Respected Contributor

Re: How do you feel about kids playing on top of Memorials?

Were these children playing or asked by their parents to pose for a picture. I hope someone finds the people in the picture and asks them what they were actually thinking. I wonder if the photographer got permission from the children's parents to post their pictures. I guess I have mixed feelings about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I worked in DC and was walking distance from this area. When I ran at lunchtime, most runners (including me) observed signs to not run in this area. However, it was nothing to see pictures like the one shown with children all over the things.

Additionally, many of the memorials that had water features served as wading pools in the summer for the kids and babies. So much so, that they finally put up signs asking tourists to not let their kids, babies, dogs play in the water. I saw many a baby with a loaded diaper splashing around in the water at the FDR memorial.

And, while I'm at it, another small horror was watching tourists break off branches of the cherry trees! It nearly made me foam at the mouth, and several times I asked them to stop. The parents would glare at me and the breaking of branches would continue.

It just defies understanding.

Some people simply have no sense or respect.

Trusted Contributor

Add me to those who think that it's disrespectful.

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 sgraham30 said:

Add me to those who think that it's disrespectful.

And me. It's sad that more parents aren't teaching their children respect.

Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Witchy Woman said:

I worked in DC and was walking distance from this area. When I ran at lunchtime, most runners (including me) observed signs to not run in this area. However, it was nothing to see pictures like the one shown with children all over the things.

Additionally, many of the memorials that had water features served as wading pools in the summer for the kids and babies. So much so, that they finally put up signs asking tourists to not let their kids, babies, dogs play in the water. I saw many a baby with a loaded diaper splashing around in the water at the FDR memorial.

And, while I'm at it, another small horror was watching tourists break off branches of the cherry trees! It nearly made me foam at the mouth, and several times I asked them to stop. The parents would glare at me and the breaking of branches would continue.

It just defies understanding.

Some people simply have no sense or respect.

Ugh that makes me mad.

Respected Contributor

The saddest thing is the Parents allowed this to occur, so evidently they also lack morals and respect for those who gave up their lives, so others and their children could live in a USA democratic environment, and also enjoy their right to various freedoms.

Super Contributor

Deplorable.

Don't blame the kids though, obviously they don't know any better. It's the parents' fault. If the kids are not taught respect, that's what you end up with.

Super Contributor

On 3/26/2015 heartkeeper said:

What's the difference between this and walking and jogging through cemeteries? How about when people walk their dogs in cemeteries?And it's not children doing the walking, dog-walking, and jogging. It's adults. In a past thread many here defended using cemeteries as a recreational space.

Maybe the difference lies in whether people are walking through the cemetery or stepping on the graves of the deceased.

Valued Contributor

Disrespectful !

Regular Contributor

Just another example of society's decline of scruples.