Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Still Stunned.... Warning.... Long explanation.

Please don't go back to that restaurant.  I'm sure there are other nice restaurants in your area.  Just forget about this experience, move onto another (nicer) restaurant, and enjoy!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I can understand how you feel. Seems that even if you were just being "persnickety", for the sake of argument only, you are a customer and you should have received better treatment. My dh and I went to a restaurant one time that we had frequented for years, and had to return a steak which was very poor quality especially for the price. My meal was also terrible although I did eat half of it, before the waitress came back. We complained and asked for the check. They cooked another steak contrary to our desire for the check. Everyone was finished and we said no thanks, because we were leaving. The waitress argued about my comments about my meal, and the owner insisted that my husband eat some of the steak since she disagreed with him. We got the check and paid for all of it, and have never stepped into the restaurant again. Yes, this stuff shouldn't happen.

Honored Contributor

I try to be a very calm, patient, understanding customer.  If a server forgets my condiments, extra napkins, or I have to wait for a drink refill, I take it in stride and go on.   However, this experience is FAR beyond my tolerance level, and you handled it with far more grace than I possess.   I probably would've lost my religion with this experience.    

Honored Contributor

He was wrong, but if eating at this place routinely created a hassle for me, I'd most definitely find another place and I'm also most certainly let the manager know why I would not be returning. The place was noted as having gone downhill, so really, no good reason to eat there.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I totally understand how something like this can really rattle you and stick in your mind for quite some time.

I certainly would recommend never going there again. At least not until new management or ownership takes over and improves things.

I also believe that people like him continue to do what they do and treat people like they do because the get by with it. Most people won't say anything, or will back down when he pushes. That is why, unless I feel a situation unsafe, I speak up and take no grief from people. Not speaking up simply gives them more power to continue to be that way.

Hope you can let go of it, find somewhere else you enjoy going, and find good service somewhere else. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would have called the manager over & told him what happened! Then I'd find another breakfast place!! You should not have to spend your time & money to get abused!! I hope you didn't leave a tip!!

My husband & I go out a lot.When I have an issue with the server,service or food I always ask for a manager.This past weekend we went to Outback for dinner.We both ordered steaks.Mine came out fine DH was too well done.I ate mine & his took 35 minutes to come back.So I ended up eating alone & DH watched me eat!! The waitress sent over the manager who apologized & picked up our entire check!!

If you don't speak up you will be rolled over!!

Honored Contributor

I agree with everyone who said that it is time to find a new place so that you can ENJOY a meal out.I would wonder about the food safety and cleanliness standards of that place too.

Honored Contributor

I've had the odd bad experience in restaurants.  We probably all have.

However, given Q4U's explanation, I would've walked out long before an hour and a half.  And considering the "rinsed cup" and loss of experienced personnel, the wrong order?  I'd be very concerned about what else was going on in that kitchen that I didn't know about.

I would've left and never returned.  Plus, I'd likely have reported the incident to the local health authority to investigate.  (They could be serving food long after it should've been thrown out, if they're in difficulty.)

We recently had a less than pleasant visit to our regular diner (for breakfast), where our food was not up to standard and our waitress (a regular) was rather "snippy", shall we say?  This was on a Sunday, when the owners aren't usually there.

We ate our food, paid and left and agreed we will be giving it a miss for a while.  Stuff happens and usually things settle back down again.  In the meantime, we're going elsewhere.

But there are restaurants we've walked out of and have never gone back to.  We go out to dine to enjoy ourselves, not be treated with disdain and downright disrespect.  (And, yes, we also routinely tip more than 20% for good service and make allowances for someone having a "bad day".)

Honored Contributor

I would move on and not look back even if he wasn't there anymore.  They run out of food and clean cups.  That's probably the tip of the iceberg.  I wouldn't trust the food was safe.

Honored Contributor

I could never be a server and admire people who are and are good at it.