Respected Contributor

Advice to everyone:  always, always get the name of the person you talked to in person or on the phone.  Write down the time you called and the date.  It just takes a few seconds to do that and it can be very helpful.

Then make notes of your conversation and what they or you have to do next.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

can you do without the 400 until the billing gets straightened out?

Since you have gone to this doctor for many years, it seems right that they could wait for the 378, since a billing error happened thru the hospital.

You are obviously a good person trying to make good on what you owe.

I might add, from my experiences it seems that to wait to pay is always best. That way the individual knows who they are paying for what.

A credit report will always make allowances for Heath-related bills. Situations like this are the reason why (billing departments/insurance).  You should wait. Don't let them bully you about paying right away until they straighten out their part ❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

All my life I've never been asked to pay for anything "upfront" when I've gone to the hospital for anything, everything was always made clear before the procedure and if we owed anything, it was taken care of aftewards.  I've never had to pay any "large" amount upfront.    My insurance covers my mammograms unless I get the 3D one and then I do have to pay that "upfront".   When I go to the dentist and need a major procedure, like a crown, root canal, it is all made clear what my insurance will cover and what I have to pay, so I decide whether I want to do it and never had to pay until after the procedure was done.   If it's unclear to me what I may or may not owe I always wait until after it has been submitted to my insurance company or I call my insurance company and discuss it with them myself.  I know how hard it is to get money back, once you've paid it, and if I do pay it, I charge it.  

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Jordan2

can you do without the 400 until the billing gets straightened out?

Since you have gone to this doctor for many years, it seems right that they could wait for the 378, since a billing error happened thru the hospital.

You are obviously a good person trying to make good on what you owe.

I might add, from my experiences it seems that to wait to pay is always best. That way the individual knows who they are paying for what.

A credit report will always make allowances for Heath-related bills. Situations like this are the reason why (billing departments/insurance).  You should wait. Don't let them bully you about paying right away until they straighten out their part ❤️

@LTT1, this was the first time I had ever had to be admitted so I had no reference for it. I felt I had to give her something toward the deductible. She should have not asked me for any money as I later found out. As for the $400 yes I will miss it. I could pay maybe 3 bills with it. If it had been $100 not as big a deal. I'm just hoping the hospital doesn't drag this out. 

Regular Contributor

First I am so sorry this happened to you and I hope you get your money back.

I haven't read every post so someone may have mentioned it but I know that with MY (and only speaking for me) insurance, I have a deductible of $3000. I have to pay this before any insurance will kick in and pay. Then after I have met that $3000 deductible, my insurance pays 80% and I have to pay a 20% co-insurance payment until I reach the $12,000 threshold.  Then after that insurance pays 100%.

I personally have never got to the insurance paying 100%.

So my question is could that amount needing to be paid be a co-insurance payment?  Just because you reach the deductible doesn't mean you are done paying. I know that MANY insurance companies work this way but amounts differ.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2

I am actually trying to help, so I don't want to complicate.

The time I had a surgery at a day surgery hospital (5 years ago) the lady admitting me sat us down and explained portions of the cost and how they would be collected.

I THINK she made it clear that there was 500 remaining on my deductible but I THINK she said we would be getting a bill (EOB) for that amount. She may have collected it right then, I don't remember.

Next, she collected another portion.

I guess my point is that she set the cost out right then ahead of the procedure. And we paid by cc.

I should add too, that between the MD and the hospital, all of this was done with a pre-certification.

And the MD office set forth the billing, how it would work, and who I needed to call at the hospital for clarification of anesthesia bill, etc.

I agree, it is still confusing.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@CaryH wrote:

I haven't read every post so someone may have mentioned it but I know that with MY (and only speaking for me) insurance, I have a deductible of $3000. I have to pay this before any insurance will kick in and pay. Then after I have met that $3000 deductible, my insurance pays 80% and I have to pay a 20% co-insurance payment until I reach the $12,000 threshold.  Then after that insurance pays 100%.

So my question is could that amount needing to be paid be a co-insurance payment?  Just because you reach the deductible doesn't mean you are done paying. I know that MANY insurance companies work this way but amounts differ.

@CaryH, this was definitely not a copay, it was a deductible. At the time the woman in admitting took my insurance card, that was what was left of my $1000 deductible. But the hospital had no way of knowing if there were claims that hadn't been processed yet and were ahead of the hospital in line. The doctor filed shortly after the surgery, the hospital didn't file for three weeks after. I even went for a colonoscopy   in between! So to take money from me instead of billing me was a mistake on their part. The supervisor even told me she was sorry that I felt pressured to pay up front and I should have been billed. She told me in the future don't pay anything, have them bill me. 

