Honored Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

[ Edited ]

I travel a lot for work.  The week long trips I find the most challenging.

1.  Weight - I use packing cubes/envelopes.  I bring the empty suitcase downstairs and bring the cubes down as I pack them so that I don't have to haul a 45 lb suitcase down the stairs (I do the same thing in reverse, I bring the cubes up in batches.

2.  Travel clothing - Depending on the time of year, I will travel in dress jeans (black or blue depending on #3) or shorts and wear running shoes.  Jeans and running shoes probably take up the most room in the suitcase, so I tend to wear those to travel in to save room.

3.  Black, White or Blue bottoms - I pick a base color for pants, skirts and shoes.  For work clothing, I bring one pair of shoes to go with all the bottoms and then I mix and match tops that can be worn for work and casually at night for dinner with jeans or shorts or whatever I am wearing in my off time.  I have a large collection of Talbot's charming cardigans and shells that I mix and match. I also have a collection of these Kasper shells that go with my solid cardigans (I have the cardigans in long and 3/4 sleeves depending on the season).

CardiKasper

4.  Workout clothing - It is too difficult to pack a week's worth of workout clothing, I would need a separate suitcase just for that, so I bring my bathingsuit and use the pool at the hotel (most of the Marriotts I stay at have a pool).

6.  Casual clothing - We typically go out to dinner as a group one night and then do smaller group activities (shopping, dinner, movie) on other nights.  If it's fall/winter, I will wear the dress jeans I wore on the plane with my dress shoes.  If it's shorts/skort weather, I will bring a pair of nice flat sandals.

I like to keep my suitcase around 45 lbs in case I have to add something or in case the weight is off at one of the airports.  I don't like to get too close tot he 50 lb limit.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

There are some pretty good packing videos on YouTube.  Whether you want to travel with just a carry-on, or stow, or both, or whatever.  Just type in what you want to do and there is a video for it.

Honored Contributor

People who travel with just a carry on are not human.

I have always said, the amount of liquids you can carry on the plane should be on a scale based on age.

20 and under = 1 ounce
30 and under = 4 ounces
40 and under = 8 ounces
50 and under = 16 ounces
51+ = a gallon

;o)
===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:
People who travel with just a carry on are not human.

I have always said, the amount of liquids you can carry on the plane should be on a scale based on age.

20 and under = 1 ounce
30 and under = 4 ounces
40 and under = 8 ounces
50 and under = 16 ounces
51+ = a gallon

;o)

In your bladder?raised eyebrows

Trusted Contributor

I read an article many years ago that said to lay out on your bed all the clothing and shoes you think you'll need and then leave exactly half at home!  That will be all you will need.  I tried it and they were right.  I've been doing it ever since.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago my mom taught my sister and I to travel the world with ONE suitcase! Her moto was "Take half as many clothes, tiwce the money and an extra soft-sided suitcase packed inside your luggage!" I'm now 67 and continue to utilize such sage advice. Of course, I often return with one-of-a-kind items found in wonderful locales which remind me of fabulous trips. Beats worrying about "what to take" and "what goes with what". I pack the essentials, good walking shoes and an evening outfit. If something else comes up that wasn't expected, I simply buy for the situation. Returning home I may have to pay for the extra suitcase, but it beats having to pay for it BOTH ways! Great advice from a well-travelled lady, who throught trips were as much an education as going to school.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a terrible overpacker because I follow the "in case of" plan.  Then there are the mulitple pairs of shoes needed, extra undies, and multiple accessory options, "in case" I want to wear a necklace or scarf.  Then there's the skincare, hair care, epilator, makeup, mulitple makeup brushes, vitamins, hair tools and styling products, and "just in case" OTC meds.  I always bring my own blow dryer as I just can't stand the ones proviced by the hotel.  IMO, they're good for nothing.  A couple of weeks ago we were gone for 4-5 days and I swear I could have comfortably stayed gone for two weeks!  It's a good thing that most of our trips are by car because I just know I'd be heavily charged for excess baggage weight if we were flying.  The one tip I've heard, though, is that rolling clothes enables you to pack more and hopefully prevent some wrinkling.  I still bring my steamer though.  

Honored Contributor

I would sooner bring more than I needed than not have something. I want my vacation to be as relaxing and fun as possible so I will always overpack.  It's better to have  than just have to make do or have to spend time shopping for what you didn't bring!!  I like to have a variety of choices and limiting myself to only mix and match repeat wear options would take some of the fun away.  I also don't really want to have to do laundry all the time.  I can't rewear something I already wore for a day without washing it. 

As for taking old underwear and throwing it out - well how much room does underwear actually take anyway??!!!    My mother would not like that one as what would happen if you had to go to the  hospital with old underwear??!!

For me, the stress of possibly not having something I need would almost ruin the fun and relaxation of a vacation.

Honored Contributor

If we are travleing by car, I pack a lot, if we fly for a week I try to stay in a place with access to a washer and limit myslef to 3 or 4 sets of undies and outfits, and was often usually between the activites of the day and dinner

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Harpa, right on target! I just took 3-4 pair of shoes out. What was I thinking!?

Oh my gosh, I don't know. That's so funny. I'm a HUGE overpacker and I've NEVER packed more than 3 pairs of shoes, even when I went to a wedding and had to bring one gold peep-toe pump to wear in the wedding party.

My problem is that I learned how to pack when I used to go to camp for several weeks or months over the summer. Because we were so remote and couldn't leave the camp to run to the store, I had to make sure I had everything. As I transitioned from camper to counselor, I was able to leave to make store runs once a week or go home for 24 hours, but I also needed to be at camp for months instead of weeks AND I needed to have things like costumes and special event items. And the longer you're stuck in a cabin with no amenities, the more comforts of home you want to bring.

It's taken me a long time to relax and not panic about what would happen if I forgot toothpaste or lotion, but I still pack too many clothes.