Honored Contributor

Re: I Don't Even Want to Watch Now

On 2/8/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

As of last year it is now legal again to have horse slaughterhouses in the U.S. and sell horse meat. Anyone outraged about that?

Apparently it wasn't illegal, however "The Administration has requested Congress to reinstate the ban on horse slaughter," the USDA said in a statement. "Until Congress acts, the department must continue to comply with current law."

HuffPo

Write your congress member.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Different culture, different ways. The host country is simply that - the host. The athletes are from all over the world and deserve to have their efforts appreciated. They had no choice in where the event would be held so why punish them? Besides I don't recall so much outrage during the Beijing games and they eat dogs.

I agree.

I also believe that high profile events like these shed light on issues that would not be necessarily known to the outside world. I've read where people have gone there to help take care of the dogs and that some have even helped to create shelters. That might not have happened otherwise.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

On 2/8/2014 brii said: I will always support our athletes no matter where they are. That's what they deserve.

I agree.

I would also add for myself, that I support all athletes coming together to compete in a spirit of good nature and goodwill.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2014 terrier3 said:
On 2/8/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

And I support athletes from ALL countries, not just Americans.

They all work hard to be where they are, don't they?

Doesn't mean I have to WATCH.

But people are working to save the dogs too.

And in China, they eat dogs, cats and horses...did you boycott watching that event too?

The people working hard to save the dogs are a great story, IMO.

I feel just as bad for all the human beings who were forced to see their homes bulldozed, had to give up their pets and were moved into poorly constructed apartment buildings. Not just animals were hurt by this...people's lives were upended too.

It will be the same in Rio - the slums are being bulldozed and the people will be "relocated".

Where did I say I was going to "boycott"? I said that I didn't want to watch because the stories about the dogs made me sick. I am glad that there are people working to help them and the people who were put out of their homes (I also mentioned the people, if you'd read my post).

And no, I didn't watch Beijing, as I ALSO mentioned on this thread.

Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2014 SydneyH said:
On 2/8/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

Some of you seem to think that because I don't want to watch that I don't support the athletes.

And some of you go so far as to imply that I'm un-American if I don't watch.

What a crock on both counts.

Afternoon Kitty, a couple of things, there isn't a country on earth that does not participate in some disturbing practices against animals, it is strange that PETA has not weighed in on the Russian practices. That being said, no one has the right to tell others they are being 'over sensitive' imho.

Hi, Sydney. Yes, I understand that (that there isn't a county on earth without animal abuses). My point was just that I was only thinking about what happened to the dogs (and their owners) to put on this way way WAY over priced event. Takes the enjoyment out of it for me.

If people want to flog me for it, they can have at it. Doesn't make a difference to me.

Honored Contributor

Kitty - to answer your original question - I am not interested this year either.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I don't agree with a lot about Russia but that's where the games are and its not our athletes fault and so I am going to support ""team USA"". Also our country has no room to talk. We kill animals all the time. (And we do many other things I do not agree with!). But if you want to stand up for what you believe in and not watch that is your choice because thankfully we do live in a country where you can choose.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

On 2/9/2014 Shorty2U said:

I don't agree with a lot about Russia but that's where the games are and its not our athletes fault and so I am going to support ""team USA"". Also our country has no room to talk. We kill animals all the time. (And we do many other things I do not agree with!). But if you want to stand up for what you believe in and not watch that is your choice because thankfully we do live in a country where you can choose.

Very well said Shorty.

Honored Contributor

As of last year it is now legal again to have horse slaughterhouses in the U.S. and sell horse meat. Anyone outraged about that?

There are no horse slaughter houses in the US. There was no money appropriated for inspections and they can't operate without inspections.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment