Super Contributor

I was trying to figure out what to do for my husbands retirement

My husband is retiring and, we are celebrating our anniversary, mothers day, and my husbands birthday all within the same month!

So that's how I came up with a road trip! (Should of made that clear in my post) "

"Road Trip".

So excited, we are homebody's, so it will be so nice to hit the road and visit family and friends along the way. : ) !!!

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I was trying to figure out what to do for my husbands retirement

Since you are also retired, make sure he has a lot of hobbies.  Road trips probably won't last forever. Many wives of retired husbands ask:  "What can I do WITH my husband". 

We too celebrate our anniversary this month, and my wife celebrates her 90 year old mother on that day. No birthdays other than my 88 year old sister.

Enjoy while you can.      =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Since you are also retired, make sure he has a lot of hobbies.  Road trips probably won't last forever. Many wives of retired husbands ask:  "What can I do WITH my husband". 

We too celebrate our anniversary this month, and my wife celebrates her 90 year old mother on that day. No birthdays other than my 88 year old sister.

Enjoy while you can.      =^..^=

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn

I am not retired.

My husband is a workaholic, he already has plans!

Happy anniversary!

Happy 90th to mom! : )

Happy Birthday to your sister!

I wish you all happiness and health.

Thank you, back at ya enjoy it while you can my friend.

Honored Contributor

I'd give him some shrubs and a shovel................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

OMG you hit the nail on the head!! Hubby was driving me nuts when we both retired!!

Every time I wanted to go to the store...he wanted to drive me or go. "Wasn't in the mood for that" when I cooked dinner.Didn't know what to do with himself!!

He finally got a parttime job as an Usher at a Funeral Home and he is much happier ....and so AM I.

Honored Contributor

My dh has been retired since June and I really love going everywhere and doing everything with him by my side! He doesn't drive me crazy at all. I spent the last 39 years of him working and me being alone at home, I find it wonderful I get to spend all of our days together now. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Enjoy your road trip!  I do hope when the road trip is over that your DH has a hobby, so many people retire and those that their job was their world, they get bored pretty fast.  My DH has already decided when he retires from his job he's going to get a contracting job and work 2-5 more years, then get a part time job.  I'm working part time and I enjoy it.  I'm really not ready for my DH to be home 24/7.  I don't know when I'll be ready for that!  Good luck & congratulations!

Super Contributor

@Desertdi, @Nataliesgramma, @ID2, @Hayfield

Thank you all for the well wishes for our road trip, that will not last forever!

And just giving replies on how everyone handled there retirement differently.

My husband is retiring and also going to do contract work and knowing him, just keep on working?!

I am not retired.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

take time to stop and smell the roses... Heart

Respected Contributor

My husband was a workaholic, so I was concerned for him (and me) when he retired,  

Because he retired from an executive position that consumed him,  had no hobbies and would have hated a road trip, he needed to ponder his future carefuully.  

It took him a couple of months, a few travels he agreed to do, and finally took a part time job that he still has 6 years later.  He surprised me at the relatively easy transition.

Honored Contributor

I have a LONG LONG  honey do list waiting for DH when he retires... no need for him to be bored at all. All the household fixit jobs that he has put off for  25 years.. just waiting  for him.