Valued Contributor

Re: I need to vent Re: my friend and cell phones

Cell phones are a convenience for most people. It's nice to have one in the event of an emergency. However, the 24/7 attachment that some people have drives me crazy. If and when I am in the company of people who are not focused on their phones, but instead in our conversation/game/event, I always let them know how much I appreciate it. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@stazgirl wrote:

Maybe I am old fashioned, but no one NEEDS a cell phone.  People got along just fine without them before they came along, we all raised our children, made it to appointments, took care of aging parents, babysat and did all kinds of "normal" things without worrying whether we would miss a call. Leave a message after the beep... I spend all day long on the phone at work, last thing I want when I get home is to HAVE to answer my phone.  And yes, I have an aging mother in a care home, 2 grandchildren, a spouse who works nights.  My phone is set on DO NOT DISTURB, only those numbers I deem important will ring.   My husband"s, my daughter's and my mother's care home.. I told my kids many yrs ago when they turned 18 and they would complain that I was not avail tot hem 24/7 that I was no longer "legally" required to be there at their beck and call (NOT BEING MEAN< just took a little control of my life back)  ANd personally, I think it is RUDE to be on your ALL the time, no matter where you are or who you are with,  if your phone is more important to look than me, than I will go home and read a book instead of spending time with you.

Yes, you are kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face. People got along, but it wasn't just fine. People died because they couldn't get certain kinds of medical help quickly enough and hospitals often had lengthy delays contacting family regarding treatment. People had no way home sometimes and no way to contact anyone stranded out in the middle of nowhere. 

Pay phones were everywhere 50-60 years ago. Try to find one now.

What if a young grandchild you're babysitting has an accident, seizure, etc. and their parents are on vacation 3 states away - is it "fine" to not be able to keep them informed in a timely way?

If an elderly relative had a stroke, or even passed away suddenly at a nursing home and you were out for the day 100 miles away and didn't find out until midnight, is that "fine"?

Peoples' lives have been saved when they ran out of gas or had a flat in the desert, or who fell down a cliff, or whose car rolled down a cliff off the road, who would have DIED if they hadn't had their cell. Is that "fine"? 

I'm not speaking to your described personal use of *your* cell phone, but your statement that "no one NEEDS a cell phone." Maybe not, if they don't care whether other people, or themselves, die for not having one.

A second vote for no one NEEDS a cell phone.

We need air, and water and shelter and food. Those things are needs.

People today are fortunate for the OPPORTUNITY to have the CONVENIENCE of cell phones. 

If my relative 100 miles away dies in a rest home while I'm out shopping for the day, they were going to die anyway, and my cell wouldn't save them. I most likely wouldn't have made the 100 mile trip in time to be there when it happened if they were able to reach me anyway.

People in hospitals in life threatening situations are treated without permission or contacting family. They certainly don't leave someone to die because they can't locate the next of kin on their cell.

If a grandchild or anyone at home has an emergency and there is a land line or a neighbor close to call for help, it isn't any difference than a cell.

For many years, my husband and I shared a cell phone, as he worked nights, I worked days, and we each had it while we were out and about. The few times I was out without one, and had car trouble or hit a deer, there were still many kind, helpful people who would stop and lend a hand. I have done the same when I have a phone and see someone in need. Being in a few situations and not having a phone, caused me to have to rely on the kindness of strangers, and restored my faith that there are still a lot of caring people out there.

Of course one can point to many circumstances where having a cell phone saved their lives or got them help when in a bad situation. But one can point to just as many people who are dead from texting and driving etc. 

Cell phones and all they can do can be an ENRICHMENT to our lives, but are certainly not a necessity  for basic survival, they way many want us to believe.

This technology is working as much to separate us from each other as it is to bring us together. A definite double edged sword.

Well then, for basic survival, no one needs a house or apartment, they can always live in a tent, or sleep in the open - the homeless do it all the time and they survive. People live without health insurance, transportation, decent clothing or shoes, and without decent food or clean drinking water. They live without indoor plumbing or sanitary facilities.  But how many would choose to live without those things, and whose definition of basic are we using - Amazon jungle, the slums of Mumbai or Rio, or the US? "Basic survival" can be somewhat relative.

NIce try, but the luxury of a cell phone doesn't begin to compare in importance with sanitary facilities or health insurance in rank of importance. 

Guess it just goes to show how messed up many people's priorities are these days.

LOL "try."  YOU were the one who used the term "basic survival." Guess it just goes to show how some feel they get to define things for everyone, not just themselves.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

I have a cell phone that I always keep charged.

It's not super glued to my hand 24/7.

