Honored Contributor

Re: I need to vent Re: my friend and cell phones

Wonder what this friend/mother does with all her spare time?

Is babysitting the grandchildren a daily thing?

Even if babysitting is just a random ooccurrence,

I can't imagine someone leaving their child

without some sort of reputable communication.

Would anyone expect that of a Daycare business?

Honored Contributor

p.s.  I just read a few more posts...........another thought that popped into my mind:  It's a possibility that she enjoys the drama of everyone trying to contact her, fretting, running around, trying to 'fix' everything for her (appointments, etc.).  Kind of like a Queen, and her servants running around, doing 'this and that' for her.  Straightening out various complications.   Just another thought........... p.s.  Many years ago I made up a saying:  "A Queen doesn't serve her servants."

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. Again:  She and her daughter could be 'playing games' with each other.  After reading that the mom is hurt when her daughter doesn't answer her phone, looks as though the mom is 'paying her daughter back', by not answering her phone as well.  Seems rather dysfunctional, if you ask me.  I'd find another babysitter (agency), located in my area.  Not being able to lift a toddler could be dangerous for both the mom and the toddler.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@mrsbear wrote:

Thanks for all the input-it remains a mystery to me why she would rather be the object of jokes in her family about her phone use or lack thereof instead of acknowledging that it is necessary for many reasons. The logical solution is for me not to be so available to her at a moment's notice I suppose.  We have always had a good relationship but this is difficult.  When her heart problems were diagnosed, her daughter insisted that she had to have a cell phone that worked before she would let her babysit.  I helped her buy and set one up with all the bells and whistles so that her daughter would be more agreeable to her babysitting.  

@mrsbear

If her heart problems are so bad, should she be responsible for a child?

What if she had a cardiac event, stroke, etc., and couldn't call anyone, what would the child do, other than be terrified, especially since her Mom works "fairly far away"?

If I were that Mom, I would make alternative baby sitting arrangements.

There is the problem , above. A basic phone would have been better. I bet she is intimidated by the bells and whistles.

QVC Customer Care

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh good grief. I'm not a technology snob. This has nothing to do with technology. It's about the expectation some have of others to drop everything every time the phone rings (or a text or email comes). 

I'm online several times a day.  I have email and I check it several times a day.. I answer my phone when I'm available. I check my messages. I call people back as soon as I can.

I'm hardly unreachable. I simply do not apologise for not bringing a cell phone up the ladder when I'm cleaning the gutters, mowing the lawn,  in the middle of canning, or in the bathtub, or any number of other things that I need to get done without interruption.

If someone drops me as a friend because I'm not immediately available for their needs every second of the day and night, then I don't think they were a good friend to begin with.

I do think that the friend mentioned in the OP is being ridiculous to refuse to answer her phone or check her messages. What I disagreed with was everyone trying to force her to change. If she doesn't choose to change, then she shouldn't be babysitting, and everyone else needs to stop picking up her slack. Let her sleep in the bed she's made.

Respected Contributor

If the insurer approved something, why does she have to know about it immediately?  Won't it still be approved a few days from now? 

I understand that she doesn't want to be tied to the phone.  I don't even have a cell phone at the moment.  The last one I got was defective so I sent it back.  That was in early 2015.

Some people just don't like the phone.  Maybe you could teach her how to text and get stuff through her e-mail.  Can't you receive texts that way? 

Respected Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

Oh good grief. I'm not a technology snob. This has nothing to do with technology. It's about the expectation some have of others to drop everything every time the phone rings (or a text or email comes). 

I'm online several times a day.  I have email and I check it several times a day.. I answer my phone when I'm available. I check my messages. I call people back as soon as I can.

I'm hardly unreachable. I simply do not apologise for not bringing a cell phone up the ladder when I'm cleaning the gutters, mowing the lawn,  in the middle of canning, or in the bathtub, or any number of other things that I need to get done without interruption.

If someone drops me as a friend because I'm not immediately available for their needs every second of the day and night, then I don't think they were a good friend to begin with.

I do think that the friend mentioned in the OP is being ridiculous to refuse to answer her phone or check her messages. What I disagreed with was everyone trying to force her to change. If she doesn't choose to change, then she shouldn't be babysitting, and everyone else needs to stop picking up her slack. Let her sleep in the bed she's made.

That is just plain stupid.  If you are ever going to fall or get hurt and need help, it's when you are doing chores around the house.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  And what's worse, you can choose not to answer if it's in your pocket and you're busy.  But if you do need it and it's turned off and in the car, it does you NO GOOD.

Respected Contributor

I get what you're saying @Anita Hug.   I'm very reachable, but I don't live my life by the cell phone and it's not surgically attached to me.  :-)

Honored Contributor

Her problem and her daughter's problem, not yours.    If you are inserting yourself-stop.   If they are inserting you- learn some boundaries.