Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Still Stunned.... Warning.... Long explanation.

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Can't understand why you're still going there if service is so bad. Eat somewhere else or don't sit in his section. On the other hand, I can see why the waiter is so confused with your 'eggs'. First you tell him you don't eat eggs, complain to management, then you go back and order eggs. I would've said the same thing - 'thought you didn't eat eggs'. There's two sides to every story. 

To avoid further drama, your best bet is to eat somewhere else, and maybe go out for lunch or dinner instead.  

@Mimi 1883     @Q4u

I agree ......   If a customer did that in most restaurants, the server would remember and think this was just a very difficult person.   To complain to management and then come back 2 weeks later and then order the eggs she supposedly couldn't eat  .....  well, I can see how it appeared!

This server OBVIOUSLY needs more training .....  they were definitely in the wrong, but the manager on duty should have been summoned.    It's not up to the customers to train the servers!    I don't like this guy's behavior, but it's pretty clear this restaurant is having problems ..... go elsewhere!

Honored Contributor

@FleurFairy wrote:

Your problem is...you are too nice. Some people deserve to get fired. If they don't do their job properly, they shouldn't be cashing a paycheck. You should have complained to management and given them the full rundown instead of meekly apologizing for complaining. And you should never go back there again.

I never apologized to anyone concerning any of this.... and I've never been described as meek, LOL....  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I would not go back to a restaurant where I've had a dispute with a server.  You don't know what "revenge" that person, esp. an unbalanced person, could take out in the kitchen on your food (e.g. spitting into your food,  or something even worse).  There is no way I would patronize that place any more, esp. after two altercations, even if I had to drive many miles to go elsewhere.  It's not worth the risk.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

What I don't understand is why you sat the 1-1/2 hours without food the first time and then went back again.  

Because we kept thinking it would get better, and everything was dripping in, one item at a time... we knew the restaurant was having trouble and were giving them time to make it right.  The coffee came with the mug and his explanation.  I wanted a disposable cup, he went away again, eventually I got that.  Waited awhile and got the eggs, that was wrong, and I sent that back.  He comes back with just potatos (which I didn't order....) it just continued and continued.

We went back because (as I said, there aren't many places to pick from) and we understood the service and kitchen had almost returned to normal, so gave it another try....

Bad waiters don't necessarily make a bad restaurant.  While I'm with you on the giving it a second try, I would have asked for a different table and waiter.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

If it took that long for an order, the cup situation, they couldnt provide the right order, I would've walked out and never returned.........-they would've NEVER EVER gotten a second chance....

However, you made a big deal out of not being able to eat eggs....and then on your next visit you ordered eggs....I would've been a little PO'd at that, BUT the waiter certainly should have KEPT THAT THOUGHT TO HIMSELF---especially if he wanted any tip at all...

Easy solution---DON'T GO THERE EVER AGAIN!!!....and spread the word locally about the service/food too..

Interesting response.  I can't eat eggs.  I didn't tell the waiter why, it was none of his business.  I didn't order eggs, but he brought them to me anyway.  Why shouldn't I make a big deal out of it?  Had I been allergic and didn't notice they were real eggs, I would have been in real trouble....and so would the restaurant!.   

You would have been p.o'd if someone ordered one thing and got something else? Upset because you were told someone couldn't eat eggs and didn't order eggs.  I didn't feel the reason why was any of his business.  And it isn't.  I rarely eat eggs because of cholesterol.... so I can't have them.  Because I ordered them the next time shouldn't affect him in any way.....(it was a treat as I said in my OP) and I can't believe that I have to lay down my medical history regarding this in order to "satisfy" a server who thinks they need to understand why.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I want to thank everyone for contributing....  

To answer if we tipped him.  Yes, both times because we know how hard this work is, and I have to say that this is a very small town and there just aren't many places to choose to eat and this one is The Egg and I, the only other one is International House of Pancakes and that one's awful all the time..... McDonalds is better and probably will be visited by us a little more....

We DID talk to the Manager when the first visit turned into an hour and a half.  We talked to him regarding the "rinsing out" of the coffee mugs, etc.  and he was appalled and he might might have talked to him but we didn't ask, but would explain this guy's attitude towards me....

