Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Still Stunned.... Warning.... Long explanation.

Years ago I had a similar experience with a waiter.  We always went to an upscale restaurant at the beach every year with friends and children.

I am a very specific orderer (is there such a word)?  Anyway, I wanted to order something that was on the menu (filet mignon, which I usually get).  I told him I'd like it cooked 'medium'.  He stood there and told me it was unhealthy and the other things I'd ordered weren't good for me and bla bla (all was on the menu).

My husband was extremely in good shape and this guy was some skinny unkempt looking thing.  My husband stood up and said, "I think you'd better give my wife what she ordered, the way she ordered it and give me the manager....."  The manager didn't come but the food did.  Everyone's was fine but mine was terrible, like leather and not what I'd ordered!  

We found the manager, told him what had happened.  He said, "forget payment and the meal was on the restaurant".  But my husband made sure to leave 1 penny for a tip so the idiot would know we didn't forget him.

Can you believe the idiot came running out of the parking lot telling us "we forgot to tip him".  My husband was ready to go off on him.  But he didn't.  He got in his face and said, "Go look again.  We didn't forget.  That penny is your tip, you must have missed seeing it.  You'd better hang on to it because the manager said "you are fired", Evidently, you have seen him yet.  Have a good day sir!  

We never went back there but had many good laughs over the years with telling that story.  People are downright stupid sometimes, aren't they?

Honored Contributor

I would not have gone back to the restaurant after the dirty cup thing.  And I would not mention it to the manager--who obviously knows stuff like this goes on.  Just find a better restaurant and forget it.  It's ot worth stewing about and not up to you to try to "fix" the restaurant.  Going elsewhere is your complaint enough.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Time  to find another place to eat.  PAST time.

And I hope you tipped him.  Servers make so little.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not @esmerelda. I was a server for years and I tip at the very least 30% but there is no way he would get a dime from me. 

I also think it is time to pick a new place to eat. Can I ask if a manager or owner was there when this happened? It sounds like the management and other employees would have heard this for sure, I was just wondering if anyone intervened? 

IMO and going on my experience of being a server, this is grounds for immediate termination. There is no second chance with a server who argues with a customer like that or questions why you couldn't eat eggs last time and could this time. This is just someone with a really bad attitude and any manager with a lick of sense would get this person out of their restaurant immediately before they drive more customers away. Restaurants and hospitality in general has a high turnover rate but it sounds like this restaurant may have have a higher rate than the average. 

Could you just let us know if the management or owner knows about this and what they did? 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

First of all, I'm sorry for your bad experience. Of course, you are totally in the right here. My advice:  a) never, ever set foot on this place again and b) call and tell the owner exactly WHY you won't be returning. Don't worry about this guy losing his job.  He needs  to find another line of work - one where he doesn't deal directly with customers. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

My son has been in the restaurant business a long time, and he has fired servers for far less than this.  Good customer service is a high priority!

I agree with those who have said you should not go back.  IMO the server was clearly a jerk, but the blame should go to management.  You complained the first time, so management was aware.  The server either should have been let go or re-trained.  And carefully watched.  The fact that he still had a job there, still had learned nothing about what his job entails, and was still rude & inappropriate is a clear indication that management doesn't care.

It sounds as though you were far more patient than most people would be.  You owed the server no explanation.  I certainly would have asked to speak to the manager right away.  There's not one reason why you should have had to put up with any of that.  

If this is the kind of place where management doesn't care about the way patrons are treated (not to mention the rinsed-out coffee cup, which raises questions about what else goes on there), then I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in giving this place my business.  You deserve better!  

Esteemed Contributor

Very simply eat somewhere else. or wait a few months and the guy will  be fired because he is probably going to go from one issue to another with other people.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry that happened to you. That waiter should be fired. No one should talk to anyone like that, let alone a customer! Also I would not have waited that long to eat (the first time). And I wouldn't go back there again.

My daughter is a server at a nice restaurant. I can tell you that you were being more than kind! My daughter deals with "some" customers that are horrendous (which you were not), and she never would speak to them like that!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

What I don't understand is why you sat the 1-1/2 hours without food the first time and then went back again.  

Honored Contributor

So very sorry you had to deal with this person.

I have to be short, but the first thought I had was although the situation was totally over the top, in these days of entitlement and so many people believing that they are all a special case, why am I not totally shocked?

Also, I would wonder where the manager was and why another wait staff member didn't go get the manager if in fact he was in the back.

I do hope you left no tip!

Respected Contributor

@Q4u  Why not print a copy of your originating post and mail it to the proprietor?   He deserves, needs, to know why he has lost another customer.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.