Honored Contributor

I Need Suggestions for New Ideas!

I love books, cooking, home decorating, tea, dishes, uplifting and encouraging people that are happy for others, and such things!  I DO NOT like politics and discussions about current affairs or people complaining all the time.

I am looking for some new outlets to share these interests and would like any ideas and suggestions you might have for places to read or share ideas either. 

THANKS!

Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Suggestions for New Ideas!

Does Martha Stewart or Paula Deen have websites or FB places?. They might have  a chat board

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Does Martha Stewart or Paula Deen have websites or FB places?. They might have  a chat board

Good ideas!  I also thought of people like Susan Branch.  Haven't looked yet.  

Respected Contributor

I find my family and friends a daily joy. I have a wide variety of interests, too, and I have somehow ended up with very different friends-- a history friend, a music friend, etc.

Honored Contributor

In social situations my friends and I just do not discuss politics.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views.  I think many people judge intelligence by this so it is just better left alone.  

Honored Contributor

Maybe HGTV, or Houzz has a chat board. I love Houzz's web site-you can spend the whole day on there browsing.......

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner. I agree with you.  In this day and age I have no answer for you as I have the same problem.   Probably the best part of retirement is being able to remove myself when discussions turn ugly on any topic.  Everyone has a hard day or problems with a family member or political concerns and that is understood but we do not have to allow a discussion to become mean, nasty and shouting at each other. Years ago a small local church has a Tues AM mother's book club.  They hired a baby sitter for the nursery.  We all paid 50cents per hour per child.  Each week we chose a book to read and discuss the next week.  We car pooled for the few who did not drive.  We took turns bringing home made snacks.  The church paid all extras.  It gave us a chance to talk to an adult and the best part is our child got to interact and learn to share at a time there was no pre-K.  I have so many reasons why deciding to be a stay at home mom was right for our family.  My husband was the one who suggested that idea if I wanted to do it.  Maybe you could find or start a group of your liking in your area.  I don't know your age but senior centers have them.  Our local BOCES has day and night courses in many of those areas and they are not expensive.  Your local library might have groups as well or know of some.  Have fun and enjoy.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner, do you know there is a "Book Club" Forum on here. I read it more in the winter, when I might be inside and reading and looking for suggestions. You may know about it, ???

But to get out of the house, library's have book clubs too. You can discuss at meetings there a book(s) others have read and they even do discussions.

Don't forget to visit "Pinterest"

Valued Contributor

For reading and visual pleasure (ideas) there is a great online magazine.  Search for "Coty Farquhar" it is Styling magazine and you can look at the past issues and even subscribe to have it delivered to your inbox.  It goes on forever and is the most beautiful magazine.  Through reading there you will discover many other sources of interest. 

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@Sooner. I agree with you.  In this day and age I have no answer for you as I have the same problem.   Probably the best part of retirement is being able to remove myself when discussions turn ugly on any topic.  Everyone has a hard day or problems with a family member or political concerns and that is understood but we do not have to allow a discussion to become mean, nasty and shouting at each other. Years ago a small local church has a Tues AM mother's book club.  They hired a baby sitter for the nursery.  We all paid 50cents per hour per child.  Each week we chose a book to read and discuss the next week.  We car pooled for the few who did not drive.  We took turns bringing home made snacks.  The church paid all extras.  It gave us a chance to talk to an adult and the best part is our child got to interact and learn to share at a time there was no pre-K.  I have so many reasons why deciding to be a stay at home mom was right for our family.  My husband was the one who suggested that idea if I wanted to do it.  Maybe you could find or start a group of your liking in your area.  I don't know your age but senior centers have them.  Our local BOCES has day and night courses in many of those areas and they are not expensive.  Your local library might have groups as well or know of some.  Have fun and enjoy.  Good luck.

I have a book group I've been in since 1980, so "real life" is fine.  I am  just looking for some other internet site to spend a little time when I am between chores, not feeling well, or on days that are sort of slow but I'm not going out.   Thanks for your suggestions though.