Thanks for all the support.  We really ARE patient regarding stuff like this.  We understand that it's not a perfect science and most servers are trying very hard  AND this little town is a far cry from the Big City (San Diego) where we lived for decades where we had unlimited places to choose to eat if we wanted to.....

You won't believe this (but maybe you will considering the world today).... but I dreamed last night that he came to our table with a gun.... hoo boy, that's how strange I find him..... Woman Mad  

@Q4u

I bet there's even more problems than you are aware of if they can't keep their experienced servers ..... perhaps management wasn't paying them on time and vendors aren't getting paid, either.    That would put ANY employee in a very foul mood.

Dirty cups and poorly trained staff might very well be the least of it .....   If there are money problems, they may be serving slightly spoiled food that should have been tossed .....   What's next?   Salmonella?    

This restaurant needs to either close ... or get their act together.   YES, please have a conversation with Management .... or, as suggested upthread, print out your OP and mail it to the Manager with your name and phone number written on it.   

Better yet ......   alert the local health department.  Let them get into the underbelly of this establishment .... you would be doing your community a big favor! 

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Interesting response.  I can't eat eggs.  I didn't tell the waiter why, it was none of his business.  I didn't order eggs, but he brought them to me anyway.  Why shouldn't I make a big deal out of it?  Had I been allergic and didn't notice they were real eggs, I would have been in real trouble....and so would the restaurant!.   

You would have been p.o'd if someone ordered one thing and got something else? Upset because you were told someone couldn't eat eggs and didn't order eggs.  I didn't feel the reason why was any of his business.  And it isn't.  I rarely eat eggs because of cholesterol.... so I can't have them.  Because I ordered them the next time shouldn't affect him in any way.....(it was a treat as I said in my OP) and I can't believe that I have to lay down my medical history regarding this in order to "satisfy" a server who thinks they need to understand why.   

It was once believed that eggs contributed to raising a person's cholesterol. You may want to research eggs and cholesterol, and discuss with your doctor regarding the fact that eggs have minimal effect on blood cholesterol and, therefore, heart disease. In fact, the benefits of eating the yolk may outweigh any disadvantages. 

Esteemed Contributor

To me, there is a difference between "I can't eat eggs", and "I don't eat eggs.".

To me, the first one, "I CAN'T eat eggs" means there is a health reason, such as an allergy, where if one were to eat them, there would be some sort of physical reaction.

To me, the second one, "I DON'T eat eggs", means that it is a personal preference, or choice.

For example, I don't eat brussel sprouts, not because I am allergic to them, which I am not, but simply because I don't like them.

But that's just me.

So, I can see the confusion on the waiter's part.

Having said that, I wouldn't have gone back a second time, I don't care how "small" a town is. There are always other options, such as going to another restaurant the next town over.

Honored Contributor

OP - you made a huge deal out of saying you "can't eat eggs" - went to the manager and got the waiter in trouble and everything over this -- then the next time you come in you order eggs. If I were your waiter I would have also questioned that order since you made such an issue of it the last time you were there that you CAN'T EAT EGGS.If I were him I would not have wanted to bring you an order of eggs either.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

If it took that long for an order, the cup situation, they couldnt provide the right order, I would've walked out and never returned.........-they would've NEVER EVER gotten a second chance....

However, you made a big deal out of not being able to eat eggs....and then on your next visit you ordered eggs....I would've been a little PO'd at that, BUT the waiter certainly should have KEPT THAT THOUGHT TO HIMSELF---especially if he wanted any tip at all...

Easy solution---DON'T GO THERE EVER AGAIN!!!....and spread the word locally about the service/food too..

So...you CAN eat eggs, you usually CHOOSE not to.  Big difference.  It's no wonder he questioned you on your second visit.  And if it's none of his business on your second visit, it was none of his business on your first visit. 

You DID tip him.  Because you felt sorry for him?  A charity tip?  A pity tip?  Certainly not for his excellent service. 

And yet you berated him loudly with the intention of attracting the attention of others.  Trying to imagine that...yelling back and forth, hubby gets involved, and leave a tip on the table...or did you hand it to him?...on your way out.

WOW.  Woman Surprised

eta...Had you been allergic you would have SAID you were allergic and more likely than not care would have been taken to avoid serving you eggs.

My earlier comment about a tip for him was complete sarcasm.  He didn't deserve a tip IMO.

Keepin' it real.