Respected Contributor

Re: I'll never understand how anyone could forget a child in a car seat?

An interesting article on this topic:

Hot Car Deaths -- CNN

It explains a bit about memory systems in the brain and how they can fail, sometimes with tragic consequences.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mom2four wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

Don't people interact with their children?  When my kids were little,even babies I was always talking to them or singing to them while we drove.  Glancing at them in the rearview mirror,too.  When you do that it's hard to forget you have another person with you!  Alot of people are so self involved it's sick.  I hope he gets the max.

Sadly, not much these days. Look around- how many parents are actually interacting with their kids versus staring at their phone, texting? In cars now, they give them the phones to play with or there are tvs on the back of the head rests to keep the kids entertained. I don't blame the technology, I blame those that overuse it or use it in place of one-on-one interactions.

How could you possibly know that "most" parents don't interact with their children??  

She didn't say "most" parents. 

Thank you for pointing that out to me.  "Sadly, not much these days"  means the same thing as "most".

spin away...

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This guy had just had his child out of that car at a fast food restaurant then drove a very, very short distance to work.  It was only a few minutes before he was at work and "forget" this kid in the car.

Not buying this story at all. 

ITA.  And he even "remembered" to go check his car at lunchtime.  And still didn't notice his child dying in the back seat?  (Or was he just checking to make sure the child couldn't be revived?)

Not buying this story either.  Especially when you hear the things he said in some of his sexting about needing an escape.

I'm sure there are tragic accidents.  I don't believe for one second that this was one of them.  I think he had it planned very well, right up to where he created a great scene of "What have I done?  What have I done?" and looking distraught.  (Making sure there were plenty of witnesses, of course.)

It really chapped my hide when one of the police officers said that when they had this guy in the back of their police car and were asking him questions, he COMPLAINED about how hot it was in the car.

OMG you just roasted your child in a car, intentional or not and YOU have the nerve to complain?  I don't know how that cop didn't strangle him right then and there.  That made me sick.  

Better yet, roll up the windows, lock the doors, and go have dinner.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I remember this case...I often wondered if he knew there was a chance the

child was not his. He seemed so calous....

Respected Contributor

One of the first times I took my newborn daughter out in the car, I walked away and left her there!

It was in my driveway, and I had gone to the grocery store.  I ran in the house with a few bags, and in the kitchen, I remembered she was out there.

So it was maybe 1-2 minutes, but I was appalled.  My brain wasn't on all cylinders from being so tired, and it was new to me to have to account for her.

I ran out of the house shaking and grabbed her out of the carseat. 

As to this current case, it's hard to believe he didn't remember a short time in.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: WelRe: I'll never understand how anyone could forget a child in a car seat?

@gidgetgh wrote:

This happened in my county. They moved the trial to South Georgia because they couldn't get enough impartial jurors here, but while it was still here and they were trying to pick jurors, I was soooooooo glad i wasn't  in that jury pool. 

@gidgetgh

Not me! I would love to sit on that jury. I have been in several top positions where my decision was the only one that matters, including being the Foreman on 6 different Jury Panels.

I have made decisions for several groups I have headed that has effected thousands of people. Most people I have spoken with, face to face, that tell me "I don't ever want to sit on a jury"? These people, many I know well, do not like to be the one to make a decision, even within a group.

Why, my conclusion is this. They do not want to be responsible for the outcome of much of anything, much less something as serious that effects an alleged murder. 

These same type of people also are more concerned about "what will others think of me"? For me I say, I don't give a rats behind what anyone thinks of me, or my decisions". I don't make important decisions on a whim, I get all the info and feedback posible, and then make my decision.

Maybe you have already sat on a jury, and if so, good for you. Why you would be "soooooooo glad" you were not in that jury pool, reminds me of the people I mentioned above. That is the only conclusion(not a judgement) I can think of for anyone making that statement.

Many complain about laws and other things connected to their community, or government, yet when it comes time to actually participate?  No thank you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

This happened in my county. They moved the trial to South Georgia because they couldn't get enough impartial jurors here, but while it was still here and they were trying to pick jurors, I was soooooooo glad i wasn't  in that jury pool. 

@gidgetgh

Not me! I would love to sit on that jury. I have been in several top positions where my decision was the only one that matters, including being the Foreman on 6 different Jury Panels.

I have made decisions for several groups I have headed that has effected thousands of people. Most people I have spoken with, face to face, that tell me "I don't ever want to sit on a jury"? These people, many I know well, do not like to be the one to make a decision, even within a group.

Why, my conclusion is this. They do not want to be responsible for the outcome of much of anything, much less something as serious that effects an alleged murder. 

These same type of people also are more concerned about "what will others think of me"? For me I say, I don't give a rats behind what anyone thinks of me, or my decisions". I don't make important decisions on a whim, I get all the info and feedback posible, and then make my decision.

Maybe you have already sat on a jury, and if so, good for you. Why you would be "soooooooo glad" you were not in that jury pool, reminds me of the people I mentioned above. That is the only conclusion(not a judgement) I can think of for anyone making that statement.

Many complain about laws and other things connected to their community, or government, yet when it comes time to actually participate?  No thank you.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut- I've been on a jury before. I'm happy to serve. Feel free to summon me just about any time.  But a murder trial for a toddler that we heard about on our local news day after day for weeks when it happened?  A little innocent boy who died captive in a car in the Heat?  No thanks. Too heartbreaking. I've been through enough heartbreak this year.  I couldn't handle it. 

Plus, they wouldn't have taken me. My mind was already made up on this case. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Re: KKRe: I'll never understand how anyone could forget a child in a car seat?

This story makes me so  sick, I can't look at him when it comes across the news. I change the channel.

Esteemed Contributor

I do think that most of the time it is a horrible mistake. With this man and this case, I think he meant to do it. I remember reading about this one before and the facts about this particular case and most involved believed he meant to do this.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote: 

@hckynut- I've been on a jury before. I'm happy to serve. Feel free to summon me just about any time.  But a murder trial for a toddler that we heard about on our local news day after day for weeks when it happened?  A little innocent boy who died captive in a car in the Heat?  No thanks. Too heartbreaking. I've been through enough heartbreak this year.  I couldn't handle it. 

Plus, they wouldn't have taken me. My mind was already made up on this case. 

@gidgetgh

Spoiler

You obviously are made up much differently than myself. I heard and watched about this case, but I am not close to where it occurred. For me, it would not make any difference in regards to those issues. I certainly would be honest during the Voir Dire if I felt I had already reached a conclusion of guilt or innocence.

While I have said in this thread, "I ain't buying excuses", that would not mean I would be incapable of listening and interpreting the facts as given by witnesses and their attornies.

To me all loss of life of innocents, especially the most vulnerable of them all, the elderly and the very young, is a tragedy. I would like to think all matured adults would feel the same. That said, someone has to sit on juries, regardless of things going on in their own lives. 

Since you have been empaneled on a jury you understand that anyone can asked to be excused. In my area if a person is over 65 and they get a "Notice to Appear", they have the option of declining, and also being removed from both of the jury panel lists.

I appreciate your reply.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)