If someone calls, and it's urgent, I'll return the call right away.

If it's something that can wait, then I'll return the call at MY convenience.

If they have a problem with that, then though ***t!!!

They don't get to dictate when I return calls.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have an IPhone.  Do I NEED it?  No.  I seldom turn it on.  I am not available to everyone 24/7.  I work in a high tech field, but get way enough of it at work.  My private life is my call.  

I have worked on the cutting edge for more than 30 years.  I'm not afraid of technology, but I refuse to let it rule my life.  I'm not going to jump like one of Pavlov's dogs every time that thing gets a message that chicken is on sale. . . or somebody sends a picture of a cat.  I have far better things to do and to occupy my mind.

It's America.  People have a choice.  Be happy that we have that choice.

You said exactly what I was thinking. It is a sad thing when others put someone else down for having a different set of values and beliefs and try to bully them into the same mindset.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I'm confused how cell phones are different than landlines.

People are throwing their chest out, proudly proclaiming 

"I'm not tied to my phone"..even turning it off (?) to lock down 

that thought. 

But....way back before cell phones, I would guarantee said people

wouldn't unplug their landline...on a regular basis...

'not to be tied to their phone'. If it rang, they would answer. If they didn't want to answer, it would go to answering machine/voice mail.

Technology is the same. 

Same ring.

Same answer, if you wish.

Same voice mail, if you wish.

One is with you; the other is 10 miles away.

Cell phone, landline.  It's all the same.

It's just geography at this point. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't understand some of the thinking here.  Why does anyone believe you must use a cell phone continuously if you have it with you and turned on?  I've read many posts from people bragging their aren't a slave to their phone, it's not surgically attached, etc.  It's this all or nothing thinking which baffles me.  Why can't you have a cell phone with you and go about your business?  Why can't you ignore a call and let it go to voice mail if you can't or don't want to answer the call? 

I've worked with a lot of patients who had accidents or medical emergencies and were not able to contact anyone for help.  Why?  Because they didn't have a cell phone with them or no medical alert.  I carry my cell phone in my pocket when I go for a walk, work in my flowers, clean out gutters and when I was remodeling the house next door.  I did fall once while next door, wasn't hurt but was thankful I had a means to call for help. 

As I posted earlier, some have a reverse snobbery when it comes to technology or being an early adopter.  I have friends who brag they aren't attached to their cell phone like it's a badge of honor.  One changed her tune when she didn't know her elderly mother was taken to the hospital until hours later because no one could get ahold of her.  She wasn't home, her cell was turned off and setting on the dining room table. 

Technology can and does enhance our lives.  It only becomes an obsession or problem if you let it. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I really don't understand some of the thinking here.  Why does anyone believe you must use a cell phone continuously if you have it with you and turned on?  I've read many posts from people bragging their aren't a slave to their phone, it's not surgically attached, etc.  It's this all or nothing thinking which baffles me.  Why can't you have a cell phone with you and go about your business?  Why can't you ignore a call and let it go to voice mail if you can't or don't want to answer the call? 

I've worked with a lot of patients who had accidents or medical emergencies and were not able to contact anyone for help.  Why?  Because they didn't have a cell phone with them or no medical alert.  I carry my cell phone in my pocket when I go for a walk, work in my flowers, clean out gutters and when I was remodeling the house next door.  I did fall once while next door, wasn't hurt but was thankful I had a means to call for help. 

As I posted earlier, some have a reverse snobbery when it comes to technology or being an early adopter.  I have friends who brag they aren't attached to their cell phone like it's a badge of honor.  One changed her tune when she didn't know her elderly mother was taken to the hospital until hours later because no one could get ahold of her.  She wasn't home, her cell was turned off and setting on the dining room table. 

Technology can and does enhance our lives.  It only becomes an obsession or problem if you let it. 

Excellent post, @glb613 .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do believe that in some areas there are a lot (tons) of teens, adults looking down, texting or whatever while walking around.  Even while driving (lots of them).  So, some folks (including myself) are 'turned off' re: cell phones, seeing all of that every single day.  However, they do 'come in handy' when needed in an emergency.  Nice to have one in our pocket while walking, or placed somewhere in our car(s), just in case.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I'm trying to figure out how this is YOUR problem?  And, why do other people in your friend's life think it is?  What will it take for you to finally leave this poor woman alone and let her handle her business the way she wants? 

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how this is YOUR problem?  And, why do other people in your friend's life think it is?  What will it take for you to finally leave this poor woman alone and let her handle her business the way she wants? 

@MomCat    @mrsbear    

Well stated !!!