Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Suggestions for New Ideas!

@Sooner

You may have noticed that I am a "picture person."

I post with a group in "Among Friends."

The interests are many, and besides uplifting and supporting, this strand loves to share love of the outdoors and homey pictures.

So, we would love to have you there.

Facebook and Pinterest allow for sharing of posts and pictures without the complications of manipulating pictures.

Many think that FB is simply a social network,  but the fact is that almost any interest one has (such as a book group) can be found there and kept entirely private. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I love books, cooking, home decorating, tea, dishes, uplifting and encouraging people that are happy for others, and such things!  I DO NOT like politics and discussions about current affairs or people complaining all the time.

I am looking for some new outlets to share these interests and would like any ideas and suggestions you might have for places to read or share ideas either. 

THANKS!

Facebook has LOADS of groups for hobbies, fandoms, etc. I'm in quite a few speciality groups and haven't noticed politics sneaking into any of the non-political groups I'm in. Just enter something you're interested in into the search bar and see which groups come up.

Most groups have a Join button and once you click that, a request is sent to the moderator(s), who I find usually add people without too many questions. Once you're in, you should be able to read the group posts and see if you think the group is a good fit for you. If it's not or you change your mind at any point, just find the Joined button at the top of the page place your mouse cursor over it to get the option to Leave any group you've joined.

Honored Contributor

Oh, you should also check out your local library, bookstores, craft shops and community centers to see what kinds of things they offer.

My local library offers free classes in computers, a weekly tea where you can discuss books, resume workshops, and all kinds of other classes. The local bookstores offer many book clubs that meet monthly as well as free author talks and signings. My mom is involved with her local community center and has taken painting and quilting classes there for the last 30 years.

Craft stores offer all kinds of classes. I've been to knitting classes, beading classes, and more. I know some of the big box craft stores have classes, but check smaller local shops, too. Most local yarn shops also have places where people just come in and knit with others.

You might also want to look into local volunteer opportunities to connect with people who share similar interests and ideas. I've met a lot of great people volunteering for the local NPR and PBS stations. I'm a deputized voter registrar in Texas, which means I also get invited to all kinds of festivals to register voters. I've been invited to big parades, outdoor music festivals, and small block parties all over town and all I have to do is help people fill out a form and make sure I get the form turned into the county tax assessor within the same week. And if people try to engage me in partisan politics, I tell them that I must be non-partisan and impartial in fulfilling my duties as a registrar, which steers the conversation away from voting for this or that and just keeps it about the importance of civic engagement.

Honored Contributor

Just to clarify what I said (I usuall need to clarify what I say!  LOL!!!):  What I want is internet blogs or forums NOT real life which I already have taken care of,  and NOT facebook.  I find Facebook is a medium that just doesn't appeal to me. I just want to read mostly about things people are doing, or maybe would be interested in a low key bulletin board.

I have plenty of real-life things, just want some places to spend some leisure time at home on a rainy day or at night when I don't watch tv and don't feel like concentrating on a story to read!  Just some internet fluff time is really what I am looking for.

I love this site and have many friends here, but it is becoming too tedious to be here often.  The meanies run the place now, while people who don't cause ill will get dinged.  I'm sick of the same people who insite trouble for the rest of us and then cry "foul".  So I need other nice sites to look at.  So many say mean things time after time and belittle people then when someone finally snaps back, the instigator cries about it and the person they goaded gets deleted and scolded.  

And thanks for any an all suggestions!

Honored Contributor

I follow several blogs on topics that interest me.  There are oodles of cooking ones.

Honored Contributor

I hear ya, Sooner!  I've been backing away from this board more and more lately, for a few reasons.

I do hang out at other boards, that I have frequented for many years, but I'd never feel good about posting them here.  I like that I can have intellectual conversations, conversations about all kinds of subjects, with grown ups who don't feel like they should krap on everything.  Most of the people here are good, and I've been here for over 12 years  but I'm just about over it.

I think there is still one of the hate boards that is peripheral to this one but that's not my thing, either.

I hope you find places that are pleasing to you and the things you like to discuss.  I imagine you and I probably disagree on many things, but I have great respect and like for you, my friend!  Heart 

Regular Contributor

Someone else mentioned Houzz which has a ton of different forums on it,  you go to houzz . com then "advice" on the right side of the page.  City data has a ton of forums as well.  if you are in to certain tv shows or movies IMDB has great message boards for each individual show.  Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I hear ya, Sooner!  I've been backing away from this board more and more lately, for a few reasons.

I do hang out at other boards, that I have frequented for many years, but I'd never feel good about posting them here.  I like that I can have intellectual conversations, conversations about all kinds of subjects, with grown ups who don't feel like they should krap on everything.  Most of the people here are good, and I've been here for over 12 years  but I'm just about over it.

I think there is still one of the hate boards that is peripheral to this one but that's not my thing, either.

I hope you find places that are pleasing to you and the things you like to discuss.  I imagine you and I probably disagree on many things, but I have great respect and like for you, my friend!  Heart 

Other than SOUP I can't think of a thing!  LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Every once in a while I get entangled in some controversial thread or another on this forum, but otherwise I think I've done well with my internal "ignore button."  I come here mostly for "fashion chat"...it's really the only board I've found that satisfies that need (I'm not on any other social media and don't want to be thankyouverymuch and don't ask me why 'cuz some of my answers would be controversial LOL).

Perhaps you can set up your own blog or find a free chat room where you can invite others to chat with you about certain subjects...maybe Tue Cooking Talk, or Thu Home Decorating Chat...you could start with inviting your RL friends and go from there.

Just a thought.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

I know our library has several programs...book and movie discussion groups, etc. If you've ever worked, did your Union ever have a group? Find a group who does community service in a field you like or are interested opinion. We have some historic buildings that have volunteer guides, maybe you do, as well! I would start by choosing an area in which you are very interested. Then, if you need to learn more about it, take classes! You meet people with similar interests that way! Church groups have study groups (meet people there, as well!) Finally, look in the newspaper or online for activities you like in your area! Good luck, and don't be afraid to try something new!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.