Honored Contributor

I'm going to have to not watch the news again today.

I don't want to create high blood pressure in myself. I've never seen the things going on the way they do today among the human's today.

Weather channel may be a safe bet. Or a movie or music channel. The news is too messed up! I go through all feelings, of unbelievable, and sad and mad, etc. It just feels like too much today.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm going to have to not watch the news again today.

[ Edited ]

In today's world I guess this is the new normal. You turn on the news to see the next tragedy unfold. I can't watch anymore to depressing. It's bad enough you want to go to the movies and they search your purse. You always have to be aware of your surroundings . Sad.

Trusted Contributor

Amen to that QualityGal.

Honored Contributor

Gun violence, racial tensions, tragic accidents, deadly diseases, weather disasters, economic uncertainty, global terrorism, political blowhards, scuzzy "celebrities." Have l left anything out? It's enough to make me want to run for the hills.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I never understood the OP's point of view. I always thought the more informed one was, the better. I believed that to not keep up with the news daily (not an all day everyday thing, but monitoring news at least once daily) was rather socially irresponsible.

But as I get older, I am beginning to understand. Somehow we each have to find the balance between being informed and allowing the bad news to touch our hearts and minds (after all, if we don't know, we can't act, or be part of the solution for the problems presented), and being overwhelmed to the point of either numbness or apathy. 

I think we each find our own way to balance, and it seems the world is a much more cruel, horrible place than it was years ago. But I truly don't know if it really is, or it is just in our face with all the 24/7/365 news available, that never was decades ago. 

Not watching doesn't make the bad things go away, and if watching alters one's life, not for the better, it serves no positive purpose either. I guess it is a balancing act, that each of us must choose for ourselves, and I think that balance differs at different stages of our lives.

Wishing some good and happy news for everyone today.

Respected Contributor

It's overload. You hear a tragic story and they run it again and again...and again. It annoys my husband sometimes, but after about 30 mins of the Today Show, the music goes on. I know I need to work on more "silent" time with everything off. 

Honored Contributor

If this is the new norm in news I want no part of it.  Like Ms Qaulity,  I agree there is so much sad, mad, disrespect, untruths, unsexy sex, disgust, sheer stupidity - where do I begin??!!  And these are all from the humans beings with a brain to know what's right and what's not!!! 

I'm just going to hang with my poodle Wally - he knows what's  going on.  Never talks back, unconditional love, barks to alert me to something, and never shoots anybody.

@Mominohio wrote:

I never understood the OP's point of view. I always thought the more informed one was, the better. I believed that to not keep up with the news daily (not an all day everyday thing, but monitoring news at least once daily) was rather socially irresponsible.

But as I get older, I am beginning to understand. Somehow we each have to find the balance between being informed and allowing the bad news to touch our hearts and minds (after all, if we don't know, we can't act, or be part of the solution for the problems presented), and being overwhelmed to the point of either numbness or apathy. 

I think we each find our own way to balance, and it seems the world is a much more cruel, horrible place than it was years ago. But I truly don't know if it really is, or it is just in our face with all the 24/7/365 news available, that never was decades ago. 

Not watching doesn't make the bad things go away, and if watching alters one's life, not for the better, it serves no positive purpose either. I guess it is a balancing act, that each of us must choose for ourselves, and I think that balance differs at different stages of our lives.

Wishing some good and happy news for everyone today.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't watch the Weather Channel......Hurricane Fred just formed in the Atlantic while Tampa is flooding fronm the remnants of Erica.....and the Pacific has  A Cat 4 hurricane Jimnea. I think there are 2 others right behind this one.....

The Hallmark channel might be the only place to goSmiley Tongue

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally don't let the news, whatever it is concerning, affect me in such a way it could alter my body functions such as blood pressure,etc.

I am extremely concerned about the many horrendous world events, but I refuse to internalize them. I can truly be sypathetic, empathetic and mindful of all things. But I will not worry about what I don't affect, create, and or can't change. I listen to my Daddy who always tells me to talk to him about it. He makes me feel good because he is concerned about me so much that he helps me not to worry and get overly concerned. We talk about all of the events constantly. I always feel so much better after we conclude our conversations and discussions.

Wouldn't it be great if the amount of worry everyone has could change any situation ?  But it cannot. 

Therefore, I refuse to go through my daily life getting all torn up about massive  civic situations that are way out of my power to do anything more about except to pray , have caring feelings, and be mindful of them. 

I am still somewhat selective about what I read or watch, as I don't think it is good to force negativity, but when it comes up in life I will handle it in the manner I stated.

Achieving the correct mindset is necessary for all of life. Otherwise, children would be traumatized and adults couldn't cope well either. We must be able to exist in our world without making our own selves crazy.

I hope everyone has a peaceful day today.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

With the news being so dismal, politics,murders and sexual disfunction being 90% of what is on there , I have found I am much more serene not turning it on. Honestly, when it is on I find myself yelling at the TV out of frustration over what is on. Right now DH is watching Morning Joe & I hope he goes to get his shower soon so I can turn it off. When we are at home in Florida the local news is much more pleasant. No daily list of murders and sexual assualts. The news here in Pittsburgh is sooo much more dismal.