Re: I would have to quite my job

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

Nobody is saying it's impossible to tune out noise and chaos 

It makes for a very uncomfortable and maybe unproductive work environment 

It may be "uncomfortable" at first, but you get used to it, unless, of course, you are bound and determined to not even try from day one.

You know, it's interesting. When cubicles first came on to the scene, people complained about not being able to talk to their neighbors, and feeling "closed in" by the walls, but they adapted, and got used to working in a cubicle.

Now people are belly-aching about not having those walls.

If people can get use to having the walls, they can get use to not having the walls.

You'll be surprised at just how much you can tune out when you are concentrating on your work.

And don't tell me that you can't concentrate on your work in an open floor plan, because you can.

It all depends on just how hard you try.

You never know. You just might surprise yourself, and even grow to like it.

But, if you are not even going to give it a try, then you know where the door is, and good luck in finding a job where the work environment is perfect.

I work from home.  So it's not an issue.  

If it doesn't even affect you, then why the fuss?

I wasn't making the fuss.  You are 

I have my opinion about working in that type of environment.   You wrote a novel about how I could do as if it applied to my life.  

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, you're making huge assumptions and not even dealing with my reality

I'm hardly the "older generation".  Lol

Frequent Contributor

Absolutely not. Not even if the pay was lucrative.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Well, you're making huge assumptions and not even dealing with my reality

lol 

And you are making huge assumptions and not even dealing with other people's realities, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Golden_Oldie wrote:

Absolutely not. Not even if the pay was lucrative.

So, you wouldn't even give it a fair chance?

Defeatist attitude.

If one refuses to even give it a try, they know where the door is, and good luck in finding the perfect job.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

You learn to tune out the "noise and chaos".

It's not impossible to do.

You're right - It's not an impossible situation.  I've worked in this type of environment because it was (and still is) very common in my field.  I never felt there was noise and chaos, but rather people doing their jobs.  Because my field is creative and has time pressures, consulting with each other constantly is critical.

Maybe in very large settings (call centers, maybe?) there are lots and lots of people, all talking on the phone at the same time and doing little else.  But in the open-plan offices I've worked in, it hasn't been like that at all.  Open-plan, but not a vast amount of people, and not just sitting at desks and talking on the phone.  In some fields, it's just not practical to have separate offices or cubices for everyone.  Even when I did have an office, I was often out in the main area with my co-workers, collaborating on projects, etc.  Being isolated doesn't always work well, depending of course on what a particular job entails.

I think in some cases, it's probably not very pleasant, but in others (such as in my experience), it works out very well and I never had a problem with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: I would have to quit my job

I worked for a huge insurance company for 38 years before retiring.  The last floor I was on did this about 7 years ago.  I hated it.  As a manager, I had zero privacy and every little conversation was overheard so I had to go elsewhere.

On the flip side, for the last year I was there, my boss would stop by peoples' desks and scream at them, call them names, belittle them so everyone could hear. Everyone wanted to crawl in a hole when it happened, especially the person on the receiving end.  I was never so glad to get out of a place.  It actually resulted in me retiring at 62 instead of 65.  I couldn't take it.  

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I worked for a huge insurance company for 38 years before retiring.  The last floor I was on did this about 7 years ago.  I hated it.  As a manager, I had zero privacy and every little conversation was overheard so I had to go elsewhere.

On the flip side, for the last year I was there, my boss would stop by peoples' desks and scream at them, call them names, belittle them so everyone could hear. Everyone wanted to crawl in a hole when it happened, especially the person on the receiving end.  I was never so glad to get out of a place.  It actually resulted in me retiring at 62 instead of 65.  I couldn't take it.  

Another thought.  As a manager, I was privy to information.  One of the biggest reasons for going to an open floor plan is because the millenials like it.  My company catered to young workers hoping they'd become loyal, be happy, and stay.  My company forgot about all its workers over 50 because they weren't going to be there that long.  ugh. 

Esteemed Contributor

The fact is, there are are more Millennials entering the work force, or already in the work force, than there are people 50+ who are working.

It only makes sense that the work environment would be geared towards them.

They will be and already are running things.

The era of the YUPpie running things is over.

It's the younger generation's turn now.

One either goes with the flow, and adapts with the changes, or, leave, and be replaced by someone who can adapt.

And since the floor plan is geared towards Millennials, it kinda shoots down the myth that they only communicate via text, and not face-to-face, which I have seen posted on these boards.