Respected Contributor

Re: How many days can you stay home before getting Cabin Fever?

For me it's more a case of freedom to do as I please....if I know I have the freedom to go out but choose not to then I'm fine...but if there are restrictions (health/weather) then I get antsy if I can't get out.  

Honored Contributor

I got cabin fever when I worked but since I've been home for so many years, I don't get cabin fever.. I love being home, my husband works from home- he stays on his side of the house and I wander all over, LOL ..  We pretty much come and go as we darn well please, like every few days we go to do errands, recycling, whatever toots our horn.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

For me it's more a case of freedom to do as I please....if I know I have the freedom to go out but choose not to then I'm fine...but if there are restrictions (health/weather) then I get antsy if I can't get out.  

@straykatz: That sums up my sentiments very well. It's all psychological. If weather conditions prevent me from getting out, that makes me want to all the more, even if l have nothing important to accomplish.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

The last time I left the house (besides going out to get the mail which is at the end of the driveway) was the Saturday after Thanksgiving, now granted I have medical issues, I will get out on Monday for a doctor appointment, it no longer bothers me to be inside so much, it is my life, so I have learned to accept it.

Trusted Contributor

I could easily stay in a week or more and never go out (except to take the dogs out). However, I had a job where I traveled nearly all the time for close to 40 years – some of those years I literally lived on the road with no “home” to go to – just moved from city to city for work. So this is the dessert of my life, to have my home & DH and I just love being around both as much as I possibly can.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

After all those years of having to be somewhere almost everyday, I can take a lot of home time. I like getting out, but it not necessary to my mental health, I'm never bored.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Interesting question.  I work from home fulltime, 5 days a week now.  I worked from home all of 2016 but I had the option of going into the office whenever I wanted to.  I went in about once a week.  Now I am a remote worker and I don't have an office or even a desk in the office and there is no reason for me to be there.  Don't get me wrong, I love love love being a remote worker.  But I feel a little disconnected and lonely at times.  I miss the social aspects of the office.  Also, this new job isn't connected to all that "office stuff" so my co-workers and office friends don't email me like they used to. Cabin fever is a good way to phrase it.  However, the good thing is that I can work absolutely anywhere in the world where I have wifi access.  So, when the weather gets nice, I can go visit friends or spend a few hours working at local coffee shop or pop into the library and work.  Have laptop.....will travel...and see other humans.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat Besides physical I also have been diagnosed with agoraphobia and social phobia, during my really low points in my life, it can be 6 months before I leave the house, in my case social phobia has me fearful of people, it started to really get bad when I went through being bullied as an adult, and now again we have a very stressful family situation that has been happening, when stress enters my life, I tend to shut down and force the world out.

And YES, I do see doctors in regard to all my mental and physical diagnosis, and I take enough medication to gag a horse each day, I have been given coping skills and for me the best treatment is one day and sometimes one minute at a time.  

I have to go out on Monday for a doctors' appointment and I have already started fearing this appointment, but I will be OK, I will be OK!

Honored Contributor

I enjoy one day at home but at the end of the second one I am going nuts!

Esteemed Contributor

@CareBears, I just revisited a late '70s recording by Ben Sidran, called "Face Your Fears".  I understand.  Look it up on YouTube, or check out the lyrics on line.  Corny?  I think so.  But rings true.

Cogito ergo sum