Honored Contributor

Re: I am shocked and saddened, Patty Duke passed away

Noel7 wrote:

Drinking too much water can cause death.

Being bi-polar or having someone in the family who is bi-polar is a terrible burden.  People search for years for the right cocktail of drugs to help them control their suffering.

Many don't get there and try self-medication leading to addiction.  Others choose suicide as a way out. 

Thank God there are some medications to help.

Boy, lemme tell ya!    

The first friend I had who had a severe case of bipolar (he totally leaned to mania) had such an extreme situation that they just couldn't get his meds right.   It was a constant struggle with trips to the mental hospital and long stays...many different attempts at getting his meds right.

His life was so constantly volatile.   Like a friend, I kept thinking I could help him and soon realized that I could not help him.  I tried to just be there for him and be his friend.   I really allowed myself to be dragged down terribly with the constant state of volatility.  It was the last time I attrempted suicide, as I had fallen so far being in his orbit.  I ended up having to back away.   I guess it may go without saying, at least for me at this point, that somebody with PTSD and severe clinical depression is non-compatible with somebody with severe bipolar.   I felt badly about it but sometimes it ends up being either survive or get taken down!

Trusted Contributor

I have a question.   Wondering why she couldn't be helped? I mean, does anyone know if she was treated in time would she have been ok?   I loved the Patty Duke Show.   She was so young.  

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

Patty Duke has lived in the Coeur d Alene/Hayden ID, area for many years. It's a beautiful area, in the Idaho Panhandle. CDA is  a lovely smaller city just under 50,000.  It's built on the shores of Coeur d Alene  lake the  second largest lake in Idaho. It's a great resort area.

Patty was very active in the Coeur d Alene  community, and  certainly, beloved there.

A talented actress and lovely person may she rest in peace! 

I've been to Coeur d'Alene, it is beautiful.

Yes, it's a beautiful place. I've lived in Spokane, most of my life.  I have a lot of great memories of Summertime visits to CDA, with my family. Every Summer, I'm still jealous of people living there, with the big lake as their backyard!  

I always got got the impression Patty loved the area, and found peace living there. 

Honored Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

I have a question.   Wondering why she couldn't be helped? I mean, does anyone know if she was treated in time would she have been ok?   I loved the Patty Duke Show.   She was so young.  

@newjersey

She was having trouble when she was a young woman, maybe before that.  That would have been close to fifty years ago when not much was known about mental illness and medications available now weren't around then.

She seems to have fared better later on in years, so I suspect she availed herself of modern medicine and psychotherapy.

There is no cure for bi-polar and it can be known to run in families.  I've read that her mother also suffered from mental illness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many years ago I read that she and John Astin divorced because he couldn't deal with her manic/depressive episodes. Astin was Gomez on The Addams Family back in the 60's.

She truly loved him and was quite sad when they did divorce.

We know so much more now about heredity and chemical imbalances in the brain causing certain types of mental illness.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I'm talking about her death - couldn't she have been treated for the ruptured intestine?  Thanks!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I remember seeing patty on tv talk shows.talking about her mental iilness,several times, when she spoke of it you just were so caught up with what she was saying, she told how hard it was on her loved ones.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newjersey wrote:

I'm talking about her death - couldn't she have been treated for the ruptured intestine?  Thanks!Smiley Happy

I 'm sure they did.It effects your organs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

A ruptured intestine even when treated and operated on can lead to serious infection (sepsis) which can cause death. One of my parents died from sepsis. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

That's so sad.

Like I said before, late-60/early 70s 

is becoming the new 90s.  

Sepsis:  

Wonder what the underlying cause was.

Was she recently in an accident which cause the ruptured intestine?

@sidsmom  I just read that she had stomach pain and was diagnosed in 2014.  No more information that I could find.