Super Contributor

If Visiting the Nation's Capitol ~~ Make Sure You Visit the U.S. Capitol ~~

good day you all,

forgot to include that in the museum thread. but since the Smithsonian museums are right at the bottome of tyhe Capitol, I want to point out that at some time this is a must for Americans and foreigners alike. It is open to the public 6 days/week, and one should be at the building not later than at 2:30 as it closes at 4:00 p.m. on Saturdays.

You can order tickets online, or else right now it isn't busy, where in the summer with the school kids there are some 10,000 pax/day visiting the complex, so it is then really important one gets a timed ticket in advance. On the East side is the fantastic (and very expensive) Visitor Center that alone takes quite some time to visit. But when one arrives there, one will be guided to see the movie, and immediately when this is over (15 mins.) there are guides taking you around. There is a big difference in guides, some (like my good friend) who goes overboard with what she shows in the building, but it also depends whether Congress is in session. Obviously, since it belongs to the people, there is no charge. Forgot to mention that also very exciting is the Botanical Gardens, right near the south side of the Capitol, also free of charge and known for the most exclusive orchids in the world!

Re: White House, you must request tickets through your congressman/woman and it will take between 4-6 months before being checked out through the Dept. of Homeland Security, as this is important as the building doesn't have a super sophistication system to check people and after 9/11. One year, I would encourage you to do, is to see if you can visit the White House when it is decorated for Christmas.

Just some tidbits for those who are planning to visit Washington, D.C.

Have a good visit and enjoy your weekend.

Magenta