Honored Contributor

Re: I Know I Did the Right Thing, But My Heart is Still Breaking (WARNING! Sad Animal Story!)

@JAXS Mom wrote:

It's not your fault that the other driver hit the cat. You did waht you could and more than what many people would do, in trying to find medical care for it. If the cat only had a broken hip or leg they can do surgery and repair it. I once hit my own dog that ran right in front of my truck coming out of no where. He had surgery and was fine. If anything at least the cat didn't die a slow painful death. I'm so sorry you had that happen.  

This is most important .... thanks again, @Plaid Pants2

Honored Contributor

Re: I Know I Did the Right Thing, But My Heart is Still Breaking (WARNING! Sad Animal Story!)

Dear @Plaid Pants2

Like others have said, you are not responsible for what others do (including the cat changing direction).  That is what accidents are.

Everything you did was right, and better than right.  It was caring and kind and exactly what many of us here would also do.  

I hope the cat's injuries weren't as bad as they seemed, but if they are, I hope the cat will suffer no longer.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank-you everyone for your kind words. They really touched my heart.

I just got off the phone with the vet clinic, and unfortunately, the cat didn't make it.

Last night was hard for me. I cried. All I could say was, "I'm sorry".

I was sorry that the cat got hit, and hurt, and was in pain. I was sorry for the owner, having lost their pet.

I was listening to my cables music channel, when Sarah McLaughlin's song, (In the Arms of an) Angel came on.

I lost it. I just started bawling.

My heart still hurts, but I know that l'll move forward from this.

Once again, I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. 

They really mean a lot.

Trusted Contributor

Bless you for trying so hard to get help for that little kitty. So very upsetting to see something like that.  I'd be a basket case myself.  So very sorry you had to witness something like that.

Regular Contributor

You did good.  We found a similarly paralyzed cat that had been injured by a neighborhood dog.  We fortunately had a good pet hospital close by that was open on a Sunday, took her there, and had her euthanized.  They didn't charge us because the cat was a stray, but we gave them money anyway.  We have several kitties of our own, and would never want any of them to suffer.

Respected Contributor

Im sorry for all you had to  go through and Im sorry for the kitty that got hit. Not only did you do the right thing, you have a heart of gold.You are a compassionate and caring person and that matters.

Your kindness will not go unnoticed.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

Plaid Pants, talk about strange coincidences-- when my MIL died in a local hospital and I got into the car to go home, that same song came on the radio. I lost it too.

Just know that you did the best you could under the circumstances.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

Plaid, I'm so very sorry you had to go through this. I'm so touched by your willingness to go to such lengths to help this poor animal.

I've been mamma to many cats, and most have lived very long and full lives. I only had one get killed in the road, and it was the hardest thing I've ever dealt with concerning the passing of my pets.

What I can tell you is that everyone who owns cats that go outside (and ours all have, they are miserable to be locked inside all the time) believe that it is their instinct to be outdoors (at times) in nature, stalking and hunting. It is a part of who they are. 

We know that they are at risk. They may become prey to another animal, or they may not stay away from the road. We know deep down inside, every time we let them out the door, may be the last time we see them. We don't take that lightly, it weighs on our hearts. But we know they want to be free to do and be the hunters and roamers that they were born to be. 

I convince myself (as best I can, with my selfish human mind) that I'd rather they have a happy life, than a long miserable one locked in and only looking at life passing them by on the outside.

My kitties have always been able to come in and out as they please, and are in all night and during all bad weather. But they were born of feral mothers, and taught the ways of their kind, It is born in them and they aren't happy to simply wile away their lives inside all the time. I have to fully accept that my dogs, I can control, I can fence the yard, I can walk them on leashes, I can train them to obey my commands, and be outside when they are. Cats are not the same.

I know you must mull over and over, what if.....

What if I had been just seconds slower, what if I had taken a different route, what if, what if. But please don't torture yourself. You did all humanly possible to help fix something that wasn't your fault. And I know you wonder about the kitty's owners, and I would too. But if they are honest with themselves they will know what I know. That they could not deny kitty it's life, and part of being owned by cats is knowing that this is a possibility. 

I don't hold any ill feelings about whoever hit our kitty in the road. It wasn't their fault, it just happens. I only wish it was someone like you who had tried to stop and help, or at least tell us. We missed him for many hours before we found him.

Thank you for your kind heart and making sure at least this kitty didn't have to suffer and die alone. And I hope that sharing here will help you move forward.

Respected Contributor

So sad, but you should find comfort in knowing that you showed mercy to one of God 's  creatures.  For sure, that cat passed  into the next life in more safety and comfort than if it had been left by the side of the road in pain.

You just filled your blessing box.  Smiley Happy  We should all be so merciful and caring.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, you went above and beyond and did everything you could to help this kitten. I can't imagine how traumatic to see it crawling off the road like that. What you did was really so sweet, and I hope God pours out a measure of blessing to you for taking care of one of his sweet creation.