Honored Contributor

Re: I was trying to figure out what to do for my husbands retirement

My husband was really a problem the first few years after retirement. He was as bored and took it out on everyone he met,so thus we had moved to Florida ,and he was wasn't exactly making friends. Then he found something to fill his time - volunteering at the food bank. He spends some time there about 4 to 5 days a week. They need him and he has been great for them and vice versa. I also volunteer there one day a week but it's mainly his passion to be grateful for all we have by giving to those who have little or nothing. 

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden

My husband said he could do your honey to do list in a week! Ha I don't think so, but just to let you know he loves to get things done right away, he hates it when someone at work says I'll do it tomorrow! oh no do it now is his motto!

Respected Contributor

Happy retirement!  Have fun!!  Perfect time for a road trip. 

Super Contributor

@gmkb

I can relate, my husband is a workaholic also!

The transition has not been easy and he is not even retired yet!

I though he might be going through a mid life crisis or something?

He has lost a few co workers one after he retired another one when he was on his way to work and got into an accident, he was set to retire soon. Another one in a nursing facility.

And they were not old, so I am sure it has to bother him.

He sure is pondering...

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My husband was really a problem the first few years after retirement. He was as bored and took it out on everyone he met,so thus we had moved to Florida ,and he was wasn't exactly making friends. Then he found something to fill his time - volunteering at the food bank. He spends some time there about 4 to 5 days a week. They need him and he has been great for them and vice versa. I also volunteer there one day a week but it's mainly his passion to be grateful for all we have by giving to those who have little or nothing. 

@151949

Thank you and your husband for your great generosity in helping others that are in need! Heart

Super Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

OMG you hit the nail on the head!! Hubby was driving me nuts when we both retired!!

Every time I wanted to go to the store...he wanted to drive me or go. "Wasn't in the mood for that" when I cooked dinner.Didn't know what to do with himself!!

He finally got a parttime job as an Usher at a Funeral Home and he is much happier ....and so AM I.

@Nataliesgramma

I had to chuckle, my husband always wants to drive me everywhere too!

Sounds like two peas in a pod! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

My dh has been retired since June and I really love going everywhere and doing everything with him by my side! He doesn't drive me crazy at all. I spent the last 39 years of him working and me being alone at home, I find it wonderful I get to spend all of our days together now. Heart

Did you work out of your home, or did you not work at all?

Honored Contributor

We would go to an old town, and go antiqueing!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine&rainbows wrote:

@SeaMaiden

My husband said he could do your honey to do list in a week! Ha I don't think so, but just to let you know he loves to get things done right away, he hates it when someone at work says I'll do it tomorrow! oh no do it now is his motto!

@sunshine&rainbows  Your husband sounds like a gem!

Honored Contributor

OP ....   what are your husband's interests?