Honored Contributor

Is this legit ? you never know any more what is real and what isn't.

I got an email telling hubbo to go to his ss account  and now put in a cell phone number, they, will send to him a new code, to use whenever he goes to his SS account in an effort to protect his information with another layer of protection.

Makes you wonder is this 'phishing'?

Trusted Contributor

IRS doesn't send e-mails.  Period. 

Honored Contributor

I received this email too and question it's authenticity. When my computer guru gets home I'm going to have him check it out.

ETA: My email is NOT from IRS, but the Social Security Administration.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Repeating anothe poster....IRS does NOT contact by e-mail.  Best advice is to forward that e-mail to the IRS fraud department.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely NOT legit.

Honored Contributor

How would the IRS or SS even have your email address?  I've never seen anything from either asking for it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Is this legit ? you never know any more what is real and what isn't.

I got an email telling hubbo to go to his ss account  and now put in a cell phone number, they, will send to him a new code, to use whenever he goes to his SS account in an effort to protect his information with another layer of protection.

Makes you wonder is this 'phishing'?

@SharkE, I got this email, too, but it is in regard to MySocialSecurity, not IRS.  In fact, in your post, you also say it is in regard to Social Security, not IRS as you put on your headline

I think it's real because the from line domain is SSA.gov, but like you, I'm not sure. I find it odd that SSA would require a user to have a cell one in order to use the account, and according to this message, that is indeed the case.  That makes me skeptical.  I know that security codes they describe are sometimes used, but usually there are alternate methods of delivery....landline, cell, email.  In this case, it says the only means of delivery is cell phone.  Hmmm, that makes me suspicious.

To verify if it's real, in August (when this change will be implemented according to the email)try, logging into the SSA account using the standard URL and see if you are required to enter a cell number to access the account. Do not use a link in the email (I can't remember if there is one).

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

How would the IRS or SS even have your email address?  I've never seen anything from either asking for it.

If you create a login on SSA in order to check status, etc., yes, you can enter an email address.  So yes, it is possible for SSA to have your email address.

Honored Contributor

Emails supposedly from IRS or SS are scams.

Even if you are involved in some kind of discussion with one of those agencies, if you get an email from them, do not open it.  It's not from any legit agency.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Think when U sign up for either SS or Medicare they ask for it.

Just the other day he got one to check his account and change his password.