Honored Contributor

Re: How do you feel about kids playing on top of Memorials?

On 3/26/2015 LaVieEnRose said:
On 3/25/2015 raven-blackbird said:

I'm not much on memorials.......I find it disrespectful to pay homage to a statue, and ignore some not so good realities... those vets that are alive are overlooked and pushed to the side or not provided services they desperately need..........suicide rate among our vets is horrendous..........those vets that statue represents died so those kids could play in a free country........even if it's on a statue..........<em>we show our appreciation to those that died, by making sure their "brothers in arms" are treated with respect and provided for...............................raven</em>

So a veteran who visits such memorials is being disrespectful?

Agreed.

But we don't have to exclude the placement, maintenance and reverence to memorials as well. They can be both a reminder of those sacrifices made, and a reminder to provide for those still here. We don't have to exclude one to accomplish the other.

Respected Contributor

It's disrespectful and it speaks to the ignorance of the parents.
Super Contributor

There are a lot of ignorant and disrespectful people in this big old melting pot of a country. Unfortunately, unless the children are taught by someone other than their parents who apparently don't have a clue, don't stand a chance.

Super Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Tyak said: It's disrespectful and it speaks to the ignorance of the parents.

exactly

Respected Contributor

I read this very topic on Facebook lol

Super Contributor

I definitely find it disrespectful.

Respected Contributor

It really is disrespectful but it could have been turned into a teaching moment if one of the on-lookers spoke to the children. It takes a village to raise kids and although the parents clearly didn't know any better, at least the children could be educated about "sacred memorials." Kids are like sponges and often what we learn in our childhood stays with us for a lifetime....

Honored Contributor

Softraindrops, also a learning moment for the parents.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Shaunac said:

The same way I feel about people (adults or children) walking across cemetery plot markers. Disrespectful.

I was taught from a very early age to walk between the markers, not on them or across the part of the grass where one was laid to rest. I see people doing this all the time and it makes me cringe (and crazy).

Back many years ago when my best friend and I were in our early 20's her much older brother died. When the headstone came in and she went with her family to view it they photos of it. She and his daughter sat together on top of the headstone with their backs touching and their spiked high heeled shoes resting on the stone and up and their knees hugging against their chests. Typical pose you might see in a high school yearbook with the cheerleaders. I told her she could be mad but I thought that was disgusting display. She did agree that after getting it developed she did not believe it was a proper shot.

Like you I was taught to walk around the grave site and not across, much less sit on someone's marker or a memorial like the photo in this thread.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Suziepeach said:

Softraindrops, also a learning moment for the parents.

Hi Suzie!Smile Yes, a moment to teach the parents as well. We are never too old to learn something new.