Honored Contributor

Re: How to tell eating bad food from a stomach bug?

DH will NOT eat at pot lucks or any thing like the above. He feels that today people do not know how to properly handle food.

If you would have gone to the ER they may have been able to answer your questions.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

DH will NOT eat at pot lucks or any thing like the above. He feels that today people do not know how to properly handle food.

If you would have gone to the ER they may have been able to answer your questions.

ITA. They don't know how to properly handle food. Ask one of those younger kids working in fast food what they are wearing the gloves for. They think it's too keep their hands clean.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had genuine food poisoning twice. There was no doubt, because starting about 4-6 hrs after eating, I had diaphoresis (cold sweat), nausea and projectile vomiting, over and over again about every 90 min. for about 18 hrs, and then it was gone - poof. I also had diarrhea, but much more uncontrollable vomiting. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. So a few years later when it happened again, exactly the same, I knew it was food poisoning. It also played out the same, time-wise.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had one bout of food poisoning.  The whole family got sick after getting carry out from a local restaurant.  We all had uppers and downers at the same time.  

Thank goodness it only lasted that night.  Everyone was fine the next day.

Honored Contributor

The few times that I know it was the food I ate, the food didn't digest.

It just sat there and 3 or 4 hours later, I threw it up.

I don't eat at potluck dinners. I just don't trust how the food was handled.

Just because employees are wearing gloves doesn't mean a thing.

They touch the food then handle something else then go back to the food.

They must change gloves every time they start to handle food.

One other thing that I might add.

When and if you eat at a buffet, go wash your hands if you are going to pick up any food.

Those spoons you use, everyone else has used those too.

Honored Contributor

Because this is such an important topic I've in included a graph to show the two.....

VIRUS                                                FOOD POISONING

CausePassed by a virus that attacks the intestines; you catch it by coming in contact with someone who is infected, or by touching something he or she has touched. This virus can also be passed on through contaminated food or water.You get it by eating contaminated food that contains infectious organisms, bacteria (like E. coli), viruses, or parasites.
Symptoms
  • Watery diarrhea
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Fever
  • Muscle aches
  • Headache

Symptoms appear one to two days after exposure to the virus and usually last for one to two days but can last for up to 10 days.

• Abdominal pain, which can be quite severe
  • Loss of appetite
  • Watery diarrhea
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Fever
  • Fatigue

Symptoms can show up within hours of eating contaminated food, but exposure to certain contaminants may not cause symptoms until a few weeks later. Sickness lasts from one to 10 days.

Complications
  • Dehydration (caused by excessive vomiting and diarrhea)
  • Dehydration (caused by excessive vomiting and diarrhea)
  • Exposure to certain types of bacteria may prove fatal to unborn babies
  • Certain strains of E. coli can cause kidney failure
Method of diagnosisA doctor will ask about your symptoms or take a stool sample. If they see bacteria, they know it's not a bug.A doctor will ask you questions about food you've eaten and how long you've felt symptoms and will perform tests such as checking your blood and stool. She may also check for parasites.
Treatment
  • Rest
  • Replace lost fluids
  • Gradually begin to eat bland foods such as toast, rice, and potatoes.
  • Avoid dairy products, caffeine, spicy foods, and fatty foods.
  • Replace lost fluids
  • If symptoms are severe, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics.
PreventionAvoid coming in contact with an infected person or anything he or she has touched. Wash your hands thoroughly and often, especially before you eat and after you use machines at the gym. Don't share personal items like cups, utensils, or towels.Keep your hands, cooking surfaces, and utensils clean. Keep hot food hot and cold food cold. Throw out food that has been sitting out or foods you're not sure about. Cook foods safely and thoroughly. For more tips, check out this post on preventing food poisoning.
*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Just recently my DH and I had food poisoning.  From a local Mexican Restaurant.  We both were sick within 6 hours of eating.  I threw up (violently) everything I ate for a few hours and was feeling better by morning.  DH didn't throw it up and was sick for 5 days before he felt better.  Very difficult to trust a restaurant when something like that happens and there's no way to prove it was their handling of their food that did it..... Woman Indifferent

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Montana... Uppers downers some of the terminology here I will need to write down for later on! Although food poisoning is no laughing matter. With the new terms, it can at least be described in a more "delicate" manner😀
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~