Respected Contributor

I love Rascal Flatts but oy, they sound terrible

on the Today show. I've noticed before that they don't sound too swift live on TV but I've seen them live many times and they sounded good. Maybe when they are on tour they have more control over their sound/mix. 

Still love 'em. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I love Rascal Flatts but oy, they sound terrible

I'm assuming they were singing outside? 

My DH is in a band (not even close to the level of RF though LOL) and they hate when they have to play outside.  It's very hard to control the sound when you are out in the wide open like that.

Super Contributor

It's hard to imagine that Rascal Flatts would ever sound bad, but I guess everyone has an off day. Sometimes in large settings, the music can be hard to hear and it can cause problems, too.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

Yes, they sang in studio on Hoda & Kathie Lee and even though I love them and especially loved the song they sang they were soooo flat!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I watched Alabama when they were on the Q recently and they don't sound the same in a studio without all the sound mixers.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

Yes, that happens sometimes when the acoustics are not conducive to the instruments & voices.  Doesn't stop any of us from enjoying our favorite performers, though, does it?  :-)  :-)

Respected Contributor

This reminds me. I saw Leann Rimes not too long ago do an acoustic concert. Let me tell you, her voice is amazing. She gets a lot of flack and people act like she can't sing anymore. They are so wrong. Like her personal life or hate her, but she is one talented woman. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about Rascal Flatts because I don't really listen to their music, but if they were off key, it may be that their studio recordings use auto tune. You'd be surprised how many big time singers rely on auto tune and voice/sound enhancements to produce a record. It kind of makes you wonder how they got to where they did in the first place. You know a true vocalist because they are the ones who change up the performance each time they sing one of their songs, and they never crack a flat note.  They are few and far between. That's why people like Britney Speaars fall back on lip synching in live performances. They can't do it otherwise.

Honored Contributor

I just barely know who Rascal Flatts is.  But  I had to post to say I loved your thread title!  :

Respected Contributor

I guess every band can have a performance where they are off.  I don't really listen to them but I have seen them on some awards shows where I thought they sounded a little off.  It happens.