Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Not A Violent Person, However..........

@Kachina624  Relax, no one is going to confront him.  The cats we feed don't venture far. They don't want to miss a meal. He owns across the road, the fields behind us and the hovel of the house and barn on one side of us.  

The other side neighbor is an 80 yr, old woman 1/4 mile away, so yes, I feel I can safely say it was his trap.

Respected Contributor

I would report; him/her to the human society.  They could press charges and could receive jail time.  I would also check with local authorities.  I have a feeling they'd refer you to the human society but they could give advice and get the ball rolling.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I think they outlawed those leg traps years ago.  Cruel and inhuman.  I will come shoot him for you.

@Imaoldhippie 

I'll meet you there with my gun, between the 2 of us, we can't miss!

DH will bring his too, it's capable of stopping a bear!

@KingstonsMom  I'll join you and bring mine.... Here in MD the law is not to my liking, should be completely illegal!  "It is illegal to set or maintain any foothold, body-gripping or snare trap within 150 yards of a permanent human residence with the following exceptions: These traps can be used on state, federal or private wetlands."

Esteemed Contributor

I walk my dog in a wooded area near my home. Early January 

I was stopped or should say hollered to by a man also in the

woods. He told me to be careful because he has out coyote traps

because the coyotes, which I didn't know any were even in this area

are attacking and killing too many deer.

O.k. I thought, thanks for the warning, but how does he know that 

he is ONLY going to trap a coyote?

Any poor animal can get hurt by this stupid nonsense. It should

be stopped!

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

The woman from the animal shelter just left with the poor thing. DD said the lady took one look and was swearing like a sailor. This is the 5 cat they have had caught in traps.

They are headed to vet's. Then they have folks who will foster him/her. 

The woman will do a Facebook live regarding traps and they will do something to raise the money for his care.

DD was funny waiting for them. She got a large Ikea bag and looked on their website for what they needed.  She kept saying "do you care if I give them........" No, I don't care. Whatever they need.

She had 2 rolls of paper towels. 2 rolls of TP (it was on the list), 20 pairs of disposable gloves, 3 reams of copy paper (again on the list), mircofiber clothes, a blanket, and pillow cases. Plus the dog crate and cat litter and donation.

We are very grateful for these people.  At least the cat has a chance now.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  And all of us are grateful for people like you.  Many of us help and rescue ferals and wildlife, injured and/or in need....I have done it my entire life and nothing will stop me from helping and looking out for these innocents.  Your DD learned from you how to be a complete and generous human being....stay that way.

Some of us do not use Facebook and will not get access to the rescuer's donation plea...if you get information on that please post it here for those of us who would like to donate to the care of this injured kitty!  Thanks for being there....

Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove  The place that came for the cat was Griffin Pond Animal Shelter. I believe it's in Clarks Summit,PA.  Not our county. They have a website to donate and a public Facebook page where anyone can go on.

There are pics of the poor thing.  The woman took pics when they came. He/she is black. 

DD had called our vet and they called a cat rescue.  I think it was beyond their capability (the trap part) and then they called Griffin Pond.

I will keep everyone updated.  

Honored Contributor

I second reporting him to the humane society. They were created for things like this.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Report the circumstances to the humane society.

Report the conditions of the property to the Board of Health.

If you hear gun shots report the shots to the police, and they should investigate the area.

You need not mention his name and do not want your identity known.

Do not let him bully you, which is impossible. People like that get away with cruelty because other people are afraid of them and that is what they feed on. Anyone who hurts an animal will be capable of hurting a human. Someway they need to be stopped.

Honored Contributor

@threecees   We have a similar problem here with people setting traps in the foothills of the Sandia Mts right on the Eastern edge of Albuquerque.  There are lots of trails where people walk their dogs, and many let them off leash.  This is a bad idea due to lots of cactus and rattle snakes.  It's not uncommon for a dog to step on a trap.

Traps are definitely not illegal unless by local ordinance.  There are people who earn their living by trapping.  The bad man may have a rat problem and if he's on his own property, he can do as he wishes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Have you ever talked to this neighbor?  Ever?  

Keepin' it real.