Highlighted
Super Contributor

How to dispose of old car license plates??

Every 8 years in the state of Washington you are automatically sent two new license plates for your car with new numbers. You are not asked if you want them... they send them automatically. There is NOTHING wrong with the old ones... they do not seem to wear out. Seems wasteful to me... But ANYWAY.... They( the state) does not tell you what to do with the old ones. The plates are made of heavy metal of some kind and are not recyclable. I think just throwing them out in the garbage could be a bad thing as someone could put them on a car to rob a bank or something and they still could be traced to you even though you have new plates... I figure the only safe way to dispose of them is to bury them in my yard somewhere... Anyone else have any better ideas? I really do not want to just leave them in the garage as I have enough junk already! This issue has always bothered me as I do keep my cars for about 15 years or more( unlike most people probably!) so I usually get several new sets of plates.