Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Wish Posters Would Keep Horrible News Stories to Themselves!

Maybe posters who only want to read sweetness and light should ban themselves from the Community Forum.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've found that it's much easier for me to control my own actions than it is to force everyone else to conform to my own ideals.

If I see a thread title I think will upset me, I don't open the thread.

Honored Contributor

It is subjective to what is horrible or not.  For myself a horrible news story would also be any story about any of the Kardashian or their tribes or minions.  But some readers would love stories about all even if they are trimming their toenails.

I just stop reading if it does not interest me or it disgusts me as soon as I see what the thread is about.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

We are not childen.  We are adults who can choose want we want to see or not see.  Anyone that signs in here knows these stories come up and are allowed.  This is life.  The good....the bad....the ugly. 

Hopefully, this might be a story that will keep this from happening to another baby.  Maybe even someone on here who "overtrusts"  a friendly family pet.  Many things animals do....even well behaved ones.... is done from instinct.  Not enough animal owners understand that.

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Its not like we don't read our own local and national stories. I really don't understand why people feel the need to share awful, sad, never forget stories!

and adding-sometimes the way the forums are designed , just looking at the whole page you see the start of the post

and try to avoid just like changing the channel as fast as possible with those devastating animal abuse/rescue commercials.

Please-I think this is only considerate to fellow posters not to include these things.

You may want others to share your horror to lessen the pain but please don't.I never do tell my family or friends about sad news stories I've heard. We all hear enough!

Actually, a lot of threads are from DY's board and repeated here for those that are not members.  

Oh stop it. That's not even true. 

Honored Contributor

I don't necessarily wish posters would keep horrible stories to themselves.  I like when there is a warning and then you have the option of opening the thread or not. 

What is bothersome to me are "teaser" titles.  A thread titled:  This could be upsetting" or "guess what I saw today" or something along those lines is silly and IMO nothing more than a ploy for attention.  I can't be bothered with those.  Spit it out or don't start a thread.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Its not like we don't read our own local and national stories. I really don't understand why people feel the need to share awful, sad, never forget stories!

and adding-sometimes the way the forums are designed , just looking at the whole page you see the start of the post

and try to avoid just like changing the channel as fast as possible with those devastating animal abuse/rescue commercials.

Please-I think this is only considerate to fellow posters not to include these things.

You may want others to share your horror to lessen the pain but please don't.I never do tell my family or friends about sad news stories I've heard. We all hear enough!

Actually, a lot of threads are from DY's board and repeated here for those that are not members.  

Oh stop it. That's not even true. 

Clearly she isn't a member otherwise these lies would stop.

Respected Contributor

Not only that (topic line by OP) I haven't read all the replies...

But when something happens news wise - several rush right in here to post it first - like nobody has access to the internet or news..sometimes three people posting the same time/thing all trying to be the headliner.

Also, the posts announcing what this celeb or that one is doing..why? 

I often see everybody making comments about the Kardashians ..but they all seem to know the scoop on them and what they are up too..that is why they are what they are lol..

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack

@MaggieMack wrote:

Maybe posters who only want to read sweetness and light should ban themselves from the Community Forum.

^^^^^^

THIS.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

@Lyttlewyng wrote:

Granted, tragic stories are everywhere and not easy to avoid.
However,  we have some control over where we visit to avoid reading such stories.
A QVC forum is one of the least likely places I'd expect to see posters deliberately want to discuss awful news.   But to each his own. 

I agree. Discussing bad news and divisive topics on a shopping channel forum is  out-of-place, just as as it would be out-of-place on a cooking or interior design forum.

@Iwantcoffee

Obviously not, or the Mods would take them down.

Instead of you trying to make the rules for others, you could always find a Sweetness and Light board.