Honored Contributor

I really feel like I'm becoming more like my mother! I use to make fun of her, she would start up a conversation with anyone, usually standing on line. I now find I do exactly the same thing! She always says when I say something I was thinking the same thing! It's like we are sharing one brain!

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Turning Into My Mother

Too funny @Jordan2

I always say "Mirror Mirror on Wall I am my Mother after all!"

And I do the same, I talk to everyone whether in line or just sitting on a bench.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, I got a chuckle out of this.  I look more like my mother every day.  People used to tell I did but I didn't get it until about ten years ago.  It's all good!  I miss her so every day.  We were very close.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's okay @Jordan2!  The really bad shock is when you look in the mirror one day and see her looking back.  LOL 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I hear this so much, especially with those who have had kids.  I never had kids but I'd have to say, even so, if I started turning into MY mother I'd probably kill myself.  She is/was (whichever applies - I have no idea) a truly wretched, cruel person.  I don't want to be one iota like her.

But, you know, your 'like your mother' qualities are probably not so bad.  Smiley Happy  If I had had a good mother I don't think I would mind if I started to find qualities in myself that are like hers.

I know that I use some of the sayings that my father, even though I was not around him while I was growing up, said.    He came from the south, just like the mother monster so, as we all know, there are some interesting phrases and sayings there.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I really feel like I'm becoming more like my mother! I use to make fun of her, she would start up a conversation with anyone, usually standing on line. I now find I do exactly the same thing! She always says when I say something I was thinking the same thing! It's like we are sharing one brain!

I do this too and some people look at you like you are crazy!  

Honored Contributor

I used to get embarrassed by a friend who always struck up conversations with strangers, now I do it myself.  Not as much, but I do it.  The other day I was waiting for a lab test and a couple came in, smiled and held the look.

I said, Hi there, it sure is cold in here, and that began a 15 minute conversation which was a lot more fun than just sitting there.

Anyway, I am like my mother in so many things, which is a good thing.  I loved her so much, we were so close.

I look in my daughter's face... she gets compliments on her smile all the time.  Her lips and mouth are beautiful, they are the same as my mother's.  The day she was born, my BF since childhood took one look and proclaimed she had my mother's smile.  It's a gift to me.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Love your story, Noel!   I'm glad you had a wonderful mother and now you have your wonderful daughter.  It makes my heart feel good just knowing that.  

I do that 'starting up of conversations' too.  It's kind of odd, because I'm fairly shy, especially with people I don't know.  But when I'm in line somewhere or whatever I might say something.  If the person says something back we might talk for a bit and it's pleasant.

Growing up, when I did, in N. CA, I was always one who smiled at passersby and said 'hi'.   I still do that.  That's something I wouldn't want to lose.  My mother was not a very nice person, however, so I didn't get that from her.  I guess I just got it from me.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Love your story, Noel!   I'm glad you had a wonderful mother and now you have your wonderful daughter.  It makes my heart feel good just knowing that.  

I do that 'starting up of conversations' too.  It's kind of odd, because I'm fairly shy, especially with people I don't know.  But when I'm in line somewhere or whatever I might say something.  If the person says something back we might talk for a bit and it's pleasant.

Growing up, when I did, in N. CA, I was always one who smiled at passersby and said 'hi'.   I still do that.  That's something I wouldn't want to lose.  My mother was not a very nice person, however, so I didn't get that from her.  I guess I just got it from me.  Smiley Happy

I know how badly she treated you, CB.  I had a great mother but my father was cold, distant and beyond stern.

My husband is more like my mother was in that he's warm hearted and kind.  He would never hit anyone.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

I am, too, @Jordan2!! I notice it more and more each year. My mother is a wonderful woman, so it's a good thing!! Smiley Wink