Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I SOUND LIKE MY MOTHER WHEN I SAY...

I don't!    Her favorite phrases were:   Comb your hair......Quit frowning..........and YOU STINK.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

"One of you is going to end up crying..."

Contributor

"you wait till your Dad gets home!!!

"It takes one to know one"

Daisy

Honored Contributor

Because I said so.

I would ask,"what are you making for supper Ma"? She would say food, and I would say what kind of food and she would say GOOD FOOD! I do the same thing to my son.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

"You should have thought of that first."

"If everyone else jumps off the bridge, are you going to follow?"

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

"You should have thought of that first."

"If everyone else jumps off the bridge, are you going to follow?"

Mine said "cliff", but yeah!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother spoke Yiddish (Jewish language) - which I don't speak. BUT - I say Jewish words to my dog, ie, I call her mammala (little mama); I never say paws to her - just footsala (little feet). 

I have male roomies - and they rarely wear a jacket (even at night) - and I'd say, "I think u should take ur jacket". They're in their 20s-30s. They just look at me funny.

A few years ago, one of my roomies was having problems with his girlfriend. I asked what his mother says about their relationship - and he said, "my mother never gets involved in my relationship". I said, "she needs to since u didn't have a dad to raise u". He put his head down - in shock. I then told him that he needs to break up with her - as she has major problems --- and he did. Afterward, I realized that's what my mother would have told me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing ventured...nothing gained....

Life's not fair

Make a decision and stick by it.....

Does he make your toes curl??  (when she asked me

in my younger years and her grandaughters

in their younger years if they met that special

someone!)

Valued Contributor

There were many-but the ones she continued to use until the day she ceased to be and I/we  say in my family required; walking fast, spitting, rubbing something, going poddy and clean "underpants."

Mom, I cant wear this it's wrinkled-

Walk fast no one will notice.

Mom I can't go I need a bath-

Spit on it, you'll be fine-walk fast, no one will notice-do you have clean "underpants" on?

Owww, owww, owww...I stubbed my toe-

Rub it-Rub it!

The all time favorite-

Mom, I have a stomach ache-

Go poddy!

Honored Contributor

Growing up I truly believed she did have eyes in the back of her head and that there was a secret room in our house where Christmas gifts were stored.  Even after the truth of Santa came out we still had the big items like a ping pong table laid out under the tree Christmas morning.  We still never could find anything, she was very good.  Finally as a parent myself being inventive to where to hide things I knew there was no secret room.

I also have found now I sound like her by not saying anything at all to my son.  When I started my own family I could tell when Mom was keeping her mouth closed and only listening sometimes.  I find myself doing the same thing with my mid-30's son.  I sometimes do not agree with his decisions and such but like my Mom I just listen while still be supportive quietly.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."