Esteemed Contributor

Re: I know I should be grateful but Really,,,,,?!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

@pggoody  I have never swept in my house. I always vacuum. I've felt that by sweeping it causes allergens to get in the air, plus stuff gets lodged around the baseboards. Just the way I do it. Dh does nothing, so..............

Cute Butterfly Graphic

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

As the one that chooses what brands at what price and purchases these cleaning items/machines, I will say this. I do a very large majority of the cleaning in our home, and I have done so for many decades now.

In the over 45 years that my wife and I have been together, I have never heard he say anything negative about the way I clean. She has said many times "how do you make things look almost like brand new"?  Will keep doing the same until I am unable to physically do so.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut-

WEll, you must be the kind of cleaning husband we all wish we had!Woman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It's like a math problem. Do you care that he got the right answer or do you need him to show you the work so he got to the answer the way you wanted?

As long as the answer is right and your floor is clean, I don't think it matters if he did it your way or not.

Now this one might bother me: "He's also known to clean the bathroom floor with the same rag he wipes the sink with."

What happens to the rag afterward? If it goes in the wash, I wouldn't care. If it just gets used to wipe the sink again I still wouldn't care. I'm not eating lunch out of the sink, so I don't care if the rag used to wipe the floor was also used to get toothpaste out of the sink. If it goes on the towel bar to dry resting on top of my bath towel, then I'd be super mad.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

As the one that chooses what brands at what price and purchases these cleaning items/machines, I will say this. I do a very large majority of the cleaning in our home, and I have done so for many decades now.

In the over 45 years that my wife and I have been together, I have never heard he say anything negative about the way I clean. She has said many times "how do you make things look almost like brand new"?  Will keep doing the same until I am unable to physically do so.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut,John, you're such a dream, where did she ever find you?

Respected Contributor

@pggoody wrote:

I've been home from work ( cold/virus) the past few days and have posted and enjoyed reading the replies....... Thought I would get your thoughts on something else. I know it might sound trivial but here goes.......

When you swift/ and or sweep your floors , do you make systematic piles  so as not to drag the debris from one part of the room to another.?  I do and my DH does not.  He drags the crumbs from the kitchen across the family room floor or vice versa  to make one pile.     We have hard wood floors in the family room and ceramic in the kitchen.   Our sweet little four legged daughter sheds so the couch and floors get cleaned every morning.   I tell him he is dragging hair and debris across the rooms and it's easier and quicker to make piles in a couple areas and vacuum up as you go. He says he  repeats the process several times so he'll get everything eventually .  We have a central vacuum so it's pretty easy to sweep up and vacuum in sections.   I keep my mouth shut if I'm home and he's helping, but it annoys me   He is retires and I am not, so he will sometimes offer to help out a bit. It's one of those cases where I welcome the help but.........  He's also known to clean the bathroom floor with the same rag he wipes the sink with.😱....rests the dirty broom and swifter on the living room or family room Pottery Barn rugs😁  Sometimes just easier to do it yourself. 😜

My question to you is, what makes you think your way is the right way?  Women who have that attitude usually find themselves doing all of the work because when others help, it isn't good enough.  If you ever said anything to me after I cleaned, I'd never help again. 

Honored Contributor

I think that if you are fussy about the way you keep house (and I am), anyone doing things differently sets you on edge a little. And I do understand. It doesn't mean we aren't grateful for the help, or that it isn't getting done 'right' (eventually!!) when someone else just approaches it differently, but it is hard to watch sometimes.

I tend to think through (in great detail) the things I do, especially those daily chores. I do them the way I do for a reason, usually efficiency or being thorough. For example, if I clean a bathroom, there are steps, and certain things get a clean rag, so as not to spread bacteria and germs. Someone else may do it differently, with no thought to what they are spreading. And I suppose in the long run, if no one gets sick or dies from it, we have to accept that we cannot micro manage what others are doing, or we will have to do it all ourselves.

But I do get your frustration. Those brooms or swifters on the rugs would drive me nuts! I get you!

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby's idea of clean and mine are too different.....and after he sucked the sheers into the vaccum....I just prefer to do the cleaning myself and we are both happy with it that way.....

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@pggoody wrote:

I've been home from work ( cold/virus) the past few days and have posted and enjoyed reading the replies....... Thought I would get your thoughts on something else. I know it might sound trivial but here goes.......

When you swift/ and or sweep your floors , do you make systematic piles  so as not to drag the debris from one part of the room to another.?  I do and my DH does not.  He drags the crumbs from the kitchen across the family room floor or vice versa  to make one pile.     We have hard wood floors in the family room and ceramic in the kitchen.   Our sweet little four legged daughter sheds so the couch and floors get cleaned every morning.   I tell him he is dragging hair and debris across the rooms and it's easier and quicker to make piles in a couple areas and vacuum up as you go. He says he  repeats the process several times so he'll get everything eventually .  We have a central vacuum so it's pretty easy to sweep up and vacuum in sections.   I keep my mouth shut if I'm home and he's helping, but it annoys me   He is retires and I am not, so he will sometimes offer to help out a bit. It's one of those cases where I welcome the help but.........  He's also known to clean the bathroom floor with the same rag he wipes the sink with.😱....rests the dirty broom and swifter on the living room or family room Pottery Barn rugs😁  Sometimes just easier to do it yourself. 😜

My question to you is, what makes you think your way is the right way?  Women who have that attitude usually find themselves doing all of the work because when others help, it isn't good enough.  If you ever said anything to me after I cleaned, I'd never help again. 

@glb613

Gee, why so harsh.

OP admits she is grateful for the help. She doesn't rag her husband about it, but may have stated her reasons for doing what she does, and she has very good reasons for the way she does things. Efficiency and being sanitary are important in house cleaning. Doing certain things the wrong way can actually make people sick, and if it isn't one's normal 'job' to say...clean the bathroom...they may never have thought what is safe to do in regards to the order in which things are washed/wiped up in that room. Similar to those that might not know how important it is to sanitize surfaces/tools that have had raw meat on them, before using them for other food prep.

At any rate, coming here to post something that frustrates you like this isn't reason to chastise someone, especially when they have noted they are grateful.

Honored Contributor

You need to get back to work.   You've had too much time to sit around and think.   It's counter productive. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment