Valued Contributor

Re: How much are sports a part of your life?

Zero for me.  I did hear, however, that some tickets for the Super Bowl game are going for $5,000 plus. Can't imagine spending that kind of $$ for legitimized mayhem.

Honored Contributor

I follow NASCAR (go Ryan Newman!),  professional tennis, and ice skating.  Husband is a Minnesota Vikings fan, so if a game is on I might watch.

Honored Contributor

Love football. Only one game left to go! Used to watch baseball on TV with my Dad when I was young. My first husband got me into football. We used to be two of the few people sitting in the Orange Bowl watching the Miami Dolphins in the old days.

Valued Contributor

I'm not a fan of marathon sports watching and have a husband that does; it drives me crazeeeeee!  I like going to a baseball game (we would take our kids to Minor league games as major league games are outrageously expensive), a hockey game. Not football though, a fate worse than death. To me, IMO, football is a violent sport and as far as American sports go.....has caused many men who played...very serious injuries. Look at Frank Gifford as an example!

I love the British sports and when visiting my family try to go to a local soccer game or cricket if I can find it. It's not a popular game with younger generations. Major teams are as expensive there as they are here. 

As for me participating? I played basketball in high school, a life time ago. I used to run, work out, use the treadmill religiously and, swim. I was critically injured in 2001 and now can't walk without a cane due to nerve damage. So, when I can, I go to a medically based fitness center and use the therapy pool and the lap pool with a board and just kick back and forth. Trying not to get worse off 

Super Bowl? Going to my daughters as her husband and mine are addicted.  When the other family leaves; after eating! We will probably lay on her bed and watch movies after...there is always the puppy bowl!  🐾

Honored Contributor

Hardly at all. I used to play volleyball every weekend when I lived in California, but stopped when I moved to Texas.

We used to have a local hockey team (Austin Ice Bats, who played in the Bat Cave) and I liked to attend those games, but they aren't around anymore. I watch hockey on TV sometimes, but I like going to games in person much more.

I do watch the Olympics whenever they're happening. Love the Olympics!

Honored Contributor

No interest whatsoever in any of the regular seasonal "games".   Huge waste of money IMO.   Some of them seem so pointless.  

As a kid, I was into gymnastics, but the only time we see these are the Olympics, so I do watch some of them.

Trusted Contributor

Not at all for me, no interest at all. If I had to pick it would be baseball and I've been to a Yankees world series game back in the 80's-my sister stood in line all night for tickets. My dad was a big Yankee fan, so that was that. My hubby is not a sports guy, his father was a total sports nut but it didn't pass to him. When my daughter was young I suggested soccer which most of the other kids tried but she had no interest. She would cry when we'd take her bowling-Smiley Happy She's better now. Super Bowl Sunday has always been a good day to go out for dinner because a lot of places aren't crowded. Well maybe the sports bars are.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I was looking into getting rid of my cable and getting Sling and/or other replacement services.  Clearly, sports events are a big thing for most TV watchers, as they had multiple sports channels and didn't even have all the cable news channels, which is my top priority.  I ended up calling Comcast and getting my bill reduced from about $170/month (before taxes) to about $113.  In past years, I've only been able to get $20 knocked off my bill when the bundle expired, but they knew I was done with them and they gave me their new customer rate (or so they said).  They still were a bit more than Verizon, but it was easier to stay.

I wish these streaming services that replace cable weren't so heavy on the sports.  I like to watch ice dancing and even figure skating, but that's about it, and i never catch the competitions in time to see them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can take them or leave them. I know more about baseball and I played it all through my childhood in my neighborhood. Football is not really my cup of tea, but i do watch the Seahawks in most of their games. I have given up on my poor hapless Mariners. When we couldln't even get to the World Series with Lou Piniella at the helm and Ken Griffey, Randy Johnson, A Rod, and Edgar Martinez on the roster, I pretty much gave up and decided that Seattle would end up the farm team for the major league. Our ballpark is wonderful, but the team continues to disappoint.

Esteemed Contributor

I was an awkward uncoordinated girl so playing sports were not a part of my youth. However, I followed baseball religiously and soon enjoyed gymnastics, figure skating, Indycar Racing and college basketball into my early 40's.  I find the older I get, the less interest I have in sports.  I do watch some things occasionally now but not like I used to.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown