Esteemed Contributor

I learned a new word today...KOMOREBI.

This is the word the Japanese have for when sunlight filters through the trees - the interplay between the light and the leaves. I've always loved to see this beautiful sight but I never knew it had a name. Lying on the grass and looking up at the leaves as the sun plays behind them is such a beautiful relaxing sight. 

I wish you all this kind of beauty in your lives. 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Learned a New Word Today

One of the greatest things about learning a foreign language is seeing how other cultures view the world through their language. Komorebi evokes such beautiful images that we English speakers can only describe using many words. The only other language I speak is French. Studying it is my hobby and visiting France and Québec brings the language to life. I've learned such wonderful, often beautiful words that express ideas that words in English just can't describe. I really wish our schools required more foreign language study for our kids.

Respected Contributor

I wonder if they have a word describing the moon light filtered through trees.  I couldn't sleep last night so sat outside on my patio and was thoroughly mesmerized by the amount of light from the full moon and the beautiful play of light and shadow from the trees reflected on the patio floor. There were clouds too, but none covered that beautiful moon, so the sky was full of light and shadow too. It was so peaceful and a reminder for me that despite all my worries, there is a beauty beyond our making to refresh the spirit. Thank you for posting such beautiful photos.

Honored Contributor

A quick bow and Ohio!

Didn't know this word, but I do kind of like *dappled sunlight*, too.

Have a great weekend and Shabot Shalom!

Super Contributor

Sun Valley, how beautifully put!!

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful word !

Thanks for teaching me this new word for something I love as well.
Respected Contributor

@misspammie wrote:

Sun Valley, how beautifully put!!

Thank you misspammie. 

Honored Contributor

Great word, Sunny.  Did you learn how to pronounce it?  

Frequent Contributor

Last night I also sat on my back porch admiring the beauty of a bright moon through the woods.   I wonder how many of us were admiring the same thing.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Great word, Sunny.  Did you learn how to pronounce it?  

It's pronounced....Ko-Mo-RAY-Bee