Regular Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@CaryH wrote:

@CaryH, this was definitely not a copay, it was a deductible. At the time the woman in admitting took my insurance card, that was what was left of my $1000 deductible. But the hospital had no way of knowing if there were claims that hadn't been processed yet and were ahead of the hospital in line. The doctor filed shortly after the surgery, the hospital didn't file for three weeks after. I even went for a colonoscopy   in between! So to take money from me instead of billing me was a mistake on their part. The supervisor even told me she was sorry that I felt pressured to pay up front and I should have been billed. She told me in the future don't pay anything, have them bill me. 

First just to be clear, I did not say co-pay. A co-pay is different from co-insurance. It's all kinda complicated but they are different and many people don't understand the difference. (I'm not saying that is what you experienced)

My personal experience with my surgeries have been that I have had to pay some in advance as well right before I go into the surgery. It's always been seen by me as like a good faith payment like in real estate. I intend to complete paying for it all and then they bill me for the rest.

In my experience that's normal for our area.

And even though in your case you say the hospital didn't know about other claims not being processed. That may be so but if it is their policy to get payment they can only go with what they see at that moment on your account. If you overpay, then you get a refund. Period.

I got a refund from the hospital for my last surgery because this happened.

I personally just don't see an issue here. I understand you are upset because things may be different where you live and I am sorry for that. I hope you get back what you are owed.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

CARMIE wrote:  Insurance companies are not allowed to process claims in any other way than what was presented to them from the provider.

They need a corrected bill.  It is no longer possible for the insurance company to call the provider and get the information verbally.  They need a hard copy bill or a corrected bill submitted electronically.

I worked in Customer Service for an insurance co for over 25 years and things have changed due to HIPAA laws.

I am sure your packet of info was sent to CS where someone called the provider and insisted that they send a corrected bill.  There are CS reps who only handle "Presidential inquiries"

I would also bet that no positions were lost over this.  The error was made by your provider ...the store clerk, not your insurance company.

Regardless of the source of the problem, the error was unnecessarily 

prolonged by extremely poor customer service from the insurance company.  Whether positions were actually lost is of no interest to me, I merely relayed what I was told after the fact.

I have enough business acumen to have had no expectation of my packet of notes actually landing on the President's desk.  Furthermore, as long as the issue was properly addressed, I would not have cared if it had been re-directed to the company's janitorial department.

The point of my post was that in the interest of contractual obligation between us, expediency of good business practices, good will and customer service, it took entirely too much frustration, effort and time to resolve what should have been a simple and obvious issue. 

I don't understand why you think your insurance company provided poor customer service.  By law they could not fix or change the date on your bill.  The only way they could process the claim with the correct date was to have a corrected bill.

It really was not their responsibility to contact the provider just because you said the wrong date was on the bill.  The responsibility was YOURS.

As a kindness, I have many times over the years called a provider on behalf on the subscriber who called in to me.  I have found that sometimes the provider would not "correct" the bill and insisted they billed correctly or refused outright to send a corrected bill or advised they would send or fax me a corrected, but never did.

i often took over 100 calls a day and there was no time to follow up to get a corrected bill   If the provider  wasn't cooperative or down right disagreed with what the caller told me.

And sometimes, the provider was very cooperative and sent a corrected bill.

You have a right to be upset, and I feel your pain.  This type of thing has happened to me and my family members.  When it happens, I personally call the provider and ask them to  correct the bill or send a corrected claim.  They made the error and it's their responsibility to correct it.

It would have been be simple and more prudent for you to just call or go back to the clerk for a corrected bill.

Honored Contributor

@CaryH  Your story and mine are the same as to how hospitals and medical sites work regarding collecting money up front.

What angered me during one of these situations was I KNEW that the deductible had been met because I had the receipts/info from other tests and things but the facility had not yet billed my insurance. So technically, yes the deductible was met but because the paperwork wasn't filed (and wouldn't be for 6 months for some of them) I had to pay a specific amount up front and THEN WAIT to be reimbursed months (and I mean MONTHS later).  

My only wish is that they tell you this when you book everything NOT the day before you go in OR when you show up at the hospital. "That will be $1800, ma'am" as I checked in.

Right, I'll just pay that NO PROBLEM.

Please.