Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Prosecutors had originally wanted 4 months.  She gets 14 days.  And her husband and daughter get off clean as a whistle.  I believe they were all in on the scam and should have been charged along with her.

Why don't you throw the maid and the gardener in too?  They addressed that when she was arrested.  The contact, the plan and the monetary payment were all done by Felicity.  Her husband knew but he took no active part in the plan.  They didn't arrest any of the kids in any of these crimes because the kids might have known.  Some did not.  But the kids did not play active rolls in the crime and the kids did not pay out the money.

Honored Contributor

@sensibleshoppingsoothes wrote:

This thread seems to be bringing out the mean and vindictive side of so many of you.it is terrible that money can buy all sorts of advantages, but if you read more about Felicity H. you'll find out all the very good things she's done.  Also she is contrite and has taken responsibility for her actions.  Not all of us can say we always behave similarly.

@sensibleshoppingsoothes  Why of coarse she is...but not out of guilt or shame...only because she got caught.

Honored Contributor

@toria wrote:

Anyone would have gotten if if its a first offense and they have no criminal record. 

Far from the truth!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

So what did she think she was paying $15,00 for?  My children took the SATs, wrote an essay, went for an interview and waited.  I guess that’s part of being a peasant.  

And she’s just so sorry, so contrite?  I’d guess 99% of all people charged with a crime are so “sorry.”  Really?

So-called ignorance is not an excuse.  Sorrow afterwards?  I do believe she was sorry she was caught.

I guess equal justice under the law is a quaint notion.  A very sad day for our country.

Respected Contributor

Re: Huffman sentence

[ Edited ]

here is a brief outline of what transpired.  after fixing older daughter's SAT scores, they also received a letter acknowledging a donation to a phony charity.  they considered doing the same scam again for 2nd daughter - then decided not to.

what they did was so wrong on so many levels.  curious as to why husband not indicted, etc.

[P]rior to the December 2017 SAT, [Singer] met with Huffman and her spouse in their Los Angeles home and explained, in substance, how the college entrance exam scheme worked. According to [Singer], he advised Huffman and her spouse that he “controlled” a testing center, and could arrange for a third party to purport to proctor their daughter’s SAT and secretly correct her answers afterwards. [Singer] has advised investigators that Huffman and her spouse agreed to the plan.

After securing “100 percent extra time” for her older daughter, Sofia Grace Macy, Huffman apparently grew concerned that her daughter’s high school would be proctoring the exam instead–and therefore apparently frustrating the alleged answer-doctoring scheme.

“Ruh Ro! Looks like [my daughter’s high school] wants to provide own proctor,” Huffman allegedly emailed Singer, who wrote back, “We will speak about it.”

This little hiccup was quickly smoothed over.

“In subsequent e-mails, Singer and Huffman agreed to tell the high school counselor that Huffman’s daughter would take the SAT at a different location on December 2nd and 3rd [in 2017]—a Saturday and Sunday—so that she would not miss any school,” the filing notes.

An employee of Singer’s then “purported to proctor [Sofia Grace Macy’s] SAT exam at the West Hollywood Test Center” in December 2017. According to interviews with investigators, this employee said “that each time he was in Los Angeles to proctor an SAT or ACT, he facilitated cheating, either by correcting the student’s answers after the test or by actively assisting the student during the exam.”

The alleged faux-proctoring scheme was apparently a success.

“Ultimately, [Sofia Grace Macy] received a score of 1420 on the SAT, an improvement of approximately 400 points over her PSAT,” the government’s long and winding affidavit reads.

In February of 2018, Huffman and Macy “made a purported contribution of $15,000” to The Key Worldwide Foundation.

One month later, the power couple received a letter from Singer’s bookkeeper Steven Masera which the government claims “falsely stated” the reason for the $15,000 payment was a donation to help fund “self-enrichment programs” for “disadvantaged youth” and that “no goods or services were exchanged.”

In late 2018, Singer advised Huffman that if she wanted to re-enact the alleged cheating scheme with her younger daughter, he would need “at least three weeks’ notice.”

According to a transcript of that phone call, Huffman was open to the idea.

“I won’t know until she takes that–the practice test, of when we should take it,” Huffman allegedly told Singer. “I mean, unless you want to play it safe and do it in March.” The two then agreed on a tentative December test date.

One month later, Huffman allegedly “confirmed that she wanted to proceed with the cheating scheme, but probably only after her daughter first took the exam on her own, without cheating,” according to the government’s affidavit.

Singer appears to believe this was a strategic move on Huffman’s part:

[Singer] has advised law enforcement agents that, in such instances—when parents had their children first take the exams by themselves, to see how they scored without cheating—[Singer] would typically direct [his test-taking employee] to ensure that their second score did not increase by more than 30 percent from the first “baseline” score, in order to avoid any suspicion of cheating.

Things seemed to be moving forward in much the same allegedly untoward direction.

In December 2018, Huffman and Macy allegedly spoke with Singer about their plans to go forward with the cheating scheme. During this call, Singer said the doctoring proctoring session would have the same $15,000 price-tag and inquired as to whether Georgia Grace Macy would also be using extra time to facilitate the answer-changing scheme. Huffman allegedly agreed that two days was better than one.

During a February call, however, Huffman expressed doubts as to whether “a dramatic increase in her daughter’s scores would cause her SAT tutor to suspect cheating.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that,” Singer told Huffman. But apparently the worrying kept up.

In the end, Huffman and Macy decided against using Singer’s services a second go-round.

Macy, notably, is not a named defendant in the indictment.

Respected Contributor

This whole thing makes me sick ....

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

So what did she think she was paying $15,00 for?  My children took the SATs, wrote an essay, went for an interview and waited.  I guess that’s part of being a peasant.  

And she’s just so sorry, so contrite?  I’d guess 99% of all people charged with a crime are so “sorry.”  Really?

So-called ignorance is not an excuse.  Sorrow afterwards?  I do believe she was sorry she was caught.

I guess equal justice under the law is a quaint notion.  A very sad day for our country.

@PamfromCT   It's always been this way. Look how many times the Epstein guy got a slap on the wrist and it wasn't for college bribes.

Frequent Contributor

Don't presume to know her motives.  There have been many articles regarding her good, compassionate, and charitable deeds.  I am certainly not defending the action she was convicted for; I;m just saying that this issue seems to be bringing out the worst in so many of you

Honored Contributor

I remember just about a week or so before this whole mess became public, her hubby, Wm H Macy was on The Talk, he mentioned in conversatioin that when it comes to his daughters his wife is in full charge, said he says very little when it comes to making decisions for his kids and not the disciplinarian in the family, they go to Felicity for most things. 

Honored Contributor

Yes ,what a joke!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.