Respected Contributor

Re: I am not a Happy Camper right now.

@AngusandBuddhasMom I totally agree with you...except it's more a matter of how HD has marketed themselves as a retailer to homeowners.  IMO allowing individuals to purchase those types of materials for themselves obligates HD to be very clear about what the homeowner can expect if it's different from what a reasonable person would interpret their verbiage to mean (e.g., "will deliver to your curb.")  I also agree with you that the vagueness is likely on purpose.

Respected Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom I totally agree with you...except it's more a matter of how HD has marketed themselves as a retailer to homeowners.  IMO allowing individuals to purchase those types of materials for themselves obligates HD to be very clear about what the homeowner can expect if it's different from what a reasonable person would interpret their verbiage to mean (e.g., "will deliver to your curb.")  I also agree with you that the vagueness is likely on purpose.

@WenGirl42 I totally agree with you on how HD markets themselves. I am surprised how they are allowed to get away with it. A lot of homeowners get a shock because you would think the delivery includes coming off the truck. 

My family's business specifys to the homeowner exactly what is entailed if they are having pavers delivered and if they are not installing. So you would think a huge chain store would have to follow the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I just went to the Home Depot website, and I put some pavers in to my shopping cart.

On the page where you enter your name, email adress, phone number, street address, & credit card info, to the side, it shows your total.

Right where it shows the total price, it says, that they will deliver "to your curb or the receiving area of your job site".

@Plaid Pants2 That's what the OP said she expected...that the stone would be delivered to her curb.  Don't you interpret that to mean that they would take the stone off the truck and drop it at the curb?  I certainly do.  To me, "Delivered to my curb" doesn't mean they back the truck up to the end of my drive, and I have to climb on and get the stone out myself.

@WenGirl42 while I understand your point. You are looking at HD as a regular store. This is a store for contracters first homeowner second. A big ticket item like pavers would be to HD something that is delivered to a site that a contracter will have someone there to help unload. So they asked if someone is there to help unload. I think they are purposley gray in the area of unloading as they don't want full responsibilty with a homeowner.

My family owns a gardencenter and does landscape and paver installation. So if they are doing a paver drop off without installation, they will build into the price the cost of unloading the pavers. As it is a heavy item that needs more then one person plus a bobcat to move them.

Well, the delivery is late.. no one is here yet.

I don't see HD as a contractor'splace.  The are a store catering to homeowners.  They even run commercials on TV for home owners.  They have videos on their website showing homeowners how to install the pavers by themselves.

My son is a HVAC Technician and he would never in a million years purchase plumbing supplies at HD as he said they carry junk, especially the water heaters. Contractors get their supplies whole sale at places where homeowners can't purchase.

On the flip side of the coin, HD is not doing the delivery.  They have an independent freight company doing the delivery, so it is the freight company's responsibility to deliver to the curb, not drive to the curb.  I paid for delivery, so they better deliver.

The dispatcher did not say the driver would not unload, she said he would need help maneuvering the stone... whatever that means.

I am not too happy about staying home all day to wait for a delivery between 11 and 2 who are already more than an hour late.,, with no phone call.

Esteemed Contributor

Something sounds off here!! I would call the store ASAP & speak to the manager.I would tell him what happened & insist that they arrange for another company to make the delivery.Even if it means delaying it a few days. They should absorb any additional costs this may incur!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Something sounds off here!! I would call the store ASAP & speak to the manager.I would tell him what happened & insist that they arrange for another company to make the delivery.Even if it means delaying it a few days. They should absorb any additional costs this may incur!!

I don't think that can happen.  The delivery is not from the store to my home.  It is from a distribution center located in a different state.  It has already been loaded and is out for local delivery.  I didn't purchase it from the local store because it is only available on line from their webpage.

It just didn't get to my house yet..., already 2.5 hours late, and my DH is home now.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie, were the pavers delivered? Details when you have time.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kcladyz wrote:

I never even heard of them. Are they a small mom/pop store? i woulf go with a national chain

Oh my....That's not the name of the store, she just didn't want to say the real name...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I just went to the Home Depot website, and I put some pavers in to my shopping cart.

On the page where you enter your name, email adress, phone number, street address, & credit card info, to the side, it shows your total.

Right where it shows the total price, it says, that they will deliver "to your curb or the receiving area of your job site".

@Plaid Pants2 That's what the OP said she expected...that the stone would be delivered to her curb.  Don't you interpret that to mean that they would take the stone off the truck and drop it at the curb?  I certainly do.  To me, "Delivered to my curb" doesn't mean they back the truck up to the end of my drive, and I have to climb on and get the stone out myself.

@WenGirl42 while I understand your point. You are looking at HD as a regular store. This is a store for contracters first homeowner second. A big ticket item like pavers would be to HD something that is delivered to a site that a contracter will have someone there to help unload. So they asked if someone is there to help unload. I think they are purposley gray in the area of unloading as they don't want full responsibilty with a homeowner.

My family owns a gardencenter and does landscape and paver installation. So if they are doing a paver drop off without installation, they will build into the price the cost of unloading the pavers. As it is a heavy item that needs more then one person plus a bobcat to move them.

Well, the delivery is late.. no one is here yet.

I don't see HD as a contractor'splace.  The are a store catering to homeowners.  They even run commercials on TV for home owners.  They have videos on their website showing homeowners how to install the pavers by themselves.

My son is a HVAC Technician and he would never in a million years purchase plumbing supplies at HD as he said they carry junk, especially the water heaters. Contractors get their supplies whole sale at places where homeowners can't purchase.

On the flip side of the coin, HD is not doing the delivery.  They have an independent freight company doing the delivery, so it is the freight company's responsibility to deliver to the curb, not drive to the curb.  I paid for delivery, so they better deliver.

The dispatcher did not say the driver would not unload, she said he would need help maneuvering the stone... whatever that means.

I am not too happy about staying home all day to wait for a delivery between 11 and 2 who are already more than an hour late.,, with no phone call.

Well good luck with that.

Your not telling me anything new about contracters and wholesale. Too bad your son couldn't help you with the pavers. Usually contracters know other contracters from job sites and help each other out. At least that is what they do here.

JMO, I would never have gone to HD for pavers to begin with. But then again mine were installed by my family and we had no problem with delivery.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie

o I'd call the big box store and refuse to accept the delivery without proper delivery staff

o Go online and give them a bad rating on Better Business Bureau

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

Honored Contributor

Well, it is Wednesday and no pavers yet.  I called the freight company this morning and asked where they were.

Because they were so heavy, the driver took them back to the depot where they are supposed to be separated into two pallets so the delivery will be lighter.

Keeping my fingers crossed, they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow between 12 and 2.