberian Fir Needle Oil and Spruce Leaf Oil.  It is Vegan and , 100% cruelty free and biodegrades rapidly. 

Just thought I would throw this out there.  A multipurpose product that seems harmless.  I will report on how well it gets the job done. Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Frequent Contributor

Super Contributor
TexasMom1

Re: If You Are Experiencing Skin Rash[ New ]

Just checked my body washes...Dove for Sensitive Skin and Old Spice...yep, they do contain MIT. Who would have thought Dove for Sensitive Skin? Also body/shower gels from Bath and Body Works contain MIT also (at least the one I have remaining). Well, no more of those, I guess! 

Thanks for this information!

OP, what products have you found you can use now?

Hi, @TexasMom1. I'm not promoting anything, but I've been using Dove bar soap for sensitive skin and Cetaphil bar soap, to which I haven't reacted. Also, Cetaphil Calming Body Moisturizer. Andalou, Mineral Fusion and Mill Creek Botanicals hair products. One of my doctors recommended Avene skin care.  It has some ingredients that I'd been avoiding (mineral oil, a slight fragrance), but it seems to agree with my skin and has gotten me through really bad flare-ups.  I bought a "Free and Clear" popular brand of laundry detergent, which doesn't have the ingredients on the label, but I'm going to get something else.

Watch the liquid body washes.  Not all of them have MI, but a lot of them do.  I had to toss more hair conditioners than shampoos.  Watch the makeup removing wipes. MI is known by other names, also.  Links to that info are in my original post.  HTH!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much! I do have the bar soap for Dove Sensitive. So far the Dove Body washes have been okay for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since we are sharing.....here are the products I just found in my shower with this ingredient. I usually have eye irritation after a shower. Now I think it may be traced to these products which I often alternate.

Nexxus Diametress

Paul Mitchell Original Awapuhi Shampoo

Pantene 3 minute miracle Repair conditioner

Redken Color Extend Magnetics

Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo 3

Method liquid hand soap also has it...

Frequent Contributor

@Trinity11@butterfly123  On a supermarket run last night, I purchased Kroger's Simple Truth laundry detergent. I've quickly searched the ingredients, and so far, haven't found any negative information.  

butterfly123, have you tried Dr. Bronner's yet?  

Hopefully, manufacturers will stop with the MI, and those of us with the severe allergic reactions can purchase their products again.

Honored Contributor

@OooLaLa

Yes, I like Dr. Bronner's products. I need to find a website that has recipes to make liquid hand soap and the breakdowns of water to product for cleaning etc.

Your OP has turned into a wonderful discussion. 

Respected Contributor

so I would imagine that one would be LESS likely to find this in bar soaps, and more likely to find it in liquid soaps?

Over the last few months I Developed a terrible rash and came to find my body wash contained OT (last night.i checked after reading this)..Only non liquid soap I had on hand was a small hard soap from a hotel stay...so I used it this morning..

I amthinking that in the case of the Cottonelle TP it must be used in the paper making process?

Thank you SO much